Question about proofs/suggestions. Outlier or not?

♠Derpeh♤

Not sure if this has been talked about or not but what are your opinions on trade.tf?

Ive been recently trying to update the outdated prices on bp.tf and ive noticed that some items which are really in desperate need of a drop only have sales at the current lower end due to trade.tf listing them as a "profit" and many traders blindly follow them thinking that it's a good deal.

A vast number of vintage items already had traders selling around 2 refs under the current price yet some trades still occurred at the lower end. This only occurred if it was detected by trade.tf, if not would remain unsold for days. A reminder that most vintage items only have 1-2 pages of trades open so it isnt hard to find it at a better price.

Another example is the s.grenade launcher where trade.tf lists sellers at 4.2 keys as a "profit" and get the occasional sale, yet if not detected they remain unsold for days as it's relatively easy to find one for 4 keys (at least 2-3 sellers at 4 keys per page on outpost)

and lastly...this http://i.imgur.com/lvw78mk.png paint is on sale (y)

Should we still consider these trades in our suggestions where it is quite obvious they are only getting sold due to trade.tf listing them as "profit" or should we discount them?

Could try and get Swag to put an "on sale" caution tag for items discounted in the Mann Co Store, that might stop this happening.

Could try and get Swag to put an "on sale" caution tag for items discounted in the Mann Co Store, that might stop this happening.

That would be beneficial think a suggestion for this has been up on for this already :)

Just it's starting to get annoying when it's quite obvious lower prices are in order but i still have to keep the current lower end because trade.tf users blindly follow the "profit" and buy at the current lower end, ending up with a somewhat large range when updated :S

Another issue is that using trade.tf's good deals section as a tool to gather proof tends to put a spotlight on quicksells while upper end sales are left invisible, creating the illusion that an item is 'only selling' at lower range or lower. I would personally discourage its use in collecting sale proof.

Another issue is that using trade.tf's good deals section as a tool to gather proof tends to put a spotlight on quicksells while upper end sales are left invisible, creating the illusion that an item is 'only selling' at lower range or lower. I would personally discourage its use in collecting sale proof.

Actually yes, i tried to rely only on trade.tf on some suggestion, then i opened outpost for the same item and some links are not shown in trade.tf. And yes, relying completely on trade.tf will make some sales invisible, but if changing a flat price into a range it will not affect it. Sales alone means quicksell, need sellers+sold

Yeah this is one of the reasons why i try not to use it as proof except to find some solds, not to mention it doesnt detect alot of trades :S

I must say however it's full search function is useful for gathering proof.

Archived