Why all the hate on the Unusual pricelist?

CheddarZX

My general understanding is this

hat sold for 5 buds

price set at 5 buds

the value of buds or keys change (in terms of metal)

price is no longer 5 buds

the issue is rooted in the fact that the values are stored in $USD rather than the currency they are entered in.

Most of the hate is generally just because sellers disagree with it and buyers are hesitant to offer more than it is valued here.

There are a couple problems. 

The way bptf prices are set is essentially by taking the average value an item is traded for. Now this is perfectly fine when an item is traded 30+ times a day. Think about averages. Take the average speed of 3 hour drive for a 20 minute period, and then take the average for the full 3 hours. What will be a more accurate representation of your speed for the drive? Obviously the 3 hour average. The more information available the more accurate an average will be. 

Now the problem with unusuals is that they aren't traded frequently enough. On average it takes 1-3 weeks to trade an unusual. And on average there are lets say 6~ unusuals on Outpost. So there isn't a large enough sample size to get an accurate representation. Then consider how highly subjective the unusual market is. You're already taking a subjective subject (i.e. hats), and refining it even more by adding expensive effects that some like, and others don't. 

And then theres the issue of how prices are stored leading to inaccurate prices. 

Finally, bp.tf bases prices on pure offers. So, buyers see bp.tf price and want to to buy it for less so they can sell it for bp.tf price. Well, eventually that'll drag prices down. So bp.tf has actually pulled down the unusual market. Additionally, the main people who use bp.tf's unusual list (and the ones it was meant for) are newer traders, and as a general rule, newer traders are dumb asses. These are the people who will usually call you a scammer for asking for more or offering less. So you end up with people trying to strictly follow bp.tf, which destroys the whole dynamic of unusual overpay, and the subjective nature of unusuals.

Don't get me wrong, the unusual price list has done a lot of good in preventing sharks, but its also made unusual trading a mess. 

Basically what jymotion said.

My hats are priced at 

all go down .1 bud a day later.

USD is killin me.

Its mainly wrong because of how backpack.tf was run in the beginning. Example:

oL2b4X3.png

Not to mention rare unusuals that are out of date:

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51d57c264bd7b8840d000002 (look at the price jump in the Alternate/Past suggestions section)

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51c10977ba2536102d000019 (look at the difference between new and current price section)

Basically Brad and whatever the name of his friend was that priced most of the unusuals beforehand without price suggestions that lead to a lot of inaccuracies in the pricelist in earlier items that extend to today.

Not to mention the USD thing that has just been escalating as an issue since keys have been increasing in price so much and thus inversely dropping the price of unusuals.

All that said the pricelist is relatively fine for items below 5 buds and maybe even those below 10 buds, but once you get higher up in unusual trading; people begin to believe backpack.tf is wrong because you can only make a price suggestion based on the other current prices on backpack.tf, so you'd have to update countless unusuals in order to finally price yours since people rarely pay in pure at that point. By the time you factor in overpay all the way back to your own unusual, it was not worth it to even take the time to do that.

There's a lot of hat's that are incorrectly price, and not enough people to gather up evidence to make proper updates. There's also the problem with people who denounce the website so they can create their own prices. Most of the time people hating on bp.tf just don't know how price suggestions work, or understand how admins process suggestions. And lastly you have the ever recurring problem of unusuals getting their prices shifted around (in buds) because of the fluctuating earbud market.

There's also the problem with people who denounce the website so they can create their own prices. Most of the time people hating on bp.tf are upset they can't shark people anymore. 

FTFY

There's a lot of hat's that are incorrectly price, and not enough people to gather up evidence to make proper updates. There's also the problem with people who denounce the website so they can create their own prices. Most of the time people hating on bp.tf just don't know how price suggestions work, or understand how admins process suggestions. And lastly you have the ever recurring problem of unusuals getting their prices shifted around (in buds) because of the fluctuating earbud market.

The usd conversion thing is not a problem.  I have no problem with people who can prove the hat is worth an old suggested number but I see way too many posts with old buyouts and older prices because the seller doesn't care that keys and buds have changed value.  They got their hat with 4 buds months ago and posted a sale with B/O at 5 that has been standing for that long.  Well buds hav doubled in value since they posted but they posted and others have sold that hat for a more appropriate price since then but they continue to hold out for fantasies and dreams.

Example:  http://www.tf2outpost.com/search/138171638

I think your example is tricky because all weather effects have genuinely gone down in value relative to buds and USD as has the company man itself.

Old effects have gone up in value relative to buds and way up relative to USD.

Just hard to parse all this out and come up with a definitive answer to the question about whether unusuals have tracked up with buds or not. In my experience, they have with the exception of weather effects.

I think your example is tricky because all weather effects have genuinely gone down in value relative to buds and USD as has the company man itself.

Old effects have gone up in value relative to buds and way up relative to USD.

Just hard to parse all this out and come up with a definitive answer to the question about whether unusuals have tracked up with buds or not. In my experience, they have with the exception of weather effects.

