Need some advice on a laptop

λngelღмander

I'm going to buy a new laptop, my cat destroyed my old one. I removed the 250 GB hard drive from it, and I was wondering if I could put it in a laptop of the same make and model and expect it to boot normally with all of my old data on it? Thanks

Tldr, can I put an old hard drive into a new laptop of same model or will I need to transfer the data over somehow

Where is the data for an operating system stored, the hard drive? If I put this windows seven hard drive inside an XP professional laptop, will it be windows seven?

If it's the exact same, then yes. Alternatively, you just get a new computer and copy all the important stuff over and not have to worry about all the crap/clutter that builds up. 

If it's the exact same, then yes. Alternatively, you just get a new computer and copy all the important stuff over and not have to worry about all the crap/clutter that builds up.

i would rather just pick up where i left off, if you know what I mean. If I put this 250 gb hard drive in as a replacement for a 160 g hard drive with windows seven, it will just accept it without any problems, like a flawless organ transplant?

May I ask how?

she pissed on it, many many times. AT first, some of the keys became spotty and dysfunctional, then the power button stopped working entirely, then the thing just turned off and wouldn't turn back on, and in an attempt to fix it, I just ruined it further.

I did the exact samething with some old EMachines and the drivers were fucked up. But if you use the EXACT same laptop, it should be fine. I'd still go the way of USB/transfer cable just to be safe.

Oh and one more thing, does the frequency matter? The old laptop is 2.53 ghz, and the new one is apparently. 2.4 ghz, does this change matter for a hard drive? And if the computer I'm getting is windows xp, eill pulling its hard drive out and putting the old one in change the operating system or will it run my data on windows xp?

Sorry 4 bein noob

Well... it may work if you simply put the new hard drive into the new computer. If it was your only hard drive on your old laptop, it will contain an OS.

However, the graphics/audio drivers may not be compatible, and you'll have to redownload graphics/audio drivers. Until then, you may experience odd screen resolutions or distorted screen settings, or funny sound.

EDIT: Yes, the hard drive is fully self-contained, and will boot up like your old laptop did, including all your files and settings.

Woah woah woah. Are you sure that your new laptop has user-serviceable parts? As in, are you sure you can simply take out the hard drive from your new laptop?

Thank you all very much, I will purchase a new laptop.

Just remember to ask if the hard drive is compatible to fit with the laptop, just in case. 

Oh and one more thing, does the frequency matter? The old laptop is 2.53 ghz, and the new one is apparently. 2.4 ghz, does this change matter for a hard drive? And if the computer I'm getting is windows xp, eill pulling its hard drive out and putting the old one in change the operating system or will it run my data on windows xp?

Sorry 4 bein noob

The frequency of the cpu wouldn't be the issue -- and I don't remember how WinXP license works exactly....BUT, liceneses are tied to motherboardd -- so as long as the motherboard is the same there is no issue. However, with a different motherboard you might need to reauthorize the old drive with the new license thereby complicating things. 

It would be much simpler (and all around better) to just copy the important data off the old drive and scrap it. 

Woah woah woah. Are you sure that your new laptop has user-serviceable parts? As in, are you sure you can simply take out the hard drive from your new laptop?

Just remember to ask if the hard drive is compatible to fit with the laptop, just in case. 

If it's an hdd and not an ssd in the new laptop than it will 100% work. If it's an ssd that it will still probably work, but there is still the chance that the new laptop would use the mSata interface instead. 

Well, I know that the laptops are of the same model, dell latitude e4300. The hard drive, I'm not sure if it's an hdd or ssd, came out of the side easily after I removed one screw. Realizing what it was, I set it aside. If I get a laptop of the same model, it should theoretically have the same port in the same spot, and I assume I can just swap them out. I don't know what masts is, but the new laptop says it has a Sata interface, and the old one says serial at a, so I realize that this is just an abbreviation for the same thing, nowhere was there an m.

i'm just gonna flat out ask.

Out of everything the cat sees, it decides to piss on the laptop?

That cat has some high standards

(ik the feel of cat problemz)

i'm just gonna flat out ask.

Out of everything the cat sees, it decides to piss on the laptop?

That cat has some high standards

(ik the feel of cat problemz)

all cats are dicks in that way.

shit i buy my cat imported fish from norway with all these proteins and crap at she turns her head at it/

shit i buy my cat imported fish from norway with all these proteins and crap at she turns her head at it

"i'd rather eat a spider out of the bathtub." - every cat, all the time

For your question about where the OS is stored, it's on the HDD, and Dell computers usually have a back-up partition of the OS so you can boot from that if anything goes wrong.

A laptop? I had a core i3 before it fucked up. Afterwards I wasn't allowed to install steam again. Waited for months and now I have it. Need to take it back up to install the card and the 10GB OF RAM

Archived