How do I stop being afraid of backpack.tf's users?

Chbzsk

I see a lot of bad suggestions here and I agree they should be shut down but people are so rude and mean about them it scares me to even try to take part in the community. Mostly because the one being shut down is very harshly dealt with while the people cussing and insulting him in the comments don't even get a warning. But then again random discussions get warnings. I don't really know who to blame but this community collectively scares me even though I wanna be a part of it. Anyone ever felt this? Or am I just over thinking it?

Also, what sort of impact do you think the trading community would have if backpack.tf shut down?

People tend to become jaded, cynical and rude because we see these terrible suggestions day after day. 

I believe this is a relevant quote: "if you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you" 

Basically, if you deal with enough illiterate, ignorant idiots, you get mad. 

This is truth. Fucking comment community is more toxic than a CSGO Comp. Chat Box.

OT: They would 

A. Rejoice (General traders and commenters)

B. Cry deeply (Geel, premium folks, etc)

C. Not care at all.

I think a good 40% of those comments are just people trying to point out errors and nothing more, no toxicity behind it. I generally throw in emoji to make it seem lighter. :)

Grimes' comment all the way.

We get so sick and tired of 'I think's or 'I believe's or 'This should be' and the trecherous 'SAVE TEH ECONIMIEE', that when we see when we want to pop their head open

In reality, we are all fun, nice and quite silly, just get to know us <3

Try it, join the forums and have chats with us, you'll see we are no better than you or anyone else <3

Man, Grimes comment is some grade a BS. Yes theres some "jaded" traders, but jesus christ there is some mean motherfuckers in the comments.

"In reality, we are all fun, nice and quite silly, just get to know us <3" Pffffffffffft.

"literally nobody gives a f*ck what you think" is one that stands out in my book.

Hell, the dude on that suggestion should have gotten a ban for rudeness on that one. But he didn't, and that pissed me the hell off.

Man, Grimes comment is some grade a BS. Yes theres some "jaded" traders, but jesus christ there is some mean motherfuckers in the comments.

"In reality, we are all fun, nice and quite silly, just get to know us <3" Pffffffffffft.

"literally nobody gives a f*ck what you think" is one that stands out in my book.

Hell, the dude on that suggestion should have gotten a ban for rudeness on that one. But he didn't, and that pissed me the hell off.

There ARE some which are warn-worthy.

That is for example.

But if you were on the forums more, you'd realise that almost no one is out for anyone's blood.

And wasn't that comment made by some random passer-by?

There ARE some which are warn-worthy.

That is for example.

But if you were on the forums more, you'd realise that almost no one is out for anyone's blood.

I have 456 posts on here. I've been around here for a bit. Hell reason I don't have like 500+ posts is cause I don't hunt the RP&S section of the forums to argue some new point for 60 posts.

Anyway, the question is WHY he wasn't warned/banned though. I've seen key suggestions have lighter but still get warned. It's inconsistent, and makes cleverpun the admins seem lazy toward new suggestors.

I have 456 posts on here. I've been around here for a bit. Hell reason I don't have like 500+ posts is cause I don't hunt the RP&S section of the forums to argue some new point for 60 posts.

Anyway, the question is WHY he wasn't warned/banned though. I've seen key suggestions have lighter but still get warned. It's inconsistent, and makes cleverpun the admins seem lazy toward new suggestors.

Some mods are suprisingly more lenient than others *shrug*

It just depends really

Some mods are suprisingly more lenient than others *shrug*

It just depends really

Well if they want to be lenient, then they need to warn themselves to the fact that comments like that make bp.tf look like garbage.tf . Honestly.

Depends on what? Admins still get to see the suggestion before they close/accept it. I understand some are on common items, but honestly this is one thing I cannot stand.

"Constant exposure to dangers breeds contempt for them"

Publius Cyrus.

So pretty much go on here enough and you'll start liking us dicks

Its like Stockholm Syndrome but with hats.

10/10

We aren't all bad people, we just probably are some of the most hated people in the TF2 community (BP.tf regulars, I mean).

Some of us are just tired of bullshit.

Ever know of someone who seems like a jerk in one place, but is completely different outside of that?

That's basically most of us in a nutshell.

It's telling that the topic about how full of toxicity and hate the forums are has devolved into toxicity and hate.

I think a good way to look at it, OP, if you're still here, is that it doesn't matter whether the forums are half trolls or half normal people.

Everyone will always have a different experience and you'll go mad trying to prove yours to be more legit than someone else.

One helpful thing to remember is that a lot of people on forums are just like you; thoughtful, intelligent, and timid. I realize this is what teachers say to students, but it's true; ask a question or make a point, because perhaps ten other people have the same question or point, and are too nervous to get it out there. Don't let the hateful minority represent the silent majority, and so on.

TLDR: What matters is what you want to see. Don't gratify hatred with a response because any point worth making can be made without shitting in someone's cheerios.

