''Ghost items'': items which appear to be there but aren't...

Mengh.

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198116475230-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.91229/

First of all, I've already submitted a report against the person who tried to scam me using this technique so don't worry.

Secondly, hi. I'm new here. So I don't exactly know where this belongs.... (Common sense made me to post here)

Anyways, I'm here about the concerns of a bug/scam where TF2 items in the trade interface show up on the trade interface but when clicking the ''Check this box when ready to trade'' button, a very peculiar message shows up for some odd reason... as shown in the screenshot. 

As you can see, there are items in the other person's trade box and none in mine as I was very definite he was trying to scam me a minute before I retracted my offer.

I'm quite curious about why it happened and how did it happen...

Was it a bug?

Was it a scam?

Has the scam technique been done before / happened before?

What can Steam do about it?

There is actually a glitch where you can add an item to the trade window without the graphic appearing. However, it would say in the text bar that he added it, and the message that pops up saying you'll get nothing is a definite indicator he's trying to scam you.

Skimmed the Steam message, I misunderstood what was going on. Yes, that message pops up a lot. It means exactly what it says: You won't get anything outside of what's in that very trade.

looks to me like he was about to scam himself kek

edit: the message appeared because people reported him for scamming

reread the message, that isn't why it showed up

Yeah. As he has been reported to Steam, I did receive that I should be wary of what he's doing when I accepted his trade request.

Anyways, what should happen with many recipients of the message is that you should get a list of items of what you are going to get if you are trading with the person once you checked the box for when you're ready since the person you're trading with has been reported to Steam and has got themselves recognition for shifty behaviour. As you can see from the screenshot, there was going to be not a single item traded on his side when he clearly had items in his trade box.

I think it's some form of quickswitching that bypasses current security measures. Cuz you clearly see a buncha items in his trade box, but the message doesn't list any of them. And vice versa: you see no items in OP's trade box, but there possibly could be OP's whole backpack.

There's always a chance what this guy tried to scam himself and steam trading derped at the same time, tho, heh.

"this trade appears suspicious" 

anyone who sells keys via paypal will see this with some frequency. "Yes I accept this trade offer of nothing in exchange for 130 keys"

Archived