Gren's solution to everything

Gren

that doesn't use ref though.

yes of course it would be cheaper to rebuild headgear with two cheap hats, but that's only an effective way to take hats out of the game and not refined.

Let me try to break this down for you.

The current suggestion would be to apply a recipe {trade-up, which already has been proven to be popular}  which uses ref and randomized common items to create an output item.  This does use ref.  As I said above, the current ref sink is completely useless since hat crafting is cheaper and can result in better profits.  

I have a few issues with this, and most of them can't be helped since, well, the TF2 Economy is pretty fucky since most people just want profit and give no fucks about actually owning items.  

My first issue is that unlike DotA and CSGO, TF2 items have near no organization.  CSGO items work by trading up extra items of one tier to get one item of the next tier.  DotA works in a similar way, but uses recipes which are dropped.  TF2 has no way to organize this as what constitutes the next tier?  Five uniques for a genuine?  Would be absolutely useless as most traders see genuines as the lower tier of unique.  It couldn't be used the other way around as then the recipes would burn through limited quality items.  The closest thing to this that we have now is weapon crafting for certain ones which cannot be found.  If Valve were to introduce this recipe crafting, there would need to be another tier of item such as a "Mann Craft Hottie's Hoodie" which would have a subtle particle effect or something to make it different from Collector's.  And to get Valve to promote this new crafting system, they could sell Recipe Packs for ~10 random items for $5.  The low cost of a recipe would promote ref usage as they're spending ~$.50 and another $.50 in ref to get an item they would like to have.  Again, the problem rises from before that TF2 traders rarely give a shit about how things look if they can't profit off of it.

like "trading up" isn't an even shittier idea.

Everyone except you seems to think not. 

it is already a thing, yea.

you can craft 3 ref into a hat.

sometimes you get a hat that isn't worth 3 ref, sometimes you get something worth a key.

ref still isn't an actual problem though.

Yet you had a solution for a problem you evidently don't believe exists :/

Archived