How to idle after textmode disable

Pyrocide

Reposting as this is more so related to how to idle instead of textmode being dead.

Seems as though a few of the people with hundreds of idle accounts have joined together and this guy has made a good way to idle with the use of sandboxie, autohotkey and vjoy. I am trying this at the moment (10 minutes in @2PM CST) and will post back if this works.

How to idle after textmode disable update

it is also worth noting that one of the idle farmers was recently banned... and accounts locked indefinitely.

http://forums.sourceop.com/threads/145300-PSA-Idling-now-a-bannable-offense

The above mentioned method works. 14:06PM CST item drop and placed in backpack.

Also, for those of you that do not have power houses might considering adding these to your autoexec.cfg file to help your performance.

mat_powersavingmode 1
mat_picmip 10
r_rootlod 7
r_lod 10
mat_viewportscale 0
sv_cheats 1
fps_max 10

Below are troubleshooting steps from facepunch.com member praetorus getting sandboxie to recognize the vjoy.

VJoy Troubleshooting Guide

Step 1: Make sure VJoy is set up as your preferred joystick.

Click on Start -> Run or press the Windows Button + R to bring up the run menu
Type in "joy.cpl" without the quotations

To test that Windows is reading your inputs correctly, select the VJoy Virtual Joystick and click on Properties. When you hit Scroll Lock, the 1 button should light up.

Afterwards, click on the Advanced Button, and make sure that the VJoy Virtual Joystick is selected.

Step 2: Make sure that Steam recognizes VJoy

Launch Steam in Big Picture mode.
Select the gear icon to get into settings.
Click on controller.
It should say VJoy Virtual Controller.

Step 3: Make sure that Sandboxie recognizes VJoy

Go to the Sandboxie Control Panel
Right click on a Sandbox and go to Sandbox Settings
Click on Resource Access -> IPC Access -> Direct Access
Add this to the list: \RPC Control\plugplay

Going to see how many of my idle accounts my rig can handle at any one time and post back results.

NOTE: I would not try this on your main until we hear an official word from VALVe on if idling is bannable now...warning given.

METHOD #2 that seems to work

Be that as it may, some people spent a lot of money on idle accounts and premium upgrades. I doubt the guy with 4200 accounts wouldve let this stop him from making money if it not for his accounts getting a permanent ban.

Thanks for posting this, I'll have to check it out. I use sandboxie, so hopefully I'll be able to get this working. In regards to the bans, I'm assuming that Valve is more concerned with the idling farms that the person in that post has and not someone who has under 10 idle accounts.

That was an initial thought Christley. Not sure, but it apparently, according to the guy that posted that particular part of the launch options, it works for him. I have a machine that can handle all of my extra accounts without using any other params so I havent tested that part of it. 

When I get home I will test out all params to make sure they work...

For now it is 99.99% all just -textmode param that prevents you from moving items to backpack without the use of third party programs like http://www.jengerer.com/item_manager/ but even this still requires you to move items and be AT/remote the machine to do so. The two methods above allow you to set and forget with minimal increase to carbon use and hardware (RAM, GPU and CPU) usage increases.

well, when me and my brother plays mvm alone i always turn on sv_cheats so we can get some extra currency to actually survive the waves. and then i cant get items, have to turn it off to get some

who has 4200 alt acc...

check the sourceop thread i linked. He had a support chat trying to get his 4200 alts unbanned.

Idling is a cheap tactic of making profit and anyone who does that should have all the accounts banned permanently from both playing on VAC-secured servers and trading aswell. Without a chance to appeal. Seriously, people trying to find a new way to idle after the latest changes Valve has made, disgust me. Would happily watch your accounts getting banned for that. 

I stoped idling awhile ago. It was better to spend my time flipping items and unusuals. I have 3 premium accts and 7 ftp accounts. I am considering selling the accounts to ftp players.

It is interesting to note though, Valve made a lot of money off of idlers. A lot of Prem upgrades specifically were purchased by idlers. 

My question is why did this bother Valve in 2009, then not again until now? It made them money, brought a lot of business to the table and didn't really hurt anyone except the whiners about key prices. 

The only change this will possibly make is a slow down in users with hundreds of accounts. But people with only a few idle accounts will continue to do so, and most likely never even get contacted by Valve about it. Idling the old fashioned way fits exactly in their definition of Actively Playing.

