Trade offer Confirmation Emails

Winter Scout

What's a title  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Disabled / Enabled the E-Mail Verification?

That's good as far as I'm concerned.  Duping hurts the market.  Support should never have starting doing that to begin with.

There are two sides to that coin though: 

Let's say a rare 1/1 hat gets scammed.  Under the previous model, the dupe in the victim's backpack was still perfectly legal to sell whereas the scammed hat will get you marked.  So at least the hat stayed in the economy.  Now that will no longer be the case since there will only be the scammed original and we all know what happens when you put your hands on an expensive 1/1 hat that's obviously been scammed (even if the seller isn't marked yet).  You will get the ban and sooner or later the hat will go completely off the market since it's in a marked bp. 

So this effectively will take some hats completely off the market since you know as long as TF2 is still alive, there will be people lucky enough to unbox $10,000 worth of pixels and at the same time dumb enough to fall for a scam within hours of the unbox.  

Edit:  Won't matter anyway.  Apparently Steam will only not grant you your items back if you disable that option.  If you're stupid enough to get scammed, you've still got that option enabled since you couldn't figure out where to disable it :/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So steamsupport won't help us if we turn email notification off?

That's correct.If you lose your stuff, you're on your own.

Of course, as was previously stated, if you think before taking any sort of action you should be fine. The vast majority of scams only happen because the victim doesn't think before clicking a phishing link pr that sort of thing

99 out of 100 times, you will not get your stuff back anyways.

^ This

Steam Support sucks for the most part anyways, so you're not really losing much by going this route. It's good that they made everybody start with it first and be auto-opted so you need to manually go in and disable. That way the majority of players will have this still enabled and will be protected. The rest of us that disable who've been careful from day one and have not been phished or hacked will still be just as well off as we've ever been because we aren't morons. All is good. 

Finally, after hours of realizing how retarded they were, Steam finally remove the captcha!!!!

More info here (you will still have to disable an annoying email thing, buts its nothing)

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/trade_tf#announcements/detail/252534223773434505

I AM SO FUCKING HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have no issues for captchas.I still need no email confirmation for trade offers.

steam just do what they do because they decided that returning scammed items is retarded.

and I agree with that.

I don't see the purpose of it. Yes you can deactivate it but if you get hacked without clicking a link (happens on rare occasions, especially to "famous" and rich people like Mattie etc) you wont get your items back.

So what does it protect from? Clicking a phishing link? Nope, the hijackers just can trade the normal way (if they don't get your email account with your steam account in the first place). So the only thing I can imagine that it could protect from is the bugged trade offer thing that steam-stealer uses (where it sends you two trade offers, one for your whole backpack and another one where you would get some free items. If you decline the whole backpack one and accept the gift it glitches and you accept the whole backpack offer, means you lose all your items).

But why don't restore your items if you get hijacked then? Email confirmation for trade offers clearly doesn't help in that case anyways.

And what sense does the white-list >5000 trades make? So if you are white-listed you won't get those emails, even if you wanted too. I guess steam thinks that you know about the trade offer glitch when you have >5000 trades. But why do this instead of making a public announcement about the glitch and warn people about it? 

/rant

I don't see the purpose of it. Yes you can deactivate it but if you get hacked without clicking a link (happens on rare occasions, especially to "famous" and rich people like Mattie etc) you wont get your items back.

So what does it protect from? Clicking a phishing link? Nope, the hijackers just can trade the normal way (if they don't get your email account with your steam account in the first place). So the only thing I can imagine that it could protect from is the bugged trade offer thing that steam-stealer uses (where it sends you two trade offers, one for your whole backpack and another one where you would get some free items. If you decline the whole backpack one and accept the gift it glitches and you accept the whole backpack offer, means you lose all your items).

But why don't restore your items if you get hijacked then? Email confirmation for trade offers clearly doesn't help in that case anyways.

And what sense does the white-list >5000 trades make? So if you are white-listed you won't get those emails, even if you wanted too. I guess steam thinks that you know about the trade offer glitch when you have >5000 trades. But why do this instead of making a public announcement about the glitch and warn people about it? 

