Opinions on Steam Profile Rep

Jymotion

On multiple occasions I've been asked to write "+rep" on traders' profiles.  I oblige, but often feel it is a waste of time.  While I appreciate the intent, I delete these comments from my profile because they look cluttered and I don't see their value.

Do any of you personally (or know of people that do) pay attention to +rep on steam profiles or base judgement off of the number of comments?  The only thing that matters to me is whether or not the trader is in goodstanding (steamrep/valve).  Just curious of other opinions.

I think +rep has no value on steam profiles. You could have a bunch of alts commenting on your profile etc. I don't think anyone should use that as any gauge of a person's reliability.

If someone posted something like "negative rep, terrible trader!" on a steam profile, couldn't the "terrible trader" just delete it? I never understood the whole rep thing on steam profiles.

If someone posted something like "negative rep, terrible trader!" on a steam profile, couldn't the "terrible trader" just delete it?

I think that's a big reason why it is popular.

d'Accord (spelling). Un-deletable forum reputation is most important