Trade offer Confirmation Emails

Winter Scout

What's a title  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Disabled / Enabled the E-Mail Verification?

Who knows, they may have gathered statistics before making the decision.

Aaand whitelist is gone now, everyone gets the email now.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for me it's not that bad for inactive traders

but it's kinda disturbing for me cause you wont get any items back if you got hijacked

Don't think it really changes anything, what it does do is force traders to take responsibility for their backpack, raise awareness for phishing/scams and to think before their actions.

Imo it's your backpack, your items and your responsibility. If traders choose to disable it then it means they understand the risks of scams/phishing and are "prepared" for it and the consequences if they are careless. 99% of scams/phishing links wont work if traders thought before their actions, especially those who fell victim to the middleman scam.

As an inactive trader, I feel the same. However, I understand that more active traders would hate this for they would have to continuously go to their email account, which would get tedious. I too agree with this, but I feel that not having a chance of getting my items back is too much of a risk to take, even for a knowledgable person like me. I know that someday, somehow, my luck will get me hijacked and I would very much want a chance of getting my items back, even if it ends up failing.

I can't get why Valve wouldn't give a fuck anymore if I disable it. Phishing is not the only way to hack an account you know? If one day Mattie or Bob get hijacked for example (bruteforce or keylogger for example, dunno) this will not be the trade offers fault.

I'm fine with it. It's not like it's hard to just open up a tab of gmail whilst trading.

In any case, what I'd've rather seen is a captcha for sending a friend request. That'd help with the phishing bot problem.

I'm fine with it. It's not like it's hard to just open up a tab of gmail whilst trading.

In any case, what I'd've rather seen is a captcha for sending a friend request. That'd help with the phishing bot problem.

Captcha for sending a friend request would deter people from adding me and use trade offers instead.

I have it enabled because users who have 5000+ trades don't get an email regardless. I don't think I'll ever get hijacked, but I might as well.

By the end of January it's going be 7 Day wait to add a new friend.

Just wait.

I'll give you a ref if this happens

~

Disabled. 2 lazy. And i don't rely on steam support anyway

The new trade offer confirmation email shit is causing a drastic drop in the total amount of trades going on. 

I have premium on outpost, backpack,tf. and bazaar. Every morning I wake up to about 5+ unanswered trade offers. Throughout the day I receive and send them. Since this change was implemented, that has dropped off into obscurity. It seems the ONLY trade offers I get now are few and they are now always complete lowballs. It seems that only the most idiotic of traders are actively turning off their notification system and continuing to use trade offers, everyone else is just saying fuck it and not trading or random adding. The amount of random adding I've received has increased in these last two days substantially, and the amount of bullshitting, lollygagging, and overall time wasting that I'm having to deal with is at an all time high in these last few days.

I don't think people who casually trade will notice it too much, but as someone who constantly grinds down items from backpacks, this is forcing a major setback in my process and I'm seriously considering cashing out and quitting.

"But it's really not a big deal all you have to do is log in to your email to trade"

Asking pretty much anything of any average to lower-tier outpost trader is too much. If you can't practically do it for them, they won't know how. It took forever for people to even learn to use trade offers. I had step by step instructions on my profile for the longest time, and would respond to random adds with "hey please read my profile, there's instructions on how you can leave me a trade as a message for me to respond to when I can" or something along those lines, and over and over again I'd get responses of "no i dont know how pls just do it normal" and "i cant figure it out ;_;" and the classic "i tried it doesnt work" (while item servers are definitely up and offers definitely working). 

And then, the other big fucking issue I have with this is I don't like having to constantly sign into the private 2-step verification email address I don't save any cookies to I made specifically for this account as to increase my security every fucking hour just to accept a trade I know is legit. This is to protect us from a virus that auto offers all of our items away? How did the captcha not solve that? And if it didn't, why can't we have a unique PIN instead?

My opinion is that Valve is more than willing to cripple player to player trading. It reduces the amount of support issues they have to deal with and forces people to use the SCM which continuously increases their profits.

"You will not be required to confirm trades and will not receive email about trades. Steam Support will also not provide you with any assistance in recovering items that may be stolen from your account, for any reason."

This sounds like a legal disclaimer : we are washing our hands of what can happen to you.

It may not mean that they won't do anything if it really happens, especially if you are a well-known trader and have some valuable items.

Doing nothing in such a situation would be a call for the jungle law and encouraging scams and frauds.

They promise nothing to the people that desactivate the option, this is basically what I think.

The new trade offer confirmation email shit is causing a drastic drop in the total amount of trades going on. 

I have premium on outpost, backpack,tf. and bazaar. Every morning I wake up to about 5+ unanswered trade offers. Throughout the day I receive and send them. Since this change was implemented, that has dropped off into obscurity. It seems the ONLY trade offers I get now are few and they are now always complete lowballs. It seems that only the most idiotic of traders are actively turning off their notification system and continuing to use trade offers, everyone else is just saying fuck it and not trading or random adding. The amount of random adding I've received has increased in these last two days substantially, and the amount of bullshitting, lollygagging, and overall time wasting that I'm having to deal with is at an all time high in these last few days.