/rant

I stopped getting emails at 4,950 trades

I stopped getting emails at 4,950 trades

Even disabling it and actively re-enabling it at 5k+ trades still won't give me the email even if I did want it.

-snip-

If they're really not going to restore items if you lose items because of a trade glitch -and let me be very clear about this: a glitch which is THEIR fault, something out of your hands which you can't do anything about- then they're going to lose alot of my respect. That would seem morally wrong to me.

However, if they don't restore items because you clicked a phishing link then it's totally understandable they won't restore. It's your own fault for not paying attention afterall.

I guess we'll have to wait until the first trade offer glitch occurs by someone who disabled it to see what they'll do with it.

Steam Profile > Edit Profile > My Privacy Settings > Confirmation of Trades > Disable.

Don't be dumb and get your account compromised, Valve won't help you with lost items if you disable this.

Oh thank you, I have just passed my afternoon switching between steam and outlook, with Firefox crashing every 5 minutes..

Valve really sucks after all, but I prefer not to confirm each trade offer.

Edit : If they no longer care about scammed persons and giving them back their items, and all the safe economy blah blah blah, why not remove that 1-week purchase limitation ? I mean for those that desactivated the email confirmation option ?

Oh thank you, I have just passed my afternoon switching between steam and outlook, with Firefox crashing every 5 minutes..

Valve really sucks after all, but I prefer not to confirm each trade offer.

Edit : If they no longer care about scammed persons and giving them back their items, and all the safe economy blah blah blah, why not remove that 1-week purchase limitation ? I mean for those that desactivated the email confirmation option ?

It's generally believed that the 7-day untradeable thing is mostly there to protect Valve from credit card scams and paypal charge backs.  Doesn't seem to have anything to do with scammed items.  

It's generally believed that the 7-day untradeable thing is mostly there to protect Valve from credit card scams and paypal charge backs.  Doesn't seem to have anything to do with scammed items.  

I didn't know that but, officially, the 7-day limitation is to "combat fraud and scam", it's written almost everywhere on the steam community market.

I didn't know that but, officially, the 7-day limitation is to "combat fraud and scam", it's written almost everywhere on the steam community market.

Well, they wouldn't write "We are inconveniencing you because we need to protect ourselves from rampant credit card fraud". 

Yes, they are getting scammed by credit card fraudsters. 7 days limit is on the edge of crippling the trading market I suppose.

Btw I merged two threads and gave this a normal thread title (instead of WTF STEAM ..).

If they're really not going to restore items if you lose items because of a trade glitch -and let me be very clear about this: a glitch which is THEIR fault, something out of your hands which you can't do anything about- then they're going to lose alot of my respect. That would seem morally wrong to me.

However, if they don't restore items because you clicked a phishing link then it's totally understandable they won't restore. It's your own fault for not paying attention afterall.

I guess we'll have to wait until the first trade offer glitch occurs by someone who disabled it to see what they'll do with it.

Well the glitch is still kinda rare I guess and I barely hear anything complain about it (unlike phishing link victims) but yeah as I said I simply can't imagine another purpose than this for the email. And because of this rare glitch you have to get an email every time now or you wont get any help at all with way more common things like scams or being hacked. I would totally understand if you don't get help if you fall for this exact glitch but for everything? Well I will keep the email because if something happens to my account a few thousand $ are gone and I wont get any support otherwise.

Also white-list...why 5000 trades? Are 1000 trades not enough? Why does market transactions doesn't count at all? With the auto-trader scam bots can do that too with a bit more effort or whatever but I wanna see a scam bot do 5000 market transactions just to be unlimited. Imo it should be either like 1000 trades or 1000 market transactions or like 1500 of both combined. 

I hope enough people complain and they change something again...for the better this time.

Also white-list...why 5000 trades? Are 1000 trades not enough? Why does market transactions doesn't count at all? With the auto-trader scam bots can do that too with a bit more effort or whatever but I wanna see a scam bot do 5000 market transactions just to be unlimited. Imo it should be either like 1000 trades or 1000 market transactions or like 1500 of both combined. 

I hope enough people complain and they change something again...for the better this time.

Who knows, they may have gathered statistics before making the decision.

Archived