Ubuntu phone

Pyrocide

Ubuntu Edge

Looks pretty slick.

Gotta admit this could be the beginning of the end of Windows as the dominant home desktop OS. With M$ already going to Linux for their new Office and a large percentage of the PC users out there are only on Windows for Office alone we could see M$ start to fade out.

I will wait and see how the crowdfunding does to see if they can hit the $32M mark first before dropping $800 on a phone when the GS4 Google Edition is just $650...

yeeaahhhhh

i'll stick with my SGS4

It's seems pretty unnecessary. I don't understand why anybody would need 4GB of RAM on a phone. To me, this seems like something that the Linux hipsters are going to like

To me, it doesn't look like innovation. It just looks like they spent a lot of money on it. My Galaxy S4 screen doesn't scratch at all. Why would you need a sapphire screen? Why would you need 128GB of storage? If that's on all models, I think that's pretty ridiculous. I don't use the 9GB of storage I have on my Galaxy S4, I don't see why I should go out and spend an extra $90 or so on that extra storage that I'm never going to use.

And back to the 4GB of RAM... what a waste! The iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, and that's more than enough. Why anybody would need 4 GB... and the cell phone isn't going to replace the computer. Not in the next 10 years, at least.

I don't think its practical, but definitely a move in the right direction to get rid of Windows. 

The 128GB i can understand for being a desktop office machine. 

I think they built it for being a desktop replacement which is why it is 4GB of memory and 128GB of storage. Think about it though, standard office worker has this to run office and browse the net. That is plenty powerful for most office workers. 

As far as being practical for a phone, im with you way too much money spent on it.

I am interested to know if itll play TF2 though, if they go with the "fastest" multi-core, Tegra 4 will be up there to compete with snapdragons, atoms and other SoCs.

While it is a disastrous distro it still is a decent OS for free. 

Not to mention is will probably be open to other distros eventually. Slackware being one that would be on my list to put on it.

It also can boot into android, or at least they want it to be able to.

I am interested to know if itll play TF2 though, if they go with the "fastest" multi-core, Tegra 4 will be up there to compete with snapdragons, atoms and other SoCs.

Yeah, but what's it gonna use that for? My Galaxy S4 has the fastest CPU for phones so far (well, at least, I think. The 8 core SGS4 was a failure, and the 1.9GHz quad core looks to be the fastest as of now.) 

Will I be able to plug a mouse and keyboard into this thing? 

wtf that they actually need $32m from randomers all over the world to start making huge amounts of money.

no thanks, linux was brought to the world as a free thing, this obviously wont be free

wtf that they actually need $32m from randomers all over the world to start making huge amounts of money.

no thanks, linux was brought to the world as a free thing, this obviously wont be free

Exactly. I struggle to see what they're even using that $32,000,000 for. 

Christley, Linux was freely distributed as software, not hardware.

Hardware costs money to make, and little third world children to make them. Android is an Open Source OS along with Linux. But people still had to pay for the phone, did they not?

Chigga, how is it hard to use for you? Im interested because i have never had a problem navigating from distro to distro, just a few changes in syntax and commands but the underlying linux OS is still there.

About the $32M, i bet most of it is production costs, paying people to design and develop for the phone, and advertising costs etc. Canonical is a business, and ubuntu edge is now a product.

How much money did apple invest in R&D for Apple iOS Maps?

Christley, Linux was freely distributed as software, not hardware.

Hardware costs money to make, and little third world children to make them. Android is an Open Source OS along with Linux. But people still had to pay for the phone, did they not?

Chigga, how is it hard to use for you? Im interested because i have never had a problem navigating from distro to distro, just a few changes in syntax and commands but the underlying linux OS is still there.

About the $32M, i bet most of it is production costs, paying people to design and develop for the phone, and advertising costs etc. Canonical is a business, and ubuntu edge is now a product.

How much money did apple invest in R&D for Apple iOS Maps?

yeah, but holy shit, $32m. thats insane. why dont people do like they used to before when they find an investor? because either they cant find one that believes in this product which shows its pretty much going to be dead content OR the founders are so greedy they dont want investors and want the entire profit for themselves. they want randomers to fund their potensial money tree

yeah, but holy shit, $32m. thats insane. why dont people do like they used to before when they find an investor? because either they cant find one that believes in this product which shows its pretty much going to be dead content OR the founders are so greedy they dont want investors and want the entire profit for themselves. they want randomers to fund their potensial money tree

That's what I was thinking. If it was really such a great, innovative, and successful idea for a phone, don't you think there would be some investor who would be willing to spare $32m on it? 

Although I don't think that their use of a Kickstarter type website should be attributed exactly to the developer's greediness, I think it says a lot about the device beyond "it's going to replace desktops!". I bet it's going to end up like the Ouya.

That's what I was thinking. If it was really such a great, innovative, and successful idea for a phone, don't you think there would be some investor who would be willing to spare $32m on it? 

The Occulus Rift was a kickstarter project... 

and they wanted 250000$ and got 2.2 or 2.5m$, this phone wants 32m

thats quite the difference

Yeah, and am I going to buy an Occulus Rift? Furthermore Occulus was a company that most of us had never heard of. I find it slightly believable that they failed to find an investor, considering how successful other virtual reality products are. (not very)

Ubuntu is a company that people have heard of before and people consider to be pretty successful (although they don't charge for their biggest product), but it looks like nobody wanted to invest into it. 

As a person who runs Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on his netbook, I approve of an idea like this. $32M sounds like a lot of money to toss up, however. I wonder if even an avid fanbase as the distro has would be able to fend for itself with such a high asking price.