My example was meant to show how they did not adjust to market change and demand lvls. They are going lose on the hat and they blame bp.tf instead of the hat/effect. All they receive is low offers, which are fine if you recalculate for currancy change, and they critisize the offerer and bp.tf for this.

I recently asked to many some questions: 1 "What do you like about the site bp tf" many say "- the ability to evaluate your backpack, that is, the value of their items in a backpack. 

2." Do you trust the prices on unusual at the site bp tf "-basically the answer is no, they are not true. 

Although still asking me to do the suggestion for unusual or give advice on how best to do this - ie the suggestion price they trust or opportunity to change them for the better but not to the price in the price list .

Conclusion: do not change the price after price suggestion ,  leave them unchanged until the next suggestion. To assess the backpacks ( cost backpacks) can leave the system of valuation which now operates  :rolleyes:

What I hate is all of these traders that decry bp.tf Unusual sheet don't even make an attampt to understand it or contribute. The pricelist is arrived at in the same way they reasearch a hat essentially. The methods we use to price unusuals actually overvalues them in general and they still complain that its low all while not contributing thier knowledge.

What I hate is all of these traders that decry bp.tf Unusual sheet don't even make an attampt to understand it or contribute. The pricelist is arrived at in the same way they reasearch a hat essentially. The methods we use to price unusuals actually overvalues them in general and they still complain that its low all while not contributing thier knowledge.

>"Overvalues Unusuals"

>must use calculated unusual overpay

>wat

They think there hat is worth more than on the pricelist --> hate.

Its always funny to watch the duality of some trader's trades.

Trade #1

"Selling unusual x for 5 buds1

I don't follow bp.tf prices as its crap, so keep your "bp.tf says___" crap to yourself"

Trade #2

"Quickselling unusual x for 5 buds2

Backpack.tf says its worth 5.5 buds"

1Backpack.tf lists it as 4 Buds

2Backpack.tf lists it as 5.5 buds

Its always funny to watch the duality of some trader's trades.

Trade #1

"Selling unusual x for 5 buds1

I don't follow bp.tf prices as its crap, so keep your "bp.tf says___" crap to yourself"

Trade #2

"Quickselling unusual x for 5 buds2

Backpack.tf says its worth 5.5 buds"

1Backpack.tf lists it as 4 Buds

2Backpack.tf lists it as 5.5 buds

Oh the hypocrisy.

Well recently I had another experience. After I declined his offer he said "take this offer because my hat is worth 1.65 buds and your only 1.45 buds".

I smiled. :D

>"Overvalues Unusuals"

>must use calculated unusual overpay

>wat

I go to price list to get info on an unusual. Click the op link and find 10 for sale most with B/O 1 bud above list price of 3 buds and most sellers blaming bp.tf for lowball offers instead of realizing no one wants their effing for even bp tf price. Thats what I mean.

1. Quicksells are accepted as proof;

2. Suggesting a price often takes no more than 10 minutes and can be absolutely wrong due to very little amount of time put into the research. Suggestors value offers in accordance with bp.tf unusual hat pricelist which is terrible for 50%+ of unusuals. 

3. Offers are accepted as proof.

4. Sharks are accepted as proof for new hats (yes, there were some suggestions like that and they passed).

5. Price suggestors are not proffessionals but a bunch of volunteers. So are the mods.

Here's what we have: terrible pricelist that still attracts a massive amount of traders. Good luck getting decent

offers on your unusuals.

More reasons to be added.

2. Suggesting a price often takes no more than 10 minutes and can be absolutely wrong due to very little amount of time put into the research. Suggestors value offers in accordance with bp.tf unusual hat pricelist which is terrible for 50%+ of unusuals.

4. Sharks are accepted as proof for new hats (yes, there were some suggestions like that and they passed).

5. Price suggestors are not proffessionals but a bunch of volunteers. So are the mods.

Here's what we have: terrible pricelist that still attracts a massive amount of traders. Good luck getting decent

offers on your unusuals.

You know what's wrong with what your saying? If a hat is gonna sell for "x" than the offers seen in first week will indicate the lvl of desire for the hat, period. I have seen plenty of hats where it was obvious there was interest. Pure and decent hats r offered in rapid succsession and when first rejected the person reposts with a stronger offer. Than u have others where the seller mocks the first bunches of offers not recognizing that this is what it is. Low desire. There are 90000 unusuals out there, 8000 different types. Many of them will not even sell for list much less the B/O.

When sellers have to take losses do you think that gets reported? No. Offers must be used to evaluate the hat. That's what quickbuyers do all the time. A hats is not worth more than its offers for the most part.

offers on your unusuals.

the thing is, since no one ever offers higher, that's the new price!

the ends justify the means.

What you two sais only applies to low-tiers. I've seen how higher-tier unusual trading works and I beg to differ. I won't argue with you here, I'll just leave the discussion.

Archived