Dota 2 / CSGO trading

RuffRyders

I'm thinking about stepping into Dota 2 or CSGO trading. One of the two or both at same time.

Are there any things I should know before I start trading? Just things in general.

More specific questions. I will ask more specific questions based on the answers

- How to value knifes in csgo?

- Whats profitable in Dota 2 and how stable is it?

Dota isn't profitable. Every update, Valve introduces something new that makes everything more and more worthless. Items that used to be hundreds of dollars are now worth about a bud. Don't get into Dota trading

Dota trading is barely profitable. I've been making profits off arcanas and thats about it. 

CSGO basically quicksell price is the amount the seller gets at the market place and sell for the lowest price on the market place. 

You make little keys. Basically 15% off is a good deal. 

I use csgo analyst and check the graph for lowest points. Before applying 15% off

Made couple buds in profit so far knives sell fast

Unless you get into the high tier knives and deal with paypal. 

1-2 keys profit per knife is good!

DotA isn't meant to be about trading.  You buy items you like and you use them.  You don't see as many quickbuy+resell trades for those items.  Unless you plan on learning how to play it, there's no point for you to get into its trading.

I'm thinking about stepping into Dota 2 or CSGO trading. One of the two or both at same time.

Are there any things I should know before I start trading? Just things in general.

More specific questions. I will ask more specific questions based on the answers

- How to value knifes in csgo?

- Whats profitable in Dota 2 and how stable is it?

When dealing with CSGO knives/ high tier skins, the best place to look is actually just browsing CSGOLounge. Search for the items of interest and read all/most of the trades pertaining to it. Read the offers, prices, buyouts etc to gauge what the item is worth. People will often charge more for certain patterns on knife skins, so be weary of that. I would highly recommend reading a short steam guide on knife patterns or browse the csgo trading subreddit for that kind of information. Patience is also a key, but isn't that the case for most of trading? Also, CSGO knives are much more sought after due to the fact that resale is so much easier than with TF2 unusuals. Certain knives though can be hard to sell, but if you keep to the nice skins like Slaughter, Fade, Case Hardened, Blue Steel and Crimson Web, offers will be coming in daily. Watch out for screenshot scams though. Some people will edit their screenshots to make a knife look better than it actually is. This was a major problem a few months back when the inspect feature in CSGO only showed the backside of the knife, and not the playside. Nowadays though the knife turns around so you can see the playside, but still, be weary. Also, if a deal is too good to be true, it likely is. Profit in CSGO is mainly gained through market fluctuations and good timing. New skins don't get released as often as new hats/miscs do in TF2, especially knife skins. Only recently did a new set of knife skins get released, and they're over hyped to the max right now. 

Basically, to answer your question, valuing knives in CSGO comes down to searching the market (steam), looking through CSGOLounge, and analyzing price graphs. It's tedious sometimes, but when you make that awesome trade, you will pat yourself on the back a million times! (except when the price plummets due to Operation Vanguard or you trade it away and the price sky rockets....)

When dealing with CSGO knives/ high tier skins, the best place to look is actually just browsing CSGOLounge. Search for the items of interest and read all/most of the trades pertaining to it. Read the offers, prices, buyouts etc to gauge what the item is worth. People will often charge more for certain patterns on knife skins, so be weary of that. I would highly recommend reading a short steam guide on knife patterns or browse the csgo trading subreddit for that kind of information. Patience is also a key, but isn't that the case for most of trading? Also, CSGO knives are much more sought after due to the fact that resale is so much easier than with TF2 unusuals. Certain knives though can be hard to sell, but if you keep to the nice skins like Slaughter, Fade, Case Hardened, Blue Steel and Crimson Web, offers will be coming in daily. Watch out for screenshot scams though. Some people will edit their screenshots to make a knife look better than it actually is. This was a major problem a few months back when the inspect feature in CSGO only showed the backside of the knife, and not the playside. Nowadays though the knife turns around so you can see the playside, but still, be weary. Also, if a deal is too good to be true, it likely is. Profit in CSGO is mainly gained through market fluctuations and good timing. New skins don't get released as often as new hats/miscs do in TF2, especially knife skins. Only recently did a new set of knife skins get released, and they're over hyped to the max right now. 

Basically, to answer your question, valuing knives in CSGO comes down to searching the market (steam), looking through CSGOLounge, and analyzing price graphs. It's tedious sometimes, but when you make that awesome trade, you will pat yourself on the back a million times! (except when the price plummets due to Operation Vanguard or you trade it away and the price sky rockets....)

Thanks, for the great explanation. All the others thank you too, it was helpful!

For now I will dota aside. I have heard too many times its unstable. But usually with high risk there is lots to gain (or to loose).

Would this be a good guide for knife patterns / rank?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247406953

Thanks, for the great explanation. All the others thank you too, it was helpful!

For now I will dota aside. I have heard too many times its unstable. But usually with high risk there is lots to gain (or to loose).

Would this be a good guide for knife patterns / rank?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247406953

No worries. I've traded in CSGO for a while, so it feels good to share what I've learned with others! 

That guide is a decent guide to gauge rarity and general prices of patterns. I used that same guide when I began a while back! 

Archived