What do you guys think the latest market update will do to the economy?

Дебра

So Valve decided this would be a good idea.

674e864a88.png

This effects all Valve games with market.

Any ideas how this will effect the market? I honestly think it promotes scamming and will kill the SCM.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a terrible decision overall. I understand the thought process behind it, but this is just garbage.

The whole idea of quickselling is destroyed then as you can't react in real time to changes in market prices to profit. 

This is a major blow to the TF2 economy. 

This doesn't make sense though..

How exactly does buying from the scm and in-game store relate to scams? 

The one and only scam I see that will kill get destroyed is the trusted friend scam. But that's already being combated.

Posted · Hidden by polar, December 15, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, December 15, 2014 - No reason given

Yep I'm officially done now with Valve's bullshit. I have cashed out several times before, but this will be the last.

As I'm semi-retired from trading, I'm not in awe or anger.

What I am curious about is how will this affect key prices? I never did SCM keyflipping and I'm curious to hear your predictions.

I personally do not see how this combats scammers and frauds. People now must wait a week before trading those items, right? Seems more like this just slows down the traffic of these trades, that is not combating anything but speedy trading. New players already had to wait a week to trade their new items from in-game purchases.

As I'm semi-retired from trading, I'm not in awe or anger.

What I am curious about is how will this affect key prices? I never did SCM keyflipping and I'm curious to hear your predictions.

Keys will go up. Fast.

Remember that dota 2 update that made every rare SCMable? All rares dropped to $0,03. This is basically the opposite. 

I personally do not see how this combats scammers and frauds. People now must wait a week before trading those items, right? Seems more like this just slows down the traffic of these trades, that is not combating anything but speedy trading. New players already had to wait a week to trade their new items from in-game purchases.

It actually promotes scamming. Paypal trading for knives/skins because they don't want to wait a week to flip it. 

Could it be a way for people to retrieve items they accidentally sold/were sold by phishers? Since it's stuck in your inventory for a week, support could easily take it back from you.

Could it be a way for people to retrieve items they accidentally sold/were sold by phishers? Since it's stuck in your inventory for a week, support could easily take it back from you.

I doubt it. They can trade it just as easily.

Keys will go up. Fast.

Remember that dota 2 update that made every rare SCMable? All rares dropped to $0,03. This is basically the opposite. 

So will buds and other stuff go up too? :o

IT'S TEH END OF THE WORL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 TARDING AS WE NO IT IS DED!!!!1111!!11!!!!1

So will buds and other stuff go up too? :o

There'll likely be an increase in price before the sale (relative to what would normally happen right before a sale), and then prices will drop extra low once the sale starts.

Doubt buds will go up but keys will.

Buds may go up slightly. They're traded not as much on SCM, but they have their presence there, and it wouldn't exactly be surprising to see it go up a little before it follows its normal trend.

What I'm more interested in is how key prices will change in regards to not only this update, but the upcoming steam sale (keys generally drop around sales slightly)

Here's what I really don't understand about this:  

So a while back Valve made the change to SCM where you couldn't see the profile of the seller anymore.  In other words, you had no way of knowing if you were buying from a level 1 account with 10 hours in TF2 (scammer) or a lvl 40 with 5000 hours in game.  This to me was a very direct message to the community stating:  "We will not get involved in attempts to stop fencing.  When you're buying from the market, you're buying "blind" and as such you cannot be held responsible for whom you're buying from."  This basically gave all of us who buy unusuals on SCM a get out of jail free card.  You could take advantage of a good deal and didn't have to fear any consequences.  

But now they're openly stating (in terrible grammar) that they're taking steps to make fencing harder.  Makes no sense.  So one month you're saying you're not getting involved in this whole scamming/fencing thing (besides restoring backpacks when you can prove that you've been hacked), and in the next month you're saying you're making a major change to the market specifically aimed at combating scamming/fencing.  

I know many of you are still students, so take it from me, corporations don't make strategic decisions like this lightly.  There were hours and hours of meetings discussing how to handle scamming on SCM and the outcome was a policy of non-involvement.  Then 3 months later, total reverse of that strategic decision.   Makes no sense....

Archived