Also, while I'm aboard the advice train, don't obsess over correcting every little thing. Take it from someone who used to do that, it's about the most tedious and impossible battle there is.

---

Now to answer part two of your question, which seems to have been largely ignored. Backpack.tf is a powerful tool that almost everyone uses. It helps catch out scammers, gives people an idea of what their stuff is worth, and provides a very convenient place to trade- instead of server hopping relentlessly, for hours.

Also, it didn't always exist.

There were a number of differences back before standardized prices met TF2, but I'm only going to talk about one. Scamming was everywhere.

With no trusted source to tell newbies what their gear is worth, they may reasonably assume that every hat is equally rare. Or not realize just how special an unusual is. Always remember that anyone who tells you they hate backpack.tf, or insults you for using it, is trying to scam you.

It's telling that the topic about how full of toxicity and hate the forums are has devolved into toxicity and hate.

I think a good way to look at it, OP, if you're still here, is that it doesn't matter whether the forums are half trolls or half normal people.

Everyone will always have a different experience and you'll go mad trying to prove yours to be more legit than someone else.

One helpful thing to remember is that a lot of people on forums are just like you; thoughtful, intelligent, and timid. I realize this is what teachers say to students, but it's true; ask a question or make a point, because perhaps ten other people have the same question or point, and are too nervous to get it out there. Don't let the hateful minority represent the silent majority, and so on.

TLDR: What matters is what you want to see. Don't gratify hatred with a response because any point worth making can be made without shitting in someone's cheerios.

Also, while I'm aboard the advice train, don't obsess over correcting every little thing. Take it from someone who used to do that, it's about the most tedious and impossible battle there is.

---

Now to answer part two of your question, which seems to have been largely ignored. Backpack.tf is a powerful tool that almost everyone uses. It helps catch out scammers, gives people an idea of what their stuff is worth, and provides a very convenient place to trade- instead of server hopping relentlessly, for hours.

Also, it didn't always exist.

There were a number of differences back before standardized prices met TF2, but I'm only going to talk about one. Scamming was everywhere.

With no trusted source to tell newbies what their gear is worth, they may reasonably assume that every hat is equally rare. Or not realize just how special an unusual is. Always remember that anyone who tells you they hate backpack.tf, or insults you for using it, is trying to scam you.

who r u doh.

I'm glad to see you guys are nice outside of the comments. I think backpack.tf should try to control prices instead of lagging behind them. They should form a group of educated people who can properly control prices and make trading fun for everyone instead of lagging behind the vast majority of traders who keep bumping up prices to make profit. Kind of explains why keys have been going up exponentially. I really wouldn't mind if bp.tf took control. Feel free to explain -nicely- why you would disagree.

I'm glad to see you guys are nice outside of the comments. I think backpack.tf should try to control prices instead of lagging behind them. They should form a group of educated people who can properly control prices and make trading fun for everyone instead of lagging behind the vast majority of traders who keep bumping up prices to make profit. Kind of explains why keys have been going up exponentially. I really wouldn't mind if bp.tf took control. Feel free to explain -nicely- why you would disagree.

But backpack.tf isn't Saddam Hussein, we show prices, not dignify them :/

We won't ever take liberty of controlling anything, it would make us hated even more.

And keys rising is not a fault of sellers 'looking for profit', it's the devaluation of ref FINALLY.

But backpack.tf isn't Saddam Hussein, we show prices, not dignify them :/

We won't ever take liberty of controlling anything, it would make us hated even more.

And keys rising is not a fault of sellers 'looking for profit', it's the devaluation of ref FINALLY.

Care to elaborate? I just want there to be a stable price for these things no matter what it is haha. I really don't understand why there's been an exponential increase and I would love you if you explained it or linked me to an explanation :)

Care to elaborate? I just want there to be a stable price for these things no matter what it is haha. I really don't understand why there's been an exponential increase and I would love you if you explained it or linked me to an explanation :)

Ref is free, no one likes Ref because all you can do is craft with it. Ref had had a too high of price for 2 years, so it was due for a drop eventually.

Keys are not free, everyone likes keys as they have practical uses (Unu trading, unboxing etc). It had too low of a price for 2 years, so it was due for a rise eventually

Simply;

Ref = Supply vs demand

Keys = Supply vs DEMANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Ref is free, no one likes Ref because all you can do is craft with it. Ref had had a too high of price for 2 years, so it was due for a drop eventually.

Keys are not free, everyone likes keys as they have practical uses (Unu trading, unboxing etc). It had too low of a price for 2 years, so it was due for a rise eventually

Simply;

Ref = Supply vs demand

I completely agree and thanks for the explanation :). It's quite frustrating but it's logical and fair. If we had more people like you around, bp.tf wouldn't be hated and people wouldn't whine so much about the rise.

Simply;

Ref = Supply vs demand

how old are you

serious question here, not related to your post

Archived