Trade offer Confirmation Emails

Winter Scout

What's a title  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Disabled / Enabled the E-Mail Verification?

I started to get some emails about confirmation trades. Wtf is happening to GAY VALVE??? from bad to EVEN WORSE.

Do you assume the risk of disabling this option? You know if u get hiacjked valve will pop the middle finger to you, right?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've disabled it. Too much inconvenience for something that most likely won't even happen. Just stay away from fishy links and you'll be fine

I started to get some emails about confirmation trades. Wtf is happening to GAY VALVE??? from bad to EVEN WORSE.

Do you assume the risk of disabling this option? You know if u get hiacjked valve will pop the middle finger to you, right?

Someone already made a thread about this, but the main point of this is "If you disable the warning then you are smart enough to not be phished". If you don't disable it then you are scared you are dumb enough/don't trade enough/don't care enough.

yes

i like this thing though, you get to choose if you want to have dupes if you lose your items BUT have to accept emails whenever you get/send a trade offer, or not but when u get phished/whatever, youre fucked

"Do you assume the risk of disabling this option?"

Yes, i'm not that popular to suffer from "unusual" methods of phishing, and i know about kinds of phishing and scamming.

"You know if u get hiacjked valve will pop the middle finger to you, right?"

There's no guarantee that valve will restore your bp at all \ if you was hijacked and your items went to scammer's bp through trade offer.

They could technically do that too, but that'd require the user to be friends with some bot account to trade with, and also would bring up the trade window, showing the user "hey I'm jackin' your shit bro", to which they could just close it repeatedly and kill the virus process.

EDIT: ^^^ Unless, they used the virus to steal your SSFN files and login info and logged in as you somewhere else. Then, yes, this is a big issue and can be done.

The point of them using trade offers is that it sends all of it behind the scenes, so the user doesn't even notice it happening. And, the creator has to put in little to no effort on their part besides making the bot / virus.

This can all be done without any user confirmation, you think scrap.tf runs actual steam clients from Valve?

This can all be done without any user confirmation, you think scrap.tf runs actual steam clients from Valve?

Of course they don't. My point is that it can be done, but it's more of a hassle than it'd be worth when it comes to direct trading.

Of course they don't. My point is that it can be done, but it's more of a hassle than it'd be worth when it comes to direct trading.

It's not really that difficult.

1. Accept friend request

2. Open trade with user

3. Add all items in inventory

4. Ready to trade

5. Trade

It's not really that difficult.

1. Accept friend request

2. Open trade with user

3. Add all items in inventory

4. Ready to trade

5. Trade

But why go through all of that when you could just send a web request that lists all of the specified items in it to a specified target? You wouldn't have to worry about adding someone (which would also possibly notify the user), or worry about creating a trade session. You'd just have to grab their inventory JSON along with their current Steam session cookies and throw that into a trade offer URL.

Merged with the existing thread. :P

Edit: Also merged with another existing thread and took over the poll from there.

Merged with the existing thread. :P

Edit: Also merged with another existing thread and took over the poll from there.

Can you just merge the entire forums into one large thread? 

Enabled

I trade mostly unusuals, meaning I probably do under 15 trades a week.  I don't mind the extra 2 seconds it takes to click an email if it means that I'll at least get my items restored if I get ass raped.  

Archived