Pyro competitive help

Morpheus

seriously though your whole job is to defend against spies and try to reflect.

also use the homewrecker or some crap instead and make yourself useful

Actually no, that isn't the pyros entire job; pyros in comp. can also act as a flank class and move with sollies and scouts to harass stragglers. Airblasting can only do so much since it does require a lot of ammo to do it constantly, which is why many comp pyros only reflect bombers that either go for the med combo, or who try and bomb a level 3 on payload/attack defence maps; reflecting every stray rocket and pill/sticky is pointless. As for spies, it's everyone's job to look out for the spy, not just the pyros; it's just more convenient for them to catch them, so don't dedicate all your efforts to tracking down the spy unless he is the one giving your team the most trouble.

Oh, and as for the homewrecker, don't use it unless you engie spends more time dead than alive, or on payload maps; a majority of the time, you will never use it if your engie is capable enough to handle themselves, which is why most higher div pyros never use it. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shotgun at close range does damage comparable to flare gun crits, and has a faster rate of fire since it doesn't reload after every shot.

also much easier to hit people flying around.

Your job is to spycheck and protect the medic/heavy/engie's buildings. I prefer to use degreaser/flare/powerjack. Flare is good because it is ranged, which is something that the shotguns lack. Powejack is good for getting to the front lines quickly. If you start to use flare you can learn how to flare punch other pyros.

Your job is to spycheck and protect the medic/heavy/engie's buildings. I prefer to use degreaser/flare/powerjack. Flare is good because it is ranged, which is something that the shotguns lack. Powejack is good for getting to the front lines quickly. If you start to use flare you can learn how to flare punch other pyros.

Actually no, that isn't the pyros entire job; pyros in comp. can also act as a flank class and move with sollies and scouts to harass stragglers. Airblasting can only do so much since it does require a lot of ammo to do it constantly, which is why many comp pyros only reflect bombers that either go for the med combo, or who try and bomb a level 3 on payload/attack defence maps; reflecting every stray rocket and pill/sticky is pointless. As for spies, it's everyone's job to look out for the spy, not just the pyros; it's just more convenient for them to catch them, so don't dedicate all your efforts to tracking down the spy unless he is the one giving your team the most trouble.

Oh, and as for the homewrecker, don't use it unless you engie spends more time dead than alive, or on payload maps; a majority of the time, you will never use it if your engie is capable enough to handle themselves, which is why most higher div pyros never use it. 

Thanks this really helps, knowing when to airblast. And i like how you both emphasized teamwork. A lot of my personal (not comp.) experience with pyro has little or nothing to do with teamwork - so in comp. I need to learn how to work with my team and adjust to its needs.

Also, which is probably my biggest problem as pyro besides 100% perfect airblasting (lol) is Staying Alive. It might be due to crappy medics but i am just not a good survivor unless i'm playing other classes

degreaser is a good option for sure

using flare over shotgun is situational too, if you're pushing in flare can be more useful.

most importantly is definitely working with your teammates and co-ordinating attacks

Thanks this really helps, knowing when to airblast. And i like how you both emphasized teamwork. A lot of my personal (not comp.) experience with pyro has little or nothing to do with teamwork - so in comp. I need to learn how to work with my team and adjust to its needs.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest jumps every player has to adjust to going from pubs to comp; pubs focus less on teamwork and more on personal skill, whereas in comp. you need to be able to communicate with your teammates and be skillful enough to ensure you all get objectives done with as little deaths as possible.

I'd switch the axtinguisher for something more handy like a powerjack or a back scratcher

the back scratcher? i mean yes if you are a flanking pyro but no if you are keeping to your medic - heavy pair i guess

Yeah, that's one of the biggest jumps every player has to adjust to going from pubs to comp; pubs focus less on teamwork and more on personal skill, whereas in comp. you need to be able to communicate with your teammates and be skillful enough to ensure you all get objectives done with as little deaths as possible.

pretty much sums it up - but in div 5/6 theres really no teamspeak or skype or whatever so its hard

Also, which is probably my biggest problem as pyro besides 100% perfect airblasting (lol) is Staying Alive. It might be due to crappy medics but i am just not a good survivor unless i'm playing other classes

Me too :( That's why I quit pyro.

There are plenty of pyros, myself included, that swear by the flare gun. Being able to do 90 damage almost instantly while shooting someone the opposite direction and backing away is immensely powerful. Don't underestimate it

Pyro is a close range fighter. A great way to think about it is that there is a little circle around you. Anyone moving into that circle is going to die. As a support class it is important to move yourself to where your small range of influence can best protect your team. Don't just go roaming around, you are most powerful when you are supporting someone. If you are playing with the combo, help reflect incoming damage and keep jumpers and spys away. If you are on the flank, work with a soldier or scout to make sure that you are controlling the fight. Keyword is support.... don't expect to top frag... ever.

ok basically from what I hear i should go:

comp situational pyro:

- degreaser

- shotgun / flare gun 

- powerjack

thanks a lot and i'd love to hear more advice - this really has sharpened my take on a true pro pyro

In Highlander, the main objective for Pyro is to protect the Medic and Engineer from projectiles and spies.