Idling is a cheap tactic of making profit and anyone who does that should have all the accounts banned permanently from both playing on VAC-secured servers and trading aswell. Without a chance to appeal. Seriously, people trying to find a new way to idle after the latest changes Valve has made, disgust me. Would happily watch your accounts getting banned for that. 

They gave money to valve, they shouldn't get banned. There is nothing wrong with being able to have tons of accounts. Support those who support valve. You're just jealous you don have the alt accounts. :) 

They gave money to valve, they shouldn't get banned. There is nothing wrong with being able to have tons of accounts. Support those who support valve. You're just jealous you don have the alt accounts. :)

Please, don't tell me you're serious. Scammers also "gave money to Valve", should I support them aswell? That one mass farmer got all his accounts banned for a reason, and none of you are banned just because you're not known as farmers across the community neither you farm like that guy did. Ones play and earn, others idle and farm. As for jealousy, I won't even comment. 

Please, don't tell me you're serious. Scammers also "gave money to Valve", should I support them aswell? That one mass farmer got all his accounts banned for a reason, and none of you are banned just because you're not known as farmers across the community neither you farm like that guy did. Ones play and earn, others idle and farm. As for jealousy, I won't even comment. 

scammers violated steams TOS, having multiple accounts up to extreme numbers and/or with the card system isnt against their TOS. so dont even compare an idler to a scammer

I support anyone who gives money to valve. And scammers dont give money to valve constantly. They waste data space with banned alts. And chargebacks help waste time for valve. And so does having a whole support to deal with scammer tickets and activities. So how do scammers give money away? They seem to help waste their time and resources. Maybe thats why steam support is slow, they have all the bs scammer stuff to deal with. 

And yes you should be jealous, that guy with thousands of accounts was ranking in the bank, he was making wayy more dosh then min wage job a year. Without doing real work. 

scammers violated steams TOS, having multiple accounts up to extreme numbers and/or with the card system isnt against their TOS. so dont even compare an idler to a scammer

Exactly. Crabislav you just like to complain about anything 

What makes you say they gave money?

They can use all the refined they make from idling to trade for backpack expanders and upgrade-to-premium. Which would cost them 0 money. Or am I missing something?

What makes you say they gave money?

They can use all the refined they make from idling to trade for backpack expanders and upgrade-to-premium. Which would cost them 0 money. Or am I missing something?

Who cares if it had to cost them money. Money went into valves pockets is what matters. They used valves metal turn those into keys , money from another guys pocket. And then money to valve. 

And its usually just buy premium gift and make 2 accounts. But they cause demand for those premium which makes more people buy them, which makes more dosh for valve. 

So everything they did was more dosh to valve. So no downsides. 

Please, stop talking about jealousy here as it takes no place. I thought that it was pretty obvious from my posts that I've never respected idling. If I was jealous I would've probably made several accounts just for idling as I know that even my friends get slavaged crates on their idle accounts and stuff like that several times per month. I wouldn't mind if he obtained such huge amounts of money legitimately. Maybe then I would've been jealous because I would never reach his level. He got punished by Valve though which I'm not okay with. Moreover, I never said that idler is a scammer, I gave you an example of rule breakers who also dontated to Valve and asked if you respect them aswell. The point of my first post was that I find it hilarious how people are trying to keep idling after last update even though Valve clearly stated that you are only given new items for actively playing the game. Yet people keep trying to find holes in their new drop system to profit. Regarding me and complaining about everything, if backpack.tf is everything for you, then it's just sad. Learn to differ complaining from sharing opinion, please. 

The only thing that arguments like this end up in is a flame war. Therefore, I'm no longer going to discuss this. Thanks for sharing your opinons though.

Im new here, and I hope i dont upset anyone that is against the idling idea.. let me first start by saying * I'm not interested in idling for profit * with that said, let me throw my measly 2 cents in here Ill try and keep this quick and sweet, but there is a whole multitude of variables to consider here..

First and most importantly I thin is the fact that this is NOW a free to play game.. seems like alot of the community is from the days when it was NOT a f2p game.. This is important because it doesn't have the basic game design as all other f2p games; most of them are free to play, but PAY 2 WIN .. the more money u spend on the game the stronger your character can become.. and hence idling for profit destroys the game, cause simple casual players just cant compete with either the rich kids with mommy's credit card, OR, the computer inclined program writers that find the loop holes in all the games and "idle for profit".

