Having reputation before being able to comment or like/dislike.

MC22

Most key suggestions have extremely overused and irrelevant posts, and most likely by people who simply do not care about actual pricing and guiding, they just want he key to stop raising in price. I'm all for it. I'd love to have keys buyable @ 2.66 ref. What those spammers (comments gorged with likes) do not understand is that a gargantuan amount of these comments bring ordinary users to downvote also, causing problems for mods and OP and etc. What I am suggesting (on key suggestions only) is that contributors must have at least a small amount of rep, say 100, before being allowed to comment/like/dislike. What this would do is a ) kill off all the spam made by people who only vote on keys (a large percentage, likely), b ) show people that voting/suggesting is actually hard work, and does not deserve spam, and lastly c ) provide an urge to suggest a price to quickly gain 100 rep.

Counterarguments:

What if suggestor has under 100 rep? How will he comment?

Well, make an exception for OP.

What about the actual people who care but just started?

100 rep is very minimal to achieve, it can be done by about 4 suggestions.

What if people complain about mods controlling key prices?

Assert that one can still vote for key suggestions. Votes do count, as you can see the legions of downvoters discouraging suggestions that make sense.

What if too much people complain about free speech?

Explain that backpack.tf is not only for people in the U.S.

I haven't seen much suggestions in the forum get passed, but whatever. Please provide feedback, whether supportive or constructive criticism.

Last note: If this works for key suggestions, at might be applied to all of them. If only there never was spam and unproven illogical text being liked all the time on them.

What if people complain about mods controlling key prices?

Assert that one can still vote for key suggestions. Votes do count, as you can see the legions of downvoters discouraging suggestions that make sense.

This would be the biggest issue, imo.

This would be the biggest issue, imo.

It would indeed. While the ability to comment would not affect manipulation, the general laymen would feel offended that they cannot dump their opinion for everyone to behold, no matter how biased it was. Well happy birthday Fearkitten.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to restrict comments. Commenting is too crucial a part of the process, and everyone should be able to voice their thoughts, whatever their rep. Take away comments and it becomes that much less a community site.

A retriction on likes/dislikes may be another story. A rep limit there may help with the problem of legitimately useful posts getting dislike bombed because it happens to be in favor of an accurate but unpopular price.

To be honest, the way to solve flagging is by making someone write a comment to explain why they flagged it. It wouldn't stop people who flag in all cases, but people who flag hundreds of posts might become frustrated.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to restrict comments. Commenting is too crucial a part of the process, and everyone should be able to voice their thoughts, whatever their rep. Take away comments and it becomes that much less a community site.

A retriction on likes/dislikes may be another story. A rep limit there may help with the problem of legitimately useful posts getting dislike bombed because it happens to be in favor of an accurate but unpopular price.

This is what happens to added proof all the time, I guess maybe disabling comments would be a secondary idea.

I say it here again, make it like Facebook, likes everywhere but no dislikes.

Disable both likes and dislikes is what I am suggesting. I don't actually have a facebook account.

Meh likes are good to bump posts that contains proof on a proofless suggestion for example. Bumping down posts because of dislikes doesn't work properly anyway and it's really necessary when the good ones are bumped up.

But yeah on key suggestions there will be many upvotes for flame posts, that's true. Hiding comments should be only possible through mods (if dislikes are disabled).

Archived