Gren's solution to everything

Gren

The problem with refined isn't only the fact that it's essentially useless for crafting now, it's also the fact that the items commonly traded for refined (i.e. everything under a key, most stranges, hats and miscs) are about as common as dirt now.  Miscs or stranges that used to go for a key now go for a fraction of that (SCM had a lot to do with that, but that's not the point).  

If Valve wants to do something about this problem (if it is actually a problem), they need a way to get rid of refined and low level items (worth less than a key).  Why not do something like trade up contracts in CSGO?   And before you say "they make no money from those", Valve could sell them for e.g. $1 from the store.   Then you complete the recipe (e.g. 3 Ref, 4 Specific Stranges, 2 Craft hats and 1 misc) and in turn you "trade up".  Trading up would be randomized, but with limited options so you wouldn't get totally screwed over when you don't do well (so basically sometimes you lose a bit of value on the trade up, sometimes you break even, sometimes you profit.  The point is here's a chance to easily get rid of a lot of unwanted crap).  Additionally introduce the preposterously rare chance at a Silver Weapon or something like that, maybe even an unusual.   

I think this could actually work.  

not the worst idea ever. I generally think that valve is considering doing something to make use of all the extra refined, craft hats, and worthless stranges so your idea might not be far off what they are considering.

What does it mean to "trade up"?

I took the name from CSGO.  

http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_Up_Contract

Like I said, you don't necessarily trade up, so maybe you complete a contract with items that equal to be worth 3 keys but you only get a 2 key item back.  Sometimes you break even and sometimes you profit.  This is TF2, gambling has been proven to be a highly successful business strategy.   

Like I said, you don't necessarily trade up, so maybe you complete a contract with items that equal to be worth 3 keys but you only get a 2 key item back.  Sometimes you break even and sometimes you profit.  This is TF2, gambling has been proven to be a highly successful business strategy.   

And a way To lose everything :B1:

It looks similar to chem sets? Judging by what I see in the wiki.

And we know how that ended.

It looks similar to chem sets? Judging by what I see in the wiki.

And we know how that ended.

It is kinda like chem sets.  But you don't get a strangifier, you can get pretty much any item, therefore keeping the possibility of profit.  

um.. it ended good.

ftfy

It worked for a while but they didn't bother updating it. Keeping the idea alive.

Anyway, they can't even add crate #70 so I wouldn't expect much. :lol:

You mentioning CS:GO gave me another idea:

Edit: Idea deleted, it was dumb anyways...not like Valve listens to any of these...they've been suggested for months.

make it so you can bet 1 ref on a player who you think will mvp in a round on your team, in servers with at least 16 players.

if your pick gets #1 you get a random hat + a strange badge misc that records how many times you get the #1 pick correct.

if your pick gets #2 you get 1.33.

if your pick gets #3 you get your ref back + a weapon.

if your pick disconnects before the round ends you get your ref back.

if your pick does not get an mvp spot you lose your ref.

also you can't pick yourself.

cause i'd get rich too quick

make it so you can bet 1 ref on a player who you think will mvp in a round on your team, in servers with at least 16 players.

if your pick gets #1 you get a random hat + a strange badge misc that records how many times you get the #1 pick correct.

if your pick gets #2 you get 1.33.

if your pick gets #3 you get your ref back + a weapon.

if your pick disconnects before the round ends you get your ref back.

if your pick does not get an mvp spot you lose your ref.

also you can't pick yourself.

cause i'd get rich too quick

Totally no way this can be abused with friends filling up an empty server

Totally no way this can be abused with friends filling up an empty server

16 friends

with nothing better to do than get a hat for a ref

ECONOMY SEWERRRRRRED

16 friends

ECONOMY SEWERRRRRRED

okay, try 2 friends. one is a medic, the other is a half decent soldier. medic bets on soldier and pockets. next round they swap. you could end up introducing more metal than is lost.

16 friends

ECONOMY SEWERRRRRRED

Run a public idle server, get people in there, have one friend constantly bet on you, farm ref off of idlers and short rounds.

