Unofficial Suggestion "Cooldown" Period?

Jymotion

I want to say yes, but this is the first case where the 'Valve update' exception has hit since the cooldown period rule has been put to use and I'm not as confident to say a quick change won't be needed. I believe all have by now been updated post-crate with the exception of Brotherhood of Arms, whose open suggestion seems to be too harsh a drop. For now I'm going to say that small incremental drops should wait, but if a significant change is proven as necessary, I won't close it. The exception here may need finetuning to allow for a full free-for-all period of time after an update, depending on how things go.

It's a horribly irrelevant comparison, though.  Buds are usually covered by a 1 key range with nearly all trades occuring inside it. 

I'm still not sure you got my point. If an item as stable as a buds cycles - 23 keys at midnight EST, 22.5 keys during at 3 pm EST - every single day, reliably, then other items are shifting too. In my experience trading, all items cycle in a similar manner and the margin of change is about the same. It's a lot easier to sell grenade launchers, kringles, all-fathers, etc. for max price at night and to buy them cheap in the day. Purely anecdotal, which is why I was using the buds example as a way to demonstrate my point to give you something that was more than anecdotal. Over 24 hours, there are fluctuations. Suggestion should wait for 24 hours for this reason to get a holistic view. And I believe it should be 1 week because prices are different on high-volume-weekends compared to weekdays when unsolds are much more common.

If we are going to approve an initial price for an item that is still considered "unstable", then we should be updating it when it is clearly evident that loads of sales occur below our price.  If we are not willing to update an obviously innacurate price, we should not be pricing it to begin with.

Agree with this point to some extent. I don't think new items should be priced for the first 3-4 days.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51d4c4b2ba2536cf0a000005

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51d4d4dc4bd7b8f75100000b

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51d50a69ba25367127000008

Given these, I don't think it's reasonable to reimplement the 24 hour cooldown immediately after the first accepted suggestion after an influencing update. Admittedly, I haven't looked closely enough to see if they're truly accurate, but it's definitely looking like significant changes are indeed needed that quickly. Going to try to keep an eye on these crate items, see how long it takes for them to exit freefall and reach relative stability.

Given these, I don't think it's reasonable to reimplement the 24 hour cooldown immediately after the first accepted suggestion after an influencing update.

I appreciate that you considered it.  I'd like to clarify the differences between these examples and the summer claim check example, though.  I don't see much of a difference between the impetuses that drive the changes.  i.e. A new item being introduced versus an old item being affected by a new item being introduced.  Do you agree, and would I be correct in guessing the difference is the magnitude of change?

You're correct, and I already see where you're going with this. The difference would be that when it comes to a new item, it typically doesn't get priced until it reaches a reasonable level of stability. Of course, the fact I have to say 'typically' itself means a hard rule isn't fair.

Edit: Essentially, I'm admitting defeat. A hard rule doesn't work on new and update-influenced items, I shouldn't have closed the claim ticket. I'm thinking a generally agreed period of time where the cooldown effect doesn't apply on the two is needed here. Any other thoughts on the matter?

You're correct, and I already see where you're going with this. The difference would be that when it comes to a new item, it typically doesn't get priced until it reaches a reasonable level of stability. Of course, the fact I have to say 'typically' itself means a hard rule isn't fair.

Edit: Essentially, I'm admitting defeat. A hard rule doesn't work on new and update-influenced items, I shouldn't have closed the claim ticket. I'm thinking a generally agreed period of time where the cooldown effect doesn't apply on the two is needed here. Any other thoughts on the matter?

I didn't intend for it to be a battle or anything haha.  I'm not sure.  I'm personally less concerned about possible implications of price changes than other seem to be.  By that, I mean some people see us lowering the price as manipulating/causing a fall, but I see refusing to lower the price as us manipulating/trying to thwart a natural process.  I certainly understand the arguments against my belief, though, as it can be difficult to differentiate "quicksells".

My opinion: no policy to automatically close suggestions.  If a suggestion is truly too close to a previous accepted suggestion, it shouldn't have enough proof (which is a reason to close it).  If it has a good amount of proof that the current price is wrong, it should be considered (and accepted if good enough).  

If it is borderline, as puddingkip's suggestion may have been, leave it open and allow proof to be added over time.  Then approve/close the suggestion when the proof becomes convincing or enough time passes to show the suggestion was premature.

Seems like a vague policy, but my opinion is basically that time shouldn't be taken into account at all.  I'm sure others will disagree.

I think the issue is more pricing brand new items to begin with. New items shouldn't be priced in the first 2-3 days. After that, sure they will decrease in value, but they won't go so fast down that they would need to be updated in under 24 hours. All items should have a minimum of 1 day to cool down because prices aren't the same at all times within a day. 

• 2 months later...

I think the issue is more pricing brand new items to begin with. New items shouldn't be priced in the first 2-3 days. After that, sure they will decrease in value, but they won't go so fast down that they would need to be updated in under 24 hours. All items should have a minimum of 1 day to cool down because prices aren't the same at all times within a day. 

I quite agree with this, when someone decides that it should have a price so soon after an item becomes trabable/released it is priced primarily on the original hype which then fizzles out soon (depending on the item) and it then becomes a pain to correct this over hyped up price, where a majority of the users would sell at bp price and anyone under is bought in hopes of making a profit not realizing that the price has already dropped significantly.

Archived