I don't think people who casually trade will notice it too much, but as someone who constantly grinds down items from backpacks, this is forcing a major setback in my process and I'm seriously considering cashing out and quitting.

"But it's really not a big deal all you have to do is log in to your email to trade"

Asking pretty much anything of any average to lower-tier outpost trader is too much. If you can't practically do it for them, they won't know how. It took forever for people to even learn to use trade offers. I had step by step instructions on my profile for the longest time, and would respond to random adds with "hey please read my profile, there's instructions on how you can leave me a trade as a message for me to respond to when I can" or something along those lines, and over and over again I'd get responses of "no i dont know how pls just do it normal" and "i cant figure it out ;_;" and the classic "i tried it doesnt work" (while item servers are definitely up and offers definitely working). 

And then, the other big fucking issue I have with this is I don't like having to constantly sign into the private 2-step verification email address I don't save any cookies to I made specifically for this account as to increase my security every fucking hour just to accept a trade I know is legit. This is to protect us from a virus that auto offers all of our items away? How did the captcha not solve that? And if it didn't, why can't we have a unique PIN instead?

My opinion is that Valve is more than willing to cripple player to player trading. It reduces the amount of support issues they have to deal with and forces people to use the SCM which continuously increases their profits.

This change was implemented 2 days ago (maybe 3)

Can't you just have had 2 bad days? I don't think 2 days are a long enough period to signal a significant change.

You may be right but the data you currently have can't ever be enough

This change was implemented 2 days ago (maybe 3)

Can't you just have had 2 bad days? I don't think 2 days are a long enough period to signal a significant change.

You may be right but the data you currently have can't ever be enough

I don't have "bad days" I power trade. I work from home, I'm a designer / social media entrepreneur. Every day is about the same, I have the same stock of items, I trade roughly the same amount and I was getting to the point i could pretty accurately determine how much I was making in profit daily.

And for those who want to see, I just photoshopped together a comparison of my trade offers from January 22nd to January 18th. Both days I worked from home for 8 hours straight. Both days had nearly the exact same threads / autobumped trades up, but actually on the 21st I remade all of my trades, updated all of my outposts stock to help combat the premonition I had that this would be devastating to the average number of trade offers I get daily. Let's take a look at that comparison for a sec, ok?

QaIMKEH.jpg

Yes, completely by coincidence I only received 10 fucking trade offers total yesterday the 22nd, although I was online doing EVEN more than I normally do to try to promote my trades and 47 FORTY GOD DAMN SEVEN trade offers on the 18th, before this change was implemented.

I don't have "bad days" I power trade. I work from home, I'm a designer / social media entrepreneur. Every day is about the same, I have the same stock of items, I trade roughly the same amount and I was getting to the point i could pretty accurately determine how much I was making in profit daily.

And for those who want to see, I just photoshopped together a comparison of my trade offers from January 22nd to January 18th. Both days I worked from home for 8 hours straight. Both days had nearly the exact same threads / autobumped trades up, but actually on the 21st I remade all of my trades, updated all of my outposts stock to help combat the premonition I had that this would be devastating to the average number of trade offers I get daily. Let's take a look at that comparison for a sec, ok?

Yes, completely by coincidence I only received 4 fucking trade offers yesterday, although I was online doing EVEN more than I normally do to try to promote my trades and 47 FORTY GOD DAMN SIX trade offers on the 18th, before this change was implemented.

Okay you convinced me :P

But as a general standing point you have to agree that my points made somewhat sense

Okay you convinced me :P

But as a general standing point you have to agree that my points made somewhat sense

Yeah, I'm not trying to dog you here, your raised a valid concern, but the change is so overwhelming that I don't need weeks worth of data. 

If someone can automatically execute trade offers on the victim's computer, why can't they also do the same with a normal trade?  Why have email verification for trade offers but not for normal trades?

If someone can automatically execute trade offers on the victim's computer, why can't they also do the same with a normal trade?  Why have email verification for trade offers but not for normal trades?

They could technically do that too, but that'd require the user to be friends with some bot account to trade with, and also would bring up the trade window, showing the user "hey I'm jackin' your shit bro", to which they could just close it repeatedly and kill the virus process.

EDIT: ^^^ Unless, they used the virus to steal your SSFN files and login info and logged in as you somewhere else. Then, yes, this is a big issue and can be done.

The point of them using trade offers is that it sends all of it behind the scenes, so the user doesn't even notice it happening. And, the creator has to put in little to no effort on their part besides making the bot / virus.

Because even phishers can read trade notes when you say, trade offers only please.

Archived