As a person who runs Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on his netbook, I approve of an idea like this. $32M sounds like a lot of money to toss up, however. I wonder if even an avid fanbase as the distro has would be able to fend for itself with such a high asking price.

As a person who spends a lot of time on their computer. I honestly don't see why I should buy Ubuntu over Windows. I suppose the only reason that comes to mind is that I don't have to 'buy' Ubuntu. Besides that, I fail to see why Ubuntu > Windows.

*buntu and Debian based OSes are the bloated Windows of the Linux world. 

It boils down to 2 things IMO. The average gamer chooses Windows as the dominant OS to game with - (most compatibility). While the average user/grandparent will "choose" Windows as that is what Worst Buy sells.  

There are few people like myself, who choose to game on Windows for Windows only games and Linux for Linux native/WINE enabled games but even I refuse to use Ubuntu or any Debian based OS for that matter.

I like to think this move will make a decent dent in the Windows armor but even if I were to get one, I doubt I would use it as the Ubuntu desktop and instead try and put a different distro on it. 

Worst Buy sells.

There not that bad. Most of there prices are exactly the same as virtually all its competitors. Plus, a bunch of there stuff has low price guarantee to compete with the rest.

Back on topic, i like that someone (other than apple) is finally smart enough to make a phone out of metal rather than plastic crap.

There not that bad. Most of there prices are exactly the same as virtually all its competitors. Plus, a bunch of there stuff has low price guarantee to compete with the rest.

They use shoddy sales tactics on unaware, non-tech savvy people to make a sale. Fuck em.

They use shoddy sales tactics on unaware, non-tech savvy people to make a sale. Fuck em.

I mean, so do all companies that sell computers.

I mean, so do all companies that sell computers.

True, CompUSA, CircuitCity and Fry's are the only big corporations around me/were around me, along with Worst Buy that do so.

I chose Worst Buy to pick on as I like Fry's for the selection of PC parts not prefab computer bundles and the others have shut their doors.

True, CompUSA, CircuitCity and Fry's are the only big corporations around me/were around me, along with Worst Buy that do so.

I chose Worst Buy to pick on as I like Fry's for the selection of PC parts not prefab computer bundles and the others have shut their doors.

*Leaving topic*

Well, the whole computer industry isn't very user friendly (apple aside).

Pick Dell for example. They have tens of choices of each model each one customized to a different level. And each one of those choices can all be customized further. Some can be customized the same and others can't be. With the system they have in place, you can customize multiple computers, the exact same model with the exact same specs and they'll all be priced differently depending on which one you customized from.

In contrast, apple offers 2 choices in each category (2 13" mbp, 2 15" mbp, etc...)

So the whole computer market is aimed to make it a bitch to actually get a computer. Dell, and all computer companies really need to change their systems. They should offer three non-customizable models (Base, premium, and ultra), and then one customizable one. And when the specs of the customizable one match up with one of the pre-built choices then the price of both units would be exactly the same.

But until this change finally happens, buying a computer will be complete hell to the non-tech savy.

*Leaving topic*

-snip-

I agree.

However, I do not like Worst Buy for one reason.

Standing in the isle trying to find a replacement set of headphones i overheard one blue polo giggling with another blue polo about how he is about to make a $2000 sale to an "old lady". When looking at what she had in her hands she had one of the HP studio laptops with the overly large speakers and a gaming graphics card in it, 17" notebook + peripherals in her basket. I walked over to her and asked her what was her reasons for buying a laptop, her response "my old one died and i use it for solitaire and email". Blue polo wasn't very happy when i told her everything that was wrong with what he picked her out based on her "needs".

Back on topic though:

I am glad they went with the metal case as well. 

I wish samsung would do the same for the next galaxy flagship phone as well as find a way to put a Tegra 4 in it.

I agree.

However, I do not like Worst Buy for one reason.

Standing in the isle trying to find a replacement set of headphones i overheard one blue polo giggling with another blue polo about how he is about to make a $2000 sale to an "old lady". When looking at what she had in her hands she had one of the HP studio laptops with the overly large speakers and a gaming graphics card in it, 17" notebook + peripherals in her basket. I walked over to her and asked her what was her reasons for buying a laptop, her response "my old one died and i use it for solitaire and email". Blue polo wasn't very happy when i told her everything that was wrong with what he picked her out based on her "needs".

Back on topic though:

I am glad they went with the metal case as well. 

I wish samsung would do the same for the next galaxy flagship phone as well as find a way to put a Tegra 4 in it.

Implying any salesaman isn't a dick. But, the tech world in general isn't very friendly. 

Yea, that would be nice. I really just want my next phone to be a titanium/aluminum unibody (Like the mbp design) Galaxy S5 with decent battery life.

Currently have a Droid Razr Maxx, which is ridiculously durable (I've dropped it 6 feet onto asphalt as well as had it thrown 20 feet across a room, and not a scratch) with an amazing battery (2+ days without charging it). I just wish it was more powerful, and had a smaller bezel. I find it lags quite a bit (due to being old, and underpowered when it came out). As well as it being slightly awkward to hold/use due to such a large bezel. 

So, listen up Samsung. All-metal unibody Galaxy S5, with 4.3"-4.6" screen, great battery life, powerful, and durable. And you can make it thicker, i don't care just give me a real phone worth the money. .35" (Razr Maxx thickness) is more than thin enough, stop with the .3" (and under) crap with no battery. 

Archived