Axtinguisher is bad nowadays, so use either the Homewrecker or the Powerjack.

You can also act as an ambush mechanism to pick off valuable targets such as snipers, engineers w/o buildings or even medics if you can kill them fast enough. Just be sure to memorise flanking routes and the location of health packs, as most of the time you will either be alone or maybe with a spy or soldier.

A great way to think about it is that there is a little circle around you. Anyone moving into that circle is going to die.

Keyword is support.... don't expect to top frag... ever.

haha - my little circle of death.. and i know, pyro is support in comp, not top of the leaderboard.

In Highlander, the main objective for Pyro is to protect the Medic and Engineer from projectiles and spies.

Axtinguisher is bad nowadays, so use either the Homewrecker or the Powerjack.

You can also act as an ambush mechanism to pick off valuable targets such as snipers, engineers w/o buildings or even medics if you can kill them fast enough. Just be sure to memorise flanking routes and the location of health packs, as most of the time you will either be alone or maybe with a spy or soldier.

ok that is interesting, you can support your medic and engie, and at the same time pick off valuable targets if they wont jeopardize your medic.

keep up the streak of butthurt salty replies to my posts!

What streak?  I posted once and I don't even know you.  If I've replied to you before, I don't remember any.  Sorry if you think I follow you around and wait for you to post.

And as for Morpheus, yeah, the more you can help your team, the better of a Pyro you will be since the class is so versatile.  It also depends on your teammates and what you're playing.  If it's a map where Engineer could take care of himself fairly well, Homewrecker wouldn't be as necessary as other melee items.  Just being able to evaluate different situations puts you at a fairly good skill tier as opposed to thinking the game will play out the same every time.

I'd go degreaser, stock shotgun and powerjack. The powerjack has the crit power and mobility to get you out of sticky situations and onto points faster, the shotgun I'd put over the flare just because of pyros but if you have good aim from a far go for flare (also flare can really help against snipers from long range if you have a good aim) and finally the degreaser is just the degreaser. xD One of the best tools the pyro has is airblasting. If you see a soldier with a kritzkrieg medic on him make it your aim to reflect those rockets away from your team, don't even aim for kills, just reflect to the floor away from your team. I've been thinking of getting into comp soon and was debating playing pyro or scout (chose scout, heh) but that'd be my loadout for it. Also as a final note test out your loadout, go to servers and just practice practice practice. Hope you do well! 

As many have said, the Degreaser is the best all-around primary weapon for the Pyro in competitive play.  I'd use the Flare Gun as my secondary and since you said you're playing Highlander and you'll have an Engineer, I would consider the Homewrecker for my melee slot.  Being able to un-sap buildings is a great help for your Engineer and will come in handy in the case your Engineer dies.  If you're playing without an Engineer or in a traditional 6v6 setting I would use the Powerjack.

there's no random crits in comp tho.

the speed boost alone is worth using the powerjack, especially for working your way around and coming up beside/behind enemies.

there's no random crits in comp tho.

the speed boost alone is worth using the powerjack, especially for working your way around and coming up beside/behind enemies.

Random critical hits are not awarded, but critical hits from weapons are.  For example, the Kritzkrieg.  If you're a Pyro and you light someone on fire then hit them with a Flare Gun blast, it will critical hit them.

Random critical hits are not awarded, but critical hits from weapons are.  For example, the Kritzkrieg.  If you're a Pyro and you light someone on fire then hit them with a Flare Gun blast, it will critical hit them.

you don't say.

so when I said random crits, what I meant was random critical hits.

obviously the built in guaranteed crit mechanics that weapons have are still there.

i was saying that in response to someone saying "The powerjack has the crit power and mobility to get you out of sticky situations".

What streak?  I posted once and I don't even know you.  If I've replied to you before, I don't remember any.  Sorry if you think I follow you around and wait for you to post.

And as for Morpheus, yeah, the more you can help your team, the better of a Pyro you will be since the class is so versatile.  It also depends on your teammates and what you're playing.  If it's a map where Engineer could take care of himself fairly well, Homewrecker wouldn't be as necessary as other melee items.  Just being able to evaluate different situations puts you at a fairly good skill tier as opposed to thinking the game will play out the same every time.

thanks - be a team player and follow directives and team movements - i just need to predict encounters before they happen now

you don't say.

so when I said random crits, what I meant was random critical hits.

obviously the built in guaranteed crit mechanics that weapons have are still there.

i was saying that in response to someone saying "The powerjack has the crit power and mobility to get you out of sticky situations".

I thought you were responding to my post.  My fault.

Archived