Require Multiple Unusual Sales for Pricing

AwesomeMcCoolName

Normal items can't be given a price until a couple days after they were added (not really sure if thats actually written anywhere or if its just an unwritten rule).

So why don't unusuals have the same restrictions? A lot of times with new unusuals (especially with new effects), people have no clue where an effect will settle, and therefore often overpay or sell it for to little. And these sales often become a flat price on unusuals. Unfortunately, this then sets the price. Rather than following the market, when it comes to new hats/effects bp.tf often ends up leading the market by setting prices too soon after an item is released. 

So you should need multiple sales as one sale isn't enough to truly know what the hat will continue to sell for. One sale just shows what one desperate person was willing to pay. Now, once a hat/effect has been around for a while, one sale is perfectly fine as proof, but for the first suggestion, one sale isn't enough to show what the true market value is. 

I don't think so.

Also, do enforce this please... One of people's biggest complaints is that bptf undervalued a new unusual, and then it never "regained"] It's value.

I don't think so.

Also, do enforce this please... One of people's biggest complaints is that bptf undervalued a new unusual, and then it never "regained"] It's value.

Still waiting for more mods to reply/agree to enforce a policy change like this.

Please do this! It's only really been a recent problem with Valve rapidly releasing new batches of effects now, but some of them are horrendously misleading. The "one-of-one/one-of-three/one-of-only-six-when,-in-comparison,-there-are-thirty-Stormy-Storm-ones so only one sale matters" argument shouldn't be permissible with a recently-released effect.

"BUT, theres a difference. Those hats have stabalized. They have a place in this market. The new effects, and the new hats don't. When backpack.tf puts a price on a new unusual too early it ends up controlling the market.

I can't remeber which hat it was, but a hat was constantly getting offers in the 3 bud range. A sale occurred at 2.4, and the price was set to 2.4-3 buds. Then, after that price was set the owner who was getting the 3 bud offers suddenly stopped getting 3 bud offers, and could barely could offered 2.5. Ultimately he ended up selling it for 2.5 buds because he couldn't get more.

The problem is new items don't have a place in the market, so when backpack.tf puts a price on it, it controls the offers it gets since people don't have a clue how to value it, so they rely on backpack.tf. If a price is set too soon on a new hat, backpack.tf tends to control the market."

yeah, thats when you change it. offers are often always bp.tf lowest price or under it, so they can do some profit out of it. 90% of all offers are that way. so ofcourse that happens. people are scared that the effects will go so much lower they actually sell it off. which means the hat can sell 5 times in one month. bp.tf counts quicksells up to a week. 5 times in a month is quicksell on all sales, yet it will be enough to be given a price. just because people are scared.

i think 1 sale should be enough. a sale is a sale. if its not the price in a month, then you change the price. thats how this site work. reflect the market as it is right now. if one sale has happened and its only one, then thats the market

i think 1 sale should be enough. a sale is a sale. if its not the price in a month, then you change the price. thats how this site work. reflect the market as it is right now. if one sale has happened and its only one, then thats the market

Sides gone.

If a price is set too soon on a new hat, backpack.tf tends to control the market."

i think 1 sale should be enough. a sale is a sale.

These two comments seem to be at odds with each other. We are requiring 2 sales for this very reason - so that a price is not set too soon. And if the two sales are at odds with each other and you can't tell which is the outlier, wait for a third sale.

"BUT, theres a difference. Those hats have stabalized. They have a place in this market. The new effects, and the new hats don't. When backpack.tf puts a price on a new unusual too early it ends up controlling the market.

I can't remeber which hat it was, but a hat was constantly getting offers in the 3 bud range. A sale occurred at 2.4, and the price was set to 2.4-3 buds. Then, after that price was set the owner who was getting the 3 bud offers suddenly stopped getting 3 bud offers, and could barely could offered 2.5. Ultimately he ended up selling it for 2.5 buds because he couldn't get more.

The problem is new items don't have a place in the market, so when backpack.tf puts a price on it, it controls the offers it gets since people don't have a clue how to value it, so they rely on backpack.tf. If a price is set too soon on a new hat, backpack.tf tends to control the market."

yeah, thats when you change it. offers are often always bp.tf lowest price or under it, so they can do some profit out of it. 90% of all offers are that way. so ofcourse that happens. people are scared that the effects will go so much lower they actually sell it off. which means the hat can sell 5 times in one month. bp.tf counts quicksells up to a week. 5 times in a month is quicksell on all sales, yet it will be enough to be given a price. just because people are scared.

Except, thats exactly the problem. Because new effects are so unstable, buyers and sellers alike rely on a place like backpack.tf as they have no idea where to put it themselves, which results in the the need for a new suggestion, which results in new types of offers. With new hats/effects, backpack.tf will control the market if it sets the price too quickly.

If i buy a stormy 13th Buckaroos (lets assume its never sold before) for 50 buds, can i set the price to 50 buds? I mean, a sale is a sale. 

These two comments seem to be at odds with each other. We are requiring 2 sales for this very reason - so that a price is not set too soon. And if the two sales are at odds with each other and you can't tell which is the outlier, wait for a third sale.

The first comment was me. 

Archived