Duped Hats -- What is Their Origin?

Seventh Woods

I tried using the search function on the forums, but didn't immediately see this topic addressed.  Forgive me if I missed it.  My question is about duped hats and how they become.  I was told some information and I just want to run it by you guys here for verification.

I was told a duped hat was essentially manufactured via stealing/hijacking accounts.  Meaning, someone gets their Steam account hijacked and the unusuals that were in that account are now lost and sold.  When that user gets their Steam account back and their items, it causes for there to be two unusual hats with the same ID -- The one that was stolen and the one that the original owner has once they get their account/items back.

^is that the origin as far as duped hats go or am I completely off base?  I'm asking because I've never had a duped hat and really do not want one if that is how they come about.

Thank you in advance.

What you described is one of the main origins of duped items. Duped items may also originate from exploits that allowed users to duplicate their items.

What you described is one of the main origins of duped items. Duped items may also originate from exploits that allowed users to duplicate their items.

Is there any way to tell how the duped item originated?

Is there any way to tell how the duped item originated?

There isn't really a way to tell whether it was from an exploit or from phishing. However, any recent dupes (1 year or less) are definitely from phishing since no duping exploit has been found recently.

There isn't really a way to tell whether it was from an exploit or from phishing. However, any recent dupes (1 year or less) are definitely from phishing since no duping exploit has been found recently.

Thanks for the information.  Based off what I've gathered in this thread, I will do my best to stay away from dupes.  Really don't want to be supporting that type of behavior.

I went ahead and made a detailed chart showing the process

73EmTpu.png?1

There is really nothing wrong with duped hats unless you must have an absolute 100% clean one.  Other than that its another way for people to lowball on your items.

The reason I created this thread was because I was offered a burning flames Yellow Belt (which is probably my dream Sniper hat) for cheaper than market value because it's duped.  Tough to say no.

Yup, although there hasn't been a major duping exploit in tf2 for a few years now.  This is good.

There really isn't any difference when buying duped hats UNLESS its mass duped or a very high tier hat.

How can you tell is massed duped?  Also, are you saying that you shouldn't buy dupes of a high tier hat?  What do you consider high tier (10 buds, 20 buds, etc)?

How can you tell is massed duped?  Also, are you saying that you shouldn't buy dupes of a high tier hat?  What do you consider high tier (10 buds, 20 buds, etc)?

If you go into the history of an item and the item IDs are frequently red instead of green, then it's a mass dupe.

High tier is usually in the 20 bud range iirc

If you want a really easy-to-spot mass-dupe, go look at the Outpost listings for the Harvest Moon Jumper's Jeepcap. There's supposedly 4 in existence, yet there's 4 with the same level (72) on OP (plus one of another level), plus another level 72 one currently on the Steam Community Market. And, of course, if you look at the history of it, there's a absolute ton of names, and there's a ton of IDs out of order: http://backpack.tf/item/1216824535There's something like 8 copies of that single hat.

Dupes make absolutely no difference for garbage-tier unusuals (<1 bud), then slowly becoming meaningful as you go through the several-bud range, then matter a ton once you start to get above...let's say 10 buds. It depends a lot on how many dupes there are vs. how many clean ones there are, how many are for sale, etc. Look at the difference in price between backpack.tf's value of Vintage Earbuds, and what people are selling dupes for, to get an idea of how much it can matter. In that case, a clean one is worth double what a duped one is, if not more.

73EmTpu.png?1

There is really nothing wrong with duped hats unless you must have an absolute 100% clean one.  Other than that its another way for people to lowball on your items.

Best explanation EVER  :D

73EmTpu.png?1

That's a lovely drawing of flying saucers going through clouds m8

is that the origin as far as duped hats go or am I completely off base?  I'm asking because I've never had a duped hat and really do not want one if that is how they come about.

This is correct :)

Also many dupes came to be in the old days of tf2 when exploits and glitches allowed players to dupe hats themselves, this is tghe reason why some hats are mass duped

Thanks for the information.  Based off what I've gathered in this thread, I will do my best to stay away from dupes.  Really don't want to be supporting that type of behavior.

What behaviour?  Scamming?  You're not doing anything at all to discourage scamming by staying away from dupes.  If anything, you're fucking over the people who were scammed and had all their hats duped.   Do you have any idea how many dupes are out there?  It's a shit ton of hats.  

Funny thing is, without backpack.tf, you'd never know you were dealing with a dupe.  Unless you saw that little red warning, you wouldn't have the slightest idea you weren't dealing with a "clean" hat.   

There hasn't been an exploit to mass-dupe IN YEARS and there probably never will be again.  So don't worry about that.   

The only reason why people care about dupes is because Valve used to delete them sometimes.  This hasn't happened IN YEARS and will never happen again.  

People need to stop worrying about dupes so much.  Yes, it decreases the value of the hat (but it's barely noticeable for anything under 5 buds).  But it doesn't render a hat practically worthless.  Just apply a proper discount for the duped quality (no, it isn't 25%, more like 10 - 15) and go on trading.  

Mass duped? Idk, you must have alot of trading experience to know if its mass duped or not, Burning Tossle, Hearts Bonk Boy, Burning Bonk Boy, lets just say its a pretty big list. Theres alot of factors you must put into consideration before tagging it as "High Tier" it dosen't really only mean the price but the Hat's Rarity, Hats Quantity, Hat's Effect, Hat's Tier and its Resell potential.

Archived