Will Valve ever do anything about the phishing bots?

Bukz

What can they do? Prevent people from posting links? Not going to work. Prevent people from making alternate accounts? Not going to work. What do you suggest?

At the very least give users some filters to automatically decide who and who cannot friend request you. For example private profiles or accounts with low levels/no paid games, etc.

At the very least give users some filters to automatically decide who and who cannot friend request you. For example private profiles or accounts with low levels/no paid games, etc.

Won't work for someone like me where I only play Team Fortress 2... and put all my money to Team Fortress 2... and nothing else.

Yes, I will be one who will keep playing, who'll stay back and play with those left.

For example private profiles or accounts with low levels/no paid games, etc.

So the common person who wants a private profile since they don't want to give any info besides their name can't add you because you chose to ignore people like them?

For sure there will be false positives, but it seems like a better alternative than the nothing that Valve is doing about it. These arseholes should be prosecuted.

That's a great idea which unfortunately would most likely not happen. Itd help more so being convenient more than helpful. Much like how valve changed the inventory history private by default. Same problem. If people are smart enough to enable/disable settings like that, they are more than likely smart enough to not get scammed.

That's a great idea which unfortunately would most likely not happen. Itd help more so being convenient more than helpful. Much like how valve changed the inventory history private by default. Same problem. If people are smart enough to enable/disable settings like that, they are more than likely smart enough to not get scammed.

I understand where you're coming from but in that case they should make the safest settings default. If the person in question is not smart enough to make their inventory public they're probably not smart enough to tell a phisher from a legitimate trader. Make it auto-ignore friend requests from private profiles and accounts with nothing but f2p games by default, keep your userbase safe, and if people feel comfortable enough or want to roll the dice then they can change the settings themselves.

This is all assuming that Valve cannot prevent this problem. I'm not even sure they can anymore.

Lol.

You know that's not true B)

What can they do? Prevent people from posting links? Not going to work. Prevent people from making alternate accounts? Not going to work. What do you suggest?

Block links or do what every other trading website does i.e. filtering out genuine websites in green and red for unrecognised websites.

I dont see why people need to link you anwyays so...

Block links or do what every other trading website does i.e. filtering out genuine websites in green and red for unrecognised websites.

I dont see why people need to link you anwyays so...

I like that idea of marking legit Steam links but blocking them altogether won't fly. Me and my best friend share random links via Steam chat all the time.

If enough people report a phishing bot, Valve actually does remove its ability to post links, at least in profile comments; one of the ones who tried to spam me just had a {link removed be wary of scams} in its comment instead.

They already have a link filter, but the bots just stopped putting http:// and now you have to copy/paste it, bypassing the filter.

Really they should just give an option to turn off friend requests. Just look at the guy with the new Burning TC. I'd wager he got at least 100 requests, both malicious and not, but a huge annoyance nonetheless.

And regarding links, there's nothing short of Valve issuing some sort of mass warning to every user educating them about malicious links that could work.

But that won't work because people wouldn't read and still get phished.

Also, any kind of preventative measures to chat/comments would hurt regular users more than help the ones who get phished.

They already have a link filter, but the bots just stopped putting http:// and now you have to copy/paste it, bypassing the filter.

That makes it a failed filter not to mention that was only for the steam profile not chat... I fail to see how a muti-million dollar company decides to neglect a simple solution and decides to waste money on dealing with the many complains and dealing with restoring backpacks for the pas few years...

give me an option to play sound when I get a friend request 

give me an option to play sound and popup when i get a trade offer

give me the opton to have both of them flash/blink

give me the ability to turn off friend requests

pretty sure all of this shit was available in AIM 4.2 so I don't know what the fuck is so fucking hard about implementing it 12 years later.

That makes it a failed filter not to mention that was only for the steam profile not chat... I fail to see how a muti-million dollar company decides to neglect a simple solution and decides to waste money on dealing with the many complains and dealing with restoring backpacks for the pas few years...

