The Backpack.tf Newsletter

λngelღмander

Wait what, how am I the only editorial author?

The other editorial writer and I had a major disagreement, he's no longer part of the staff. Fenrir may or may not be joining the editorial staff, depending on whether or not he writes one for this week.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Water Salesman was banned for 24 hours for calling Prof. Sugarcube "A massive faggot".

THIS IS SOME NEWSWORTHY STUFF RIGHT HERE

Water Salesman was banned for 24 hours for calling Prof. Sugarcube something along the lines of "A relatively large homosexual".

Two things

1. Gent would like hit the ceiling in happiness

2. Lel, and people wonder why i took a temporary leave from the forums

Water Salesman was banned for 24 hours for calling Prof. Sugarcube something along the lines of "A relatively large homosexual".

Two things

1. Gent would like hit the ceiling in happiness

2. Lel, and people wonder why i took a temporary leave from the forums

ok

Posted · Hidden by OverduePixels, April 20, 2015 - Posts hidden to make the thread cleaner.
Hidden by OverduePixels, April 20, 2015 - Posts hidden to make the thread cleaner.
March 22

The BPTF Newsletter enters its fourth week!

• 0gravity0 finally earned himself a permanent caution from FoG. His trading with scammers and alts caught up with him.

March 23

• A thread made by sirploko of  TF2outpost has made trading with backpack.tf automatic completely impossible. If one uses BPTF automatic's service to sell an item to a scammer, they will be banned by TF2outpost. This basically ensures that the use of BPTF automatic is dangerous at any price higher than 3 keys, which almost defeats its purpose.

• Puddingkip rejected and locked a moderator application today, his first time doing so.

March 24

• TheVenomWithin made a thread today about the introduction of tradesafe.tf. Has he learned nothing from his experiences with SourceRep? On the outset, most users have expressed their firm disapproval of the idea.

• d0 wrote a very biased but still scintillating dissertation on the corruption of steamrep today.

March 25

•  DiamondHavoc has decided to quit trading and possibly quit being a part of the BPTF community. A forum member for over a year, he will be sorely missed.

• Kuuko-San, a member of the forums, finally found the golden pan he was looking for. He paid a little less than 100 buds, and in items. While he didn't shark the pan, the seller could have gotten more for it, and in pure. It is certain he will receive quite a bit of criticism for it, already multiple people have expressed their negative views on the matter.

• Early this morning, Geel9 from scrap.tf announced his intentions to add auctions to scrap.tf.  | Water Salesman was banned for 24 hours for calling Prof. Sugarcube something along the lines of "A relatively large homosexual".

March 26

• Bans under one day are no longer allowed to be requested on the ban requests thread, due to frequent abuse.

• That Spu was banned from backpack.tf for chargebacking his premium through his bank. Why would a user with a backpack worth a little over ten thousand dollars in TF2 alone chargeback something as cheap as premium?â– Prof. Sugarcube has returned to the forums, after a twenty day hiatus.

March 27

• Scrap.tf's raffles have become donator exclusive for the duration of the beta

• Zcrab has begun to impersonate Brad Pitt, the alias of the owner of backpack.tf, on steam. Will his actions get him banned or marked?

March 28

• Bomber Rat got scammed over a premium gift today, the user has already been reported. My own attempts to add the user to coerce them into returning the items failed miserably, he has not heeded my warning about a mark on Steamrep.â– Spicy Ham has returned, his long requested ban ended.â– Newb, an admin of the very large raffle group Raffle House, was marked for trading with scammers.

Weekly Editorial #3 Outpost oversteps its bounds? - An editorial by Fenrir

I’m sure many of you may heard that TF2Outpost has taken the liberty of suspending the accounts of people who trade with scammers and scammer  alts through backpack.tf automatic. This includes more than just buying from a scammer, if you sell to a scammer via automatic than you are banned on outpost. While this raises larger questions, (which I will attempt to tackle near the end of this editorial) one might be able to see the problems with this rule. So in an attempt to raise awareness and perhaps just get my opinion out there, I’m going to try to present all the facts here and explain my disapproval of this idea. One last thing before we begin; it should be noted that this is in no way personally attacking the TF2Outpost staff.

Buying from a scammer or scammer alt through backpack.tf automatic will get you banned from outpost. Basically what this rule implies, and as sirploko has stated himself, is that if you have the “misfortune†to end up trading with a scammer through automatic trades, you’re screwed. In essence, the reason why we mark for trading with scammers is that you deliberately helped a scammer, and this could have been stopped. You had the option to say, “Hey, maybe I shouldn’t trade with this scammer and help them out.†However, when you trade with a scammer via your BPTF automatic bot, you are not given that option. The trade goes down without you knowing about whether the buyer is a scammer or not. This has been compared to buying from a scammer on the SCM by some other forum members. The idea being that you don’t get marked for buying from scammers on SCM because the seller is anonymous. The idea is the same for automatic, you don’t know who will purchase your items (they are anonymous), therefore you should not be marked.

Other forum members have suggested that Outpost is putting in place rules for another website. While I don’t entirely agree with this, I see where they are coming from. It’s almost as if Outpost is making it so no one can sell anything on automatic over the value of a Bill’s for fear of getting screwed over by TF2Outpost. Another possibility is that with this rule in place, a scammer could go “cranwell†and start buying from automatic bots everywhere, just to have a little fun. But for me this issue raises a bigger question; is selling to a scammer really “helping†the scammer? If a scammer pays your B/O in pure (which is the only thing that the Automatic bots accept) isn’t the scammer helping you? And to take this one step further, why doesn’t this rule apply to site like dispenser.tf, scrap.tf, and trade.tf? Why is backpack.tf automatic specifically targeted in this, while many websites do the exact thing? Sirploko has argued that scrap.tf checks for SteamRep tags on login. However, so does bp.tf automatic. No bot will ever be able to differentiate a scammer alt from a normal trader. This is something that can simply not be coded. This makes it feel ad hominem toward backpack.tf. I should hope admins between both websites work something out as otherwise the rift between Outpost and backpack will only widen.

