Should I get banned for this?

August Kubizek

Yea... So on backpack.tf I got banned for a joke. Basically, my friends and I tried to get someone to download and use teamviewer (it basically a program that lets you move their mouse and stuff, but they can x out anytime, not a virus or anything) so idk, be funny? I seriously don't know what I was thinking: I found out about it and thought it was pretty cool. So my friend suggested to use it on some guy because it was funny...

Anyways, I try to ask Puddington to do it, not knowing she/he was a backpack.tf moderator, and immediately I was banned from backpack.tf for "phishing through 3rd party software", I guess she didn't know what teamviewer was... Anyways, I go for the ban appeal and a couple of days later, I get a temporary ban, and then banned again. I fully understand that I was being dumb and stupid trying to use teamviewer, but some moderators thought that this actually worked and I used teamviewer but I didn't (ask puddington) and banned me permantely again.They thought that I stole stuff but the teamviewer thing did not actaully work.... 

If we put this into a similar scenario... (this did not happen) 

Lets just say I was attempting to scam Puddington. I say like if you give me this unusual, I will gift you this game after... Once she see's this, I'm permanentely banned. So, basically they ban me for a intention to scam, and in my case, i was banned for trying to be funny. I know that it is not right and I won't do it again, but i don't think a permanent ban is necessary, maybe just a temporary ban?

I tried to respond to the issue, but no response yet, so im just asking.. Is the ban really worth it?

I'm sure they know what teamviewer is. My instincts  tell me that the mods will leave you banned for this, but I don't think it's that serious an offense, though I do think it was fucking stupid of you to do.

Edit: I didn't understand what you meant at first, now I really don't think they're going to unban you. And it's more serious than I realized.

I thought you meant that you tried to show puddington the thing, not actually asking him to download it so you could take control of his account

HEHEEH LOOK AT ME TAKING YOUR KEYS AND MAKING THIS TRADE OFFER TO MY ACCOUNT

THIS IS SO FUNNY MISTER PUDDINGTON

Abbreviated version:

This guy randomly adds a person with a 600+ buds bp. As a "joke," he asks Michael to download and log-in to teamviewer to give him control of Michael's account. I don't think anyone in the forums would find this very funny.

Also, to boot, people should know that this guy did previously scam someone out of 2 keys. He later paid him back. Just to make things a bit murkier. 

Yea... I understand. But should i really get banned for it? It didn't even work, I did not do the "crime". Plus, my intention was not to steal stuff... even if it was, I didn't do it.

If you can control someone's mouse, then you can steal items from them. That is Phishing!

I personally think you should be banned for a while. These are not good jokes, and real scammers claim the joke thing all the time!

This is my opinion, and nothing more!

But i did not do it... I know that it is wrong now and I didint do it again. Plus, when you guys say "gain control of their account"... I dont gain full control, because they can x out of the program when they want. Plus, nobody would be stupid enough to just watch me take their stuff, especailly a 600 bud person

But i did not do it... I know that it is wrong now and I didint do it again. Plus, when you guys say "gain control of their account"... I dont gain full control, because they can x out of the program when they want. Plus, nobody would be stupid enough to just watch me take their stuff, especailly a 600 bud person

Control is control, man. :s

But, I'm sure everyone knows how to press the x button, and it is impossible to take their items in like 2 seconds, before they x out and find out if I'm scamming. Regardless, this was not even my intention

But i did not do it... I know that it is wrong now and I didint do it again.

Intent to murder, I think you'll find, is a criminal offence, whether anybody was actually murdered or not.

The same principle applies here.

But, I'm sure everyone knows how to press the x button, and it is impossible to take their items in like 2 seconds, before they x out and find out if I'm scamming. Regardless, this was not even my intention

Ya done messed up kid. Wait a few months, and trade without using backpack.tf resources, get some rep, and come appeal here again, and show them you've changed, and sincerely apologize for all of the trouble, and you might have a chance.

I'm somewhat familiar with the appealing process now myself, having successfully appealed a ban on here. Mods here are lenient, but don't push them too far tonight in this thread.

But you guys don't understand that it literally takes them 1 second to figure out that im controlling the cpu, and another second to x it out. Nobody is stupid enough to watch me take their stuff without action

But you guys don't understand that it literally takes them 1 second to figure out that im controlling the cpu, and another second to x it out. Nobody is stupid enough to watch me take their stuff without action

If people are stupid enough to get scammed, they're stupid enough for this.

We understand perfectly, but I don't think you do.

If people are stupid enough to get scammed, they're stupid enough for this.

We understand perfectly, but I don't think you do.

Yes. Not only that, but he could lie in wait, until the hijacked user left the computer, and rush to do all of these things while the user was gone. It's not hard to tell by looking at someone's screen if they're at the computer or not. 

Ok guys. I understand how serious this has become... Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I can do to try to unban myself? I already used the ban appeal on bp.tf... I thought I had a good excuse to be unbanne, but after your comments, I backed down a little and see that this is so serious... So, what should I do now to unban myself? Thanks y'all.

But even so, I never actaully used teamviewer, meaning that no one actually DID it and let me have control of the computer.

Ok guys. I understand how serious this has become... Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I can do to try to unban myself? I already used the ban appeal on bp.tf... I thought I had a good excuse to be unbanne, but after your comments, I backed down a little and see that this is so serious... So, what should I do now to unban myself? Thanks y'all.

I already gave you a suggestion.

But even so, I never actaully used teamviewer, meaning that no one actually DID it and let me have control of the computer.

As before, intention is what matters.

So, Is a intention worth a permantent ban or temporary ban?

Intention to kill is worth a lot of jail time. I don't think you have a chance of getting off scott free, maybe you can work it down to a month ban or something if you're incredibly lucky and polar is having a good night.

You just tried to control the computer of a MODERATOR of the site as well as a common user. None of us want you here after that bullcrap.

> Team viewer so you can send trade offers/trade with other people

> Dont think controlling someone else's computer is "funny"

> Of all people you try target a guy with a 600 bud bp who isnt even your friend

No you deserve your ban. If steamrep wasnt so horrendous at doing it's job you would definitely be banned there too.

The "oh no it was a joke" never holds up. How many people who have the intention of scamming turn around and say it'a a joke when it doesnt go as planned? If it really is a joke play it on one of your irl friends not some random especially a well known trader with a big bp.

Archived