polar

Rules for Background Checks

KeysMate    4
KeysMate
6 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

The rules are in place for a reason and they are clear on the rules page not just the forums.

Right that's a good point, guess I forgot about that page, wonder why. Doesn't take away the rest of my point which as always you ignored. It's a fact those rules could be made visible, and it's a fact that information helping newcomers know what to look out for to avoid scams could also be made accessible. The question of why you haven't done it already I don't have an answer to.

This isn't a place to discuss the circumstances of your bans.

You're right, I was merely using those two stories as examples to demonstrate the invalidity of the point I was answering to.

I understand you think it's harsh but ultimately we make the rules and we don't agree. Plenty of high volume traders manage just fine, you can too. There is not a lot of point in endlessly posting walls of text, you cannot browbeat us into doing what you want.

Once again you're right, just cause I might have a point doesn't mean you have to listen. After all it's your website and I'm nobody so what do I know.

Problem is, since your website is so central to the economy of tf2, banning someone, especially the way that it's done, doesn't simply restrict the access of the site to that person, which would be fine. It has far reaching consequences which can be very destroying to someone's activities in the tf2 economy. For example all I want is to be able to make raffles on scrap.tf, but I am banned there for no other reason than the fact I am banned here, even though the two sites don't share the same rules. That's just not right. Another thing is that to uninformed people seeing it, the red color you give banned users names conveys the idea that they're somehow dangerous and can't be trusted. It puts us on the same level as scammers and it's nothing less than a subtle form of defamation.

This all means that even though the site is privately owned business, its influence on the tf2 economy puts you in a position of power more akin to a government. In my opinion, that gives you a responsibility to treat your "subjects" fairly. You can either be a merciful ruler, or a tyrant. In the end though if you choose to be the latter, you're only hurting yourself by hurting the community that allows you to exist in the first place.

So yes, as long as you keep ignoring or dismissing them I will keep posting these "walls of text" (really? I mean come on they're not that long) and no, contrary to what you think this isn't about me doing what I want. Like I said in my appeal I want to leave tf2 and I have no intention of using this site long term anymore. So I don't care if my ban stays forever, all I want is for you to hear me out. This is bigger than me and, for that matter, you.

Teeny Tiny Cat    2381
Teeny Tiny Cat

I have explained the rationale clearly. You don't agree with it. Repeating myself endlessly will get us nowhere. 

KeysMate    4
KeysMate

No but answering some of the points I made might get us somewhere. A healthy dialog usually can. Can't know if we don't try. When you fail to do so it either means that you're being lazy (don't think that's the case), that you don't understand what is being said, that you don't have a good counter-argument and just don't want to lose face by admitting error, or that you simply don't care enough to bother. Yet I'm sure you have good points left to be made.

Teeny Tiny Cat    2381
Teeny Tiny Cat

The only points I consider relevant or have any agreement with:

That the rules and more information on how to avoid getting scammed could be more prominent. I will work on those things. 

The rest I disagree with and have explained why, and I am not prepared to waste both our time going around in circles over the same argument.