Weekly Editorial #4 Explaining the rise of keys in refined, and the drop of the refined in US Dollar - An editorial by cares

Back in the 'good old days', when keys were 2.66 refined, all was bad. Keys were too expensive! Fast-forward to 2015 Q1, keys are 19 refined, all is bad. People have always complained about the price of keys. But are they rightfully doing so?

In 2012 (and earlier), keys sold for about 2.33 (2.66 later) refined and no more. Refined sold for about $0.40 PayPal, and keys were $1.20. This was because of carders, people who use stolen credit cards and launder money. In the TF2 economy, carders bought $2.49 keys from the Store and sold them for PayPal to resellers ($1 or so), who then each continued to flip them for a profit. They got about 40% of the money back in a clean, untraceable way. Definitely worth it for carders, since simply transferring money to your real bank account (or even using several proxies) can easily get you caught. Some later carders also bought buds for above market value, you can read more on this here. Very important is to note the amount of refined in the game (according to stats.tf), which at the time was about 600k). This was even before the change in idling making it significantly less worthwhile! (April 2013)

Now in 2015, Valve has almost completely eliminated the once common carder through various means (such as the untradable cooldown), and keys have skyrocketed in PayPal to about $1.80 (still not the $2.49 in the Store, and it never will be, but it certainly improved). SCM was also introduced since (well, it was in beta in December 2012, but that's basically 2013 anyway). That said, keys are 19 ref and rising at the time of writing, and refined is about $0.10. Since 2012, more people have been playing, and tons more drops have been spawned in (2 years + ~12 weeks = 116 weeks, * 8 drops per week and you end up at 928 weapons per player as a theoretical maximum, which is 51 refined). That's right, 51 refined (as theoretical maximum) per player. Steam reports 80k concurrent players at the time of writing, let's say even just 20k of those players trade, you end up with 1,020,000 refined metal. Those 80k players are just a small portion of those who play TF2 every week. stats.tf states it knows of 3.2 million (so 2.6m added) unique, unduped refined (at the time of writing), and that's just the amount of ref in public backpacks! Since then stats.tf has indexed lots of refined that did exist at the time, but that it didn't know about, but you should also consider that a lot of people still craft hats/tokens/reclaimed/scrap with metal, and so on. There's also millions of scrap and reclaimed metal and I'm not even taking that into consideration.

It should be pretty straightforward to do the math now. Since 2012, there has been at least 4.3x as much metal in the game. If we take the old value of keys ($1.20, 2.66) and multiply 2.66 by 4.3, you end up with about 11.33 ref for a key, or close to the current price of ~$0.10. Adjust that for the current key price (2.66 * (1.8 / 1.2) = 4 ) and we get the 17-ish ref. Given that ref is more or less useless, and the price is coming close to $0.09 right now anyway, give or take 2 ref isn't that odd. Once again, that 2 ref should still be easily to explain if we take into account the additional scrap and reclaimed in the game, as well as any that might be in private backpacks.

In conclusion, no, the economy is not dying whatsoever. Ever since the carder problem got dealt with, keys have had a way more healthy price in the second hand market. People may complain now that keys are skyrocketing in refined, but that's only because they have been too low in the first place for too long. The increase in price matches the growth in quantity, as it should, in a functioning economy.

March 29 A satirical puddingkip fan group was created today, the whole event orchestrated by Sphere Box. The group already has more than 20 members, ironically more populous than puddingkip's own fan group. A relatively large portion of the members of that group have posted modified versions of puddingkip's picture as their profile images, and have added "kip" to their names. 

im in it but i will be the eminem cus fuck that

The sphere interview in a nutshell

A: so what do you think about the bud crash

S:I DONT CARE ABOUT KEYS OR BUDS. I CARE ABOUT BOXES.

The sphere interview in a nutshell

A: so what do you think about the bud crash

S:I DONT CARE ABOUT KEYS OR BUDS. I CARE ABOUT BOXES.

Everyone cares about boxes, it's a well known fact hidden from you by the illuminati.

March 31 Today, buds were removed as an option for pricing items. Items can no longer be priced in buds at all, only keys and refined metal. Has the end of buds as a currency finally arrived?

oshit

Too confusing because of your grammatical errors and diction. What does this post even mean?

nevermind im terrible at explaining things ^^"

Posted · Hidden by OverduePixels, April 20, 2015 - Posts hidden to make the thread cleaner.
Hidden by OverduePixels, April 20, 2015 - Posts hidden to make the thread cleaner.

Ayy, what about my desuchan link?

NEW STAFF POSITIONS OPENING

I'm cleaning out the inactive staff tonight, there are now more slots.

NEW STAFF POSITIONS OPENING

I'm cleaning out the inactive staff tonight, there are now more slots.

Eh, what do you need done? I may be able to help

Eh, what do you need done? I may be able to help

Basically, if I message you or post a group announcement (in the bptf newsletter group), I want you to tell me everything you recall about the day that I specify, and that will allow me to do my job.

Basically, if I message you or post a group announcement (in the bptf newsletter group), I want you to tell me everything you recall about the day that I specify, and that will allow me to do my job.

Not sure about the accuracy of my recall, but I usually know things. Ever consider talking to Sphere? He knows what goes on around the forums as well as most people

My app and rejection aren't in here. 0/10.

you app is in here, what are you talking about

And I actually saw this comment as I made my way here to update it on your rejection.

You're evil Angel.

Archived