Your Opinions On Spanking

The Penguins

In some places, its perfectly fine and accepted to spank a child as a "lesson". I myself I have been "spanked" in a way when I was young. You know that stick you can use to change the angles of the blinds with? Yeah, I was hit with that on the leg quite often because of my misbehaving, which I admit was at times problematic. However, I always felt that a child can be taught to behave in a different way, instead of spanking. And the fact that my parents threatened to disavow me if I ever called the police or child support, it caused to me to have a real sense of hate toward spanking in general. Now, there is the fact of parents' rights, but does this include the right to hit a child to teach them a lesson?What are your thoughts on spanking?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Physical pain to a child does no good in my eyes. Talking with them and showing them what is right and was is wrong through love, compassion and showing a good example as a parent will always do the trick. 

From my experience growing up, when I was disciplined by "spanking" it always made me feel angry and gave me a sense of revenge and hate.

I actually took a Child Development class in high school and we were taught that spanking a child doesn't help a child the most efficient way. Just like the above replies have said, it only gives the child a sense of anger and fear. That's something you wouldn't want to give to your own child, right?

A time out is the best form of punishment imo.

I have very little to add... mainly because I remember very little from the developmental Psychology course I took. 18 months is a long time ;_:

It's, true that spanking does provide negative reinforcement, but it's just about the worst way of doing it. It would be like trying to swat a fly with a sledgehammer; yes, you would achieve what you were aiming to, but the damage you'd cause in the process isn't worth it.

I have very little to add... mainly because I remember very little from the developmental Psychology course I took. 18 months is a long time ;_:

It's, true that spanking does provide negative reinforcement, but it's just about the worst way of doing it. It would be like trying to swat a fly with a sledgehammer; yes, you would achieve what you were aiming to, but the damage you'd cause in the process isn't worth it.

the speed at which you would have to sling a sledgehammer would nullify your accuracy (unless you were very strong) and if not swinging too fast, the fly would just fly away.

:3

the speed at which you would have to sling a sledgehammer would nullify your accuracy (unless you were very strong) and if not swinging too fast, the fly would just fly away.

:3

My point exactly. You'd miss, and leave a big-ass hole in your wall. But EVENTUALLY you'd catch the bugger X3

I got my ass beat as a child. In hindsight, it would have been more effective if it was used less. I'm all for it, given that it is with reason, and in moderation. i.e. dont spank ur kids all the time for little or no reason

Well, in a way it sorts of prepares the child for the world.

You do shit, you get fucked.

However, my parents never got to hit me, most of the time because i didn't need, but even when i did, some hours without PC/Videogames were enough as a punishment so i'd never do it again.

As a curiosity, they've created a law that prohibits it here in Brazil some time ago.

Hmmmm Im fine with spanking/discipline as a last resort, they the kid is clearly not listening and is being a prick discipline is they way to go. Many times the "self reflect" or "im disappointed in you" doesnt work in the long run and the kid eventually learns that all they need to do is look sad and they can get away with everything.

Discipline them with words and time-outs and things like that first. Hitting should be a last-resort thing. My dad is kind of unstable, he hits me a lot and on one occasion dragged me by the feet into my room and beat the living shit out of me (I forgot to make my mother a christmas card), and it just makes me want to be defiant more than well-behaved.

You're scary. :3 

Nah, he's a Gentleman :3

Discipline them with words and time-outs and things like that first. Hitting should be a last-resort thing. My dad is kind of unstable, he hits me a lot and on one occasion dragged me by the feet into my room and beat the living shit out of me (I forgot to make my mother a christmas card), and it just makes me want to be defiant.

Exactly this, my parents hitting me just made me extremely bitter and defiant, although I did keep the hate inside because I was scared I was gonna be spanked again

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that 70% of the forum traffic here are still being spanked by their parents, judging by the comments in here.

Not liking spanking = getting spanked.

That's flawless logic. Tell me, sir, I'm willing to wager you don't like getting set on fire?

Not liking spanking = getting spanked.

That's flawless logic. Tell me, sir, I'm willing to wager you don't like getting set on fire?

I've set my pants on fire numerous times before, in addition to my hands. It's pretty easy if you use the right fuel, you don't even get burned.

Hmmmm Im fine with spanking/discipline as a last resort, they the kid is clearly not listening and is being a prick discipline is they way to go. Many times the "self reflect" or "im disappointed in you" doesnt work in the long run and the kid eventually learns that all they need to do is look sad and they can get away with everything.

I have a sibling like this. But if it's to the point where there it is constant, than the kid will be taught respect another way

Archived