This first point is so incredibly important because, this game, no matter how much money you spend on your character, it can only get but so strong ( added stats from equipment ).. therefore no matter how "Rich" another player is, the new guy can still compete, and eventually, without spending ANY money, can get equipment that is almost identical in stats. 

So much for that being a short and sweet first point.. so let me move to the next one.. and I am positive that no matter what side of the line you stand on with this issue, if you take the time to seriously think about it; you will see its an absolute truth!

When i do a server refresh of all servers, the total comes to around 2000ish, maybe a little under.. and again this is an estimate, but im gonna say around 300-500 or more are for idling/achievement/trade.. these (and i do not know for absolute sure on any of them) are more then likely funded by someone, or a group of someones that idle or trade for profit.. Take away the ability to idle for items.. them servers will most definitely start to disappear.. and as they disappear, then the traders that put the money they make back into the community for either clans, or public servers, or even talking in the community will move on to other games as well.. this is a domino effect.. as the *income* that is generated by these idlers is taken away, so is the *free* funding to the community.. lets face it.. valve is not putting up new servers by the 100's all over the world for the community to play on.. its the community itself is doing this.. Valve doesnt make 20-50 bux for every person playing this game anymore.. the only funding they are getting is by selling items in the shop ( and ofcoarse the usual sources like advertising and whatnot ) and some will argue that idlers are stealing from valve cause people are buying from idlers and not the valve shop.. and you would be in part, right.. However, I can assure you that idlers/traders are spending more money on the cash shop then the newcomers to the game.. 

What I'm basically getting at is this.. this community needs any and all sources of income and support if it wants to continue growing, or even sustain its current membership.

I cant see where idling is hurting the community, OR valve in any way shape or form.. in fact, i dont see anything but good coming from it.. They do not flood the community with completely OP weapons that are impossible to get by a casual player, they dont "run off" new players by completely dominating the server(s) making it just totally not fun to play. They aren't "Stealing" from valve or the community.. (not flooding valve funded servers with idle bots). 

I kinda lost my thought process with this cause my kids keep asking me questions.. 

My point is this everyone.. I am 36 years old, I been playing online games since Quake 1 on a 14.4k baud modem.. I have played alot of paid games, and alot of free games.. paid games rely on people purchasing the game to fund it.. and if theres an online part (like this game was) theres extras u can buy to make the game a little more fun and interesting, but doesn't give any real over dominating effects over other players. and then theres the free to play games, where the only funding they get is from the cash shop items.. and they ALWAYS sell over powered gear to anyone wanting to pay enough money to BUY their wins in the game.

We have the best of both worlds here.. and I say until theres a definitive advantage to actual gameplay as a result of idlers, OR it hampers the growth and/or the enjoyment of the overall game for newcomers and veterans alike then please, leave well enough alone!

I just have to believe that most of the monies that is profited from even the professional idlers is put back into the gaming community.. I can assure you that if all the money spent by everyone on this game (buying items or whatever) is 100% given to valve, and not used to fund new clans, or new servers.. then this game will be dead in less then a year!..

face it guys and gals.. we need them people that spend so much time and effort coming up with a form of free income from the game.. and that they use that money back in the community.. cause without their influx of money to the game, how would it continue to fund itself.. They arent stealing from YOU. or ME or VALVE..

they dont tie up servers so i cant find one to play on

they DO supply a way for me to get in item that i want, that i would otherwise not be able to get cause i dont have real money to spend

they DO supply free game servers for us to all play on.

they DO promote growth in the game by funding clans/servers even sometimes new players

theres a lesson that most all humans all know of, but rarely follow..

if its not broke .. dont fix it !!

** A little more then 2 cents.. but i hope i got my point across..

I love u all, and hope to see everyone around still in a year.. i bought this game years and years ago and quit playing.. when i seen recently how the community was still thriving, i started playing again.. I can not help but believe that its the idlers and all the efforts of the like, that work so hard to make an abundance of these items for sale and use in the game, and make and alternative to obtaining them other then spending real life money that has kept the community thriving so long after the move to free to play..  Most games dont make it long after a transition like that

• 2 weeks later...

its hard to find a rational man in tf2. i use to think idling is damaging the community, but now you have shown me a dif light.

however how do you back up ''However, I can assure you that idlers/traders are spending more money on the cash shop then the newcomers to the game.. ''

Archived