Will tf2 Die?

Monsun

52 members have voted

1. 1. WILL IT DED?

• Yes
    • No

Not sure if there is a old thread about this, but here goes.

Do you guys think tf2 will die out? Like when do you think people will stop playing or crossover to a new game?

If you think it will, when? Personally I think it will stay around for a pretty long time.

No.

Valve still releases updates on a decent (For me.) Schedule.

Most people I've heard say TF2 will die are people who didn't like the EotL update or didn't like the smissmas update.

It's not dying now, and it won't be dead for a good while.

It will die when people start losing interest in Trading,gambling and those sorts of things that come along with a trading community......which is very unlikely.

people think that game formerly known as Overwatch will kill TF2 but fortunately those people are thick because they fail to realize that every Blizzard game is the same and that game that used to be Overwatch will turn into a grind that feels like work and won't be fun anymore.

Everything dies eventually in video games. I don't expect tf2 to die any time soon. I'm the next decade, maybe that'll change. But for now, no

Absolutely. 

Anyone who says that this game will never die is either severely mentally handicapped or just too optimistic. Name one game that is still played today from the 1980s. None, absolutely none. 

Hardware upgrades, player desertion over time, and so forth make a game "ded" on average after 20 years.

Plus Overwatch is coming out soon.

Name one game that is still played today from the 1980s.

The Classic Nintendo games (Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc.), Pac-Man, and The Oregon Trail all come to mind.

Unless you're talking about online gaming, then there would be none as that didn't really start 'til the early 90's, but you'll still find people playing PC games from that era like Doom and Warcraft II. And on the console side, that's when Street Fighter II came out, which is still seeing competitive play to this day.

The Classic Nintendo games (Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc.), Pac-Man, and The Oregon Trail all come to mind.

I digress

Games have a limited lifespan. It'll die out eventually and be left as a niche thing that only a couple of hundred players play from time to time with friends from a fan forum. Like Populous of old or Dungeon Keeper.  Depending on your definition of a dead game it could still be considered "alive" even then.

I do believe a good few players will still have part of their tf2 inventories intact well after they've stopped playing the game on a regular basis. Sentimentally valued pixel hats tend to stick around ^^

*Edit* It won't die anytime soon mind you. I give it a decade or two depending on if and when TF3 come out or if valve decides it's employee's time could be spent more productively on other games.(Assuming they didn't just hand over the reins to some community-based team by then.)

Will it ded? - Of course, nothing is eternal.

When? - Who knows?

Why? - TF3 \ Alternatives with better graphics\mechanics\gameplay\hats(jk)

people think that game formerly known as Overwatch will kill TF2 but fortunately those people are thick because they fail to realize that every Blizzard game is the same and that game that used to be Overwatch will turn into a grind that feels like work and won't be fun anymore.

It's just like all the new call of poop games that come out every year. Once the new one comes out the precious game dies.

Yes, this is obvious and inevitable. The bigger question is what constitutes dead? As others have said, "dead" games still have some people playing them. The point is when does a game reach critical loss of players enough to not be considered an active game? When Valve stops updating it? If this is true, then TFC has been dead for a long time since it stopped being updated. People (although few), still play it. The game will die as others have said when the technology updates too much for this to be relevant on newer computers and as other games rotate into the forefront by the gaming community and take the time and energy of most players. Some could argue based on this TF2 is already in the process of dying as many active gamers have shifted to CS:GO, DOTA2, etc, etc. A lot of people still play TF2, but if TF2 had a human lifespan, it is definitely past its prime and would be entering its 40s or 50s. 

The game will die eventually. All games do, and TF2 is no exception.

Now, do I think it's going to die soon or get knocked out of the arena by another game, supposedly Overwatch, which, even being the Blizzard and WoW fan I am, I cannot see this happening.

People have way too much fun playing this game, and the only time anybody goes ranting on how "This game is dying" is when the boycott group bands together because there's something about an update they didn't like.

I've been playing World of Warcraft since Mid MoP, which isn't very long, I know, but when Draenor came out everybody said that the game was dying... and yet here we are with over 7 Million subscriber worldwide and the networks crashing on launch from so many people buying the game. The only real sense of "Dying" WoW may be having is the purchasable lvl. 90 Character boost, which is the gateway to P2W in my opinion.

Archived