Even if they did something like you suggested the same work-around applies, or at least they'd jump through more hoops (like a space between . and com) to do so because people would still fall for it.

Valve can't stop people from being uneducated about malicious links, and any way of preventing them would harm normal users, and/or have some workaround.

Even if they did something like you suggested the same work-around applies, or at least they'd jump through more hoops (like a space between . and com) to do so because people would still fall for it.

Valve can't stop people from being uneducated about malicious links, and any way of preventing them would harm normal users, and/or have some workaround.

Im not saying that valve has to completely eradicate phishing because dumb users will still be dumb but it's better for them to acknowledge a problem at least try to address the issue than to do nothing. Simply blocking links or a filter in chats would significantly decrease the amount of people who get phished so they dont have to deal with the support...etc.

Back when outpost didnt have filters people kept getting phished via comments/offers but now because the filter is there it significant reduced the amount of people who got phished hence why phishing bots became a thing instead because there is no filter on chat. Atm the main platform where people get phished is steam's chat because every other website has a proper filter.

I wonder if they've considered taking metrics with logins from location or IP. If multiple accounts are being logged in or created from the same IP or domain address, it could raise a flag to Valve that someone is farming accounts from there. Unless the people creating the accounts are also spoofing their IP when they create and login to those accounts, a digital paper trail is likely to surface through IP login history. (Actually, accounts that often login from different domains could be another thing to find metrics on.) Perhaps even cross-checking data among reported accounts, and finding common traits in the account creation could also be something.

I'm just spitballing though. I personally think hindering or neutralizing the source of the problem is definitely better than placing new regulations on existing users. Though likely, Valve sees this as being low priority compared to most everything else they deal with. (Supported by why they're more likely to slap a patch on their client rather than perform a mass user audit.) I mean, it's not like they don't have the user information over the past decade to try and implement intelligent countermeasures...

If enough people report a phishing bot, Valve actually does remove its ability to post links, at least in profile comments; one of the ones who tried to spam me just had a {link removed be wary of scams} in its comment instead.

I've had links that were backpack.ft on my profile then got removed and replaced with the {link removed be wary of scams}.

I just wish I could make my friends list private because they keep getting bot adding them.

One simple and easy way to lessen phish victims is to add a "Never click any suspicious-looking links" warning or something like that to Steam chat in addition to the "Never tell your password to anyone" warning. The former warning might as well replace the latter since you don't see many people stupid enough to tell their password to anyone. 

So the common person who wants a private profile since they don't want to give any info besides their name can't add you because you chose to ignore people like them?

well the option where you get to choose the kind of ppl that add you is the sole purpose of this suggestion.

I personally want no private account friend requests.

and I never trade them for whatever the reason also I autoignore every low level add as I barely do scrap trading simple put they are  a total different level of traders that I am and usually things they trade is things I raffle just for the fun of it.

See it as a time saving thing where it helps you not wasting time for things you don't care.

One simple and easy way to lessen phish victims is to add a "Never click any suspicious-looking links" warning or something like that to Steam chat in addition to the "Never tell your password to anyone" warning. The former warning might as well replace the latter since you don't see many people stupid enough to tell their password to anyone. 

userneame: Phishme

password: youcanhaveallmyitems

I don't want people to know my personal information.

I know! Let me put that online so all can see.

No, if people don't want their personal information accessed it's the wrong decision to put it on their profile in the first place. Unless it's a reminder so they don't forget who they are. Queue Matt Smith reply.

I don't want people to know my personal information.

I know! Let me put that online so all can see.

No, if people don't want their personal information accessed it's the wrong decision to put it on their profile in the first place. Unless it's a reminder so they don't forget who they are. Queue Matt Smith reply.

trading is about trust you can still trade for scraps and stuff but when it comes to cash and trades with high tier items we are better off the private accounts.you cant trust a private account with money its immoral and promotes black market.

Archived