Yep.

It's an awful idea that would be way too easy to use, and would be too complicated to make it not easy to abuse.  If they won't make a new map because it's "too complicated for new users" I'm sure as shit they won't introduce a whole betting system that more than likely will cause users to lose items when their servers are shitting daily, and not to mention that people aren't going to bet their ref unless they're sure that the person is good, which will end up making an increase in metal, the exact opposite of what you intended it to do.  

And what's to stop two friends from going into a valve server, one plays a medic and other as the class they're good at, going in and pubstomping while betting on each other since they know they're sure to get both 1 and 2 spots?  You could always just bet on medics in servers as they get loads of points if they're helping the team just by healing, getting them an easy MVP.  

This wouldn't work at all.

And you forgot the most important point of this even being a thing.  Valve isn't making money off of it, so they won't do it.

Yeah, now I don't think it would work unless it was heavily altered and restrictions put in place.

It's not like they're going to do anything about anything, anyways.

No point in messing with the system they've got running, as it is a license to print money.

Why do they need to introduce a way to remove refined metal from the game again?

Because there is a lot of it?

Explain why they would care. If you could buy a key from the in-game shop for 40 ref they'd care about the vast amount of refined.

Maybe.

Or they can just pluck ~30 cosmetics from the wasteland that is the community workshop and sell keys that only work on a single crate that possibly holds any of them.

Also introduce game mode with class balance breaking Spider-man web-shooting that feels like it got lifted from a private server.

The unwashed masses scream for more weapons? Give them demo pills that stick, and stickies that are timed. I'm sure they found the models for that in the workshop too.

L4D2 had a feature a while back where community-made campaigns were put in the spotlight and were hosted on official servers so that people could play them reliably. I don't see why they can't do the same thing with better-made TF2 maps on a small sampling of the enormous amount of official servers.

I got off the topic of doing something about refined quantities, because it isn't a real problem.

Yeah, now I don't think it would work unless it was heavily altered and restrictions put in place.

It's not like they're going to do anything about anything, anyways.

No point in messing with the system they've got running, as it is a license to print money.

Why do they need to introduce a way to remove refined metal from the game again?

Because there is a lot of it?

Explain why they would care. If you could buy a key from the in-game shop for 40 ref they'd care about the vast amount of refined.

Maybe.

Or they can just pluck ~30 cosmetics from the wasteland that is the community workshop and sell keys that only work on a single crate that possibly holds any of them.

Also introduce game mode with class balance breaking Spider-man web-shooting that feels like it got lifted from a private server.

The unwashed masses scream for more weapons? Give them demo pills that stick, and stickies that are timed. I'm sure they found the models for that in the workshop too.

L4D2 had a feature a while back where community-made campaigns were put in the spotlight and were hosted on official servers so that people could play them reliably. I don't see why they can't do the same thing with better-made TF2 maps on a small sampling of the enormous amount of official servers.

I got off the topic of doing something about refined quantities, because it isn't a real problem.

First, you hijack this thread with your poorly thought out idea of betting on the top player every round.  Now you're just bitching about Valve in general.  Can you talk about your shit in your own thread? 

First, you hijack this thread with your poorly thought out idea of betting on the top player every round.  Now you're just bitching about Valve in general.  Can you talk about your shit in your own thread? 

like "trading up" isn't an even shittier idea.

it is already a thing, yea.

you can craft 3 ref into a hat.

sometimes you get a hat that isn't worth 3 ref, sometimes you get something worth a key.

ref still isn't an actual problem though.

it is already a thing, yea.

you can craft 3 ref into a hat.

sometimes you get a hat that isn't worth 3 ref, sometimes you get something worth a key.

ref still isn't an actual problem though.

yes, and nearly nobody uses that because why would you?  It's cheaper to craft two 1.33 hats together.  Honestly I can't tell if you're just trying to bait with stupidity or not right now.

that doesn't use ref though.

yes of course it would be cheaper to rebuild headgear with two cheap hats, but that's only an effective way to take hats out of the game and not refined.

Archived