Is there a possibility of pricing everything in keys only since buds are fluctuating

oap

I say this because it would not only help maintain the raw value of items in money trading terms, but it would also stop the crazy fluctuation that would occur. Say you were to buy 15 buds when you could buy buds at 10 keys each, then you're paying around $277.5 for those buds. However, when buds jumped to 15 keys, you're paying around $416.25. This ridiculous fluctuation in price range can be solved by using keys as the preferred form of currency for pricing unusuals and other valuable items. If a 15 bud hat was priced when buds are 13 keys, then it would be priced at 195 keys. This wouldn't change though if people accepted only keys, and it would maintain a healthy economy. The prices of unusuals and the like would only devalue when people undercut each other and there is less demand. It appears there is a good deal of demand right now, but even so the prices can keep dropping as an artificial currency takes over the unusual market. Buds don't actually have any raw value to them -- they were made as a currency and people pay for things in buds, thus their high prices. However, keys have a set value to them, and usually gray market traders hover around the $1.80-$1.90 price, and it has been that way for over a year. Keys seem to be extremely stable, and buds are not at all. This is why I am wondering if backpack.tf and other traders could possibly start giving prices in keys only, and we let buds die out and become just another promo. I've noticed that the sudden drop in buds has been making high tier traders nervous as their unusual's value diminishes, but if we were to collectively price in keys the value would stay the same. It would only fluctuate from supply and demand, and what people are willing to pay for said unusuals. Thanks for reading.

A nice fresh wall of tl;dr.

no m8, as long as unusuals are being traded in buds they will be priced in buds

also you own a burning flames yellow belt

not surprised that you want everything in the currency thats rising

Would you rather pay 100 Buds, or pay 1000 keys and only find out you got 917 keys?

No, I didn't read your wall, I knew what you were gonna say in the title of the thread

Just copy/pasting polar's post here.

There have been a hundred threads about this already. But I'll post this again. Items should be valued in what they are actually sold. If trades are happening in keys, I have no issue with pricing them in keys. The issue is that most trades are NOT happening in keys because ----

Buds are a reflection of the unusual economy. They retain value due to unusuals and the need for a higher denomination of currency, but they also lose value when the unusual market stagnates. This is always the hardest time for the tf2 economy. Most people cash out in the month before Christmas. Some are just done with trading, and it marks a clean year-end break. Others need money for gifts. Whatever the reason, this is the absolute hardest time to sell hats and has been for me 3 years running. And last year was awful since we were still recovering from the effects of robo + 3rd gens + halloween effects within a few months of each other. Even then it recovered.

The 2 weeks following Christmas the last two years were the BEST time to sell unusuals. Especially last year when steam wallet funds started becoming regular gifts, buyable at major retailers. There was a lot of money pumped into the economy last year right after Christmas. I remember selling about 50 buds worth of hats for pure in a week, more than any other week all year. We'll see where things go this year, but I suspect a similar, though perhaps attenuated, revival this year. Interest in unusuals is bound to support buds value.

At the end of the day, unusuals are selling for the same amount of buds now as they were when buds were 16 keys. Buds have dropped probably because unusuals have lost a ton of value. Interest in unusuals should increase substantially from Christmas money.

tl;dr as long as unusual traders use earbuds as their main currency, it won't change.

Btw. a long time ago, unusuals were priced in dollars and it was inaccurate as hell. They had to revert it.

what does my unusual have to do with anything? I'm not even selling it. Also, my post is 13 sentences long. It shouldn't be too hard to read. Also, you clearly didn't read my post -- Keys ARE NOT RISING. They are rising in refined metal value which is falling. Keys on the gray market have been stable for over a year now. They hover around $1.80 to $1.90. A stable currency to price unusuals would help maintain the value of the unusuals and stop from the value to keep falling. I want to make a bet that as time goes on, people will start switching to keys instead of buds. As for the super god tier unusuals -- you see the super god tier CS:GO knives sold in keys, so why not unusuals alike. It's a metric fuckton of keys, yes, but if that means something will go way the hell down in value, then counting out a bunch of keys really isn't that daunting. I counted out 195 keys the other day in a trade. I did 4 separate trade offers for those keys and everything went perfectly. If you have a 1000 key unusual, why not separate it into 5-10 separate trade offers of a 100 to 200 keys each, perhaps putting a crate in place of every 25 keys so that you don't lose count. There are many ways to just count out the number of items you have to make it easier, but the real frustration is when your $3,000 unusual is suddenly $2,000 because buds fluctuated so much in price. This is just a suggestion though -- I don't want to argue with anyone. 

what does my unusual have to do with anything? I'm not even selling it. Also, my post is 13 sentences long. It shouldn't be too hard to read. Also, you clearly didn't read my post -- Keys ARE NOT RISING. They are rising in refined metal value which is falling. Keys on the gray market have been stable for over a year now. They hover around $1.80 to $1.90. A stable currency to price unusuals would help maintain the value of the unusuals and stop from the value to keep falling. I want to make a bet that as time goes on, people will start switching to keys instead of buds. As for the super god tier unusuals -- you see the super god tier CS:GO knives sold in keys, so why not unusuals alike. It's a metric fuckton of keys, yes, but if that means something will go way the hell down in value, then counting out a bunch of keys really isn't that daunting. I counted out 195 keys the other day in a trade. I did 4 separate trade offers for those keys and everything went perfectly. If you have a 1000 key unusual, why not separate it into 5-10 separate trade offers of a 100 to 200 keys each, perhaps putting a crate in place of every 25 keys so that you don't lose count. There are many ways to just count out the number of items you have to make it easier, but the real frustration is when your $3,000 unusual is suddenly $2,000 because buds fluctuated so much in price. This is just a suggestion though -- I don't want to argue with anyone. 

yawn.png

the point is, people are still going to use buds for unusual trading, and that means unusuals will be priced in buds

you cant do anything about that

but your $3000 unusual is only $2000 now.

but your $3000 unusual is only $2000 now.

If buds are losing value, hats bought with buds lose value too, it's just logical.

Plus unusual are losing value also because they're getting more common, every day more get uncrated, so there's less rare and thus less valuable.

It goes both ways.  Say we start pricing in keys.  You pay 20 keys for a hat during a time when 10 keys = 1 bud.  Now let's assume that buds make it back up to 16 for argument's sake.  Now everyone will cry about how their 20 key hat is really a 2 bud hat.   

It goes both ways.  Say we start pricing in keys.  You pay 20 keys for a hat during a time when 10 keys = 1 bud.  Now let's assume that buds make it back up to 16 for argument's sake.  Now everyone will cry about how their 20 key hat is really a 2 bud hat.   

I understand that point, but my idea is that we let buds lose their value almost completely, like they're just another hat, and we have hats priced in only keys. That's probably absurd sounding and very unlikely, but if that were to happen I think the value of unusuals would eventually become more stable, unlike now, until nobody is playing tf2 anymore and hats are worthless.

oap, let me try explaining it short and sweet:

Buds are used to buy unusuals.

If everybody decides for some reason(cashing out, christmas, steam sale, whatever) that they don't want to buy buds for a high amount of keys, then the number of people looking to buy unusuals decrease. 

Therefore it's natural that an unusual will lose value because people stopped buying buds, and therefore stop buying unusuals. 

• 3 months later...

HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW????

Archived