Pyro competitive help

Morpheus

Hey i'm taking place in my first comp. highlander (div 5/6) and i'm wondering if there is any professional pyros out there.

- I've gotten to like the degreaser / reserve / axtinguisher combo but i'm not sure if there is any better offensive / defensive strategy. thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you like getting to the frontlines faster and run away faster, try replacing the Axtinguisher with the Powerjack. For more raw crit power, use the overused Crit-Flare. Of course, with the Flare Gun, its going to be harder to deal with enemy pyros, your choice really. 

P.S. I enjoy playing pyro, not a pro.

anything about protecting the medic - heavy pair? many people have told me a comp. pyro is not supposed to roam around, but instead spycheck and airblast rockets / stickies away from the medic. I have no idea how to do this.

Degreaser is probably the best choice for this mainly for its switch time. You are able to switch and have the time to airblast the spam to protect the medic and the lower fire damage still reveals the spy albeit kills him slowly if you only rely on your flamethrower. I guess you could also roam a little, I don't know much about comp.

Find a mentor on ETF2L forums.

You can get all the help from mentors, they can also drag you to lower divs.

That's how I learned to be div2 soldier. Didn't take a long time, mentors are OP.

Degreaser is probably the best choice for this mainly for its switch time. You are able to switch and have the time to airblast the spam to protect the medic and the lower fire damage still reveals the spy albeit kills him slowly if you only rely on your flamethrower. I guess you could also roam a little, I don't know much about comp.

thanks this really helps - i think i'll try and practice on pubs where there is a medic - heavy pair

Find a mentor on ETF2L forums.

You can get all the help from mentors, they can also drag you to lower divs.

That's how I learned to be div2 soldier. Didn't take a long time, mentors are OP.

ok I will - i mean i'm a good pyro - I just don't know what strategy to use and when. 

thanks this really helps - i think i'll try and practice on pubs where there is a medic - heavy pair

Also flare over reserve please.

Unless your flare aim is bad.

Also flare over reserve please.

Unless your flare aim is bad.

ok - i personally am good at aiming with both - but i guess the flare is good for harassing snipers or what not

Contrary to popular belief, if you are fast enough with the flare gun you can still crit enemy pyros with the old puff n sting setup.

Contrary to popular belief, if you are fast enough with the flare gun you can still crit enemy pyros with the old puff n sting setup.

Really? you'd have to be godly fast tho

>degreaser/reserve/axtinguisher

>competitive

lololol

seriously though your whole job is to defend against spies and try to reflect.

also use the homewrecker or some crap instead and make yourself useful

>competitive

lololol

ok i'm starting to think that loadout isn't for comp. but for pubs instead

>competitive

lololol

This guy doesn't get it.

OFCOURSE you can use Reserve depending on situations. Reserve is really good taking out roaming soldiers or 1v1 pyro. It's TF2, you can change weapons any time you want. Depending on situation, you can use any weapon you think it's the best based on the current situation. If you're terribly losing, just go degreaser and airblast alot while waiting for uber.

This guy doesn't get it.

OFCOURSE you can use Reserve depending on situations. Reserve is really good taking out roaming soldiers or 1v1 pyro. It's TF2, you can change weapons any time you want. Depending on situation, you can use any weapon you think it's the best based on the current situation. If you're terribly losing, just go degreaser and airblast alot while waiting for uber.

ok, so flare gun and reserve are situationally dependent - when it seems i need one or the other ill switch. and i guess you can surprise the other team by constantly switching flare and reserve.

oh i get it.

it's a loadout consisting of crutch weapons that has no value to your teammates since pyro in comp is mainly support and not going to be involved a lot of direct combat, like in a pub

oh i get it.

it's a loadout consisting of crutch weapons that has no value to your teammates since pyro in comp is mainly support and not going to be involved a lot of direct combat, like in a pub

ok..... yeah maybe i can help my engies out with the homewrecker

oh i get it.

It's like you completely missed the part where he said that the loadout is situational and decided to talk down to someone who's just trying to get into competitive gameplay.

It's like you completely missed the part where he said that the loadout is situational and decided to talk down to someone who's just trying to get into competitive gameplay.

thanks Curly idk why he said that - maybe he's just a really good pyro  :D

Isn't reserve shooter banned in comp matches?

Also would like info since my flare gun shots are god awful so I go with a shotgun

I like to roam and flank but idk if thats a good strategy

Isn't reserve shooter banned in comp matches?

Also would like info since my flare gun shots are god awful so I go with a shotgun

I like to roam and flank but idk if thats a good strategy

ok i'll try flanking #spypyro

It's like you completely missed the part where he said that the loadout is situational

like how i said the loadout is pretty useless for comp and more for pubs.

situational.

keep up the streak of butthurt salty replies to my posts!

also reserve shooter is banned in highlander, so the stock shotgun is probably the better choice over the flare gun.

you could use the detonator too if you want to do jumps with it to get places

holy crap we are no longer friends you stole my sig ;-;

also reserve shooter is banned in highlander, so the stock shotgun is probably the better choice over the flare gun.

you could use the detonator too if you want to do jumps with it to get places

ok I never took shotgun into consideration, but i'll try it - although i really hate the detonator despite its usefulness.

Archived