[POLL] The U.S. Penny

Balcherite

Kill it or keep it?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Kill it or keep it?

• Kill (Stop production, but continue usage)
    • Keep (Keep producing pennies)

Well, you've got only two choices.

I want to get rid of it, as no one really uses them, and they cost more than twice the money they're worth to produce.

Ironically, I collect pennies and other low-denomination coins, like nickels and dimes.

EDIT: I'm going to be a bit clearer. We can do what Canada did- stop production but continue usage.

Not only will the tax rates be jacked up from 6% to 10% (For me in PA anyway), we would have to nullify every single penny in the United States. What a waste of copper. Just keep it, it's too much work to get rid of.

Not only will the tax rates be jacked up from 6% to 10% (For me in PA anyway), we would have to nullify every single penny in the United States. What a waste of copper. Just keep it, it's too much work to get rid of.

Do what Canada and (i think australia) did

Don't mint any more, but allow them to be accepted by all banks and stores a year after not being minted. They don't get handed out as change, and the number of them is out. Saved us a ton of money, here.

They won't get rid of it, just stop making more. It costs more to produce than what its worth

Yeah. Like Canada recently did in Feb 2013. It's much easier to pay for things without them too. I can also see cashier's lives easier.

Its costs 2.3 cents to make a penny and 10 cents to make a nickel. We lose so much money minting them. They need to be done away with

Kill it. No point in wasting money to make almost worthless currency. I live in Canada and it's not really a huge difference without the penny, you just round to the nearest nickel sometimes it works in your favour and sometimes it doesn't.

Also, having all those pennies as pocket change really didn't help at all, it was almost not worth going to a bank just to cash out several hundred pennies you get from change. 

Kill it. Ever since they stopped the production of pennies in Canada and started rounding it to the nearest nickel when you buy something, it's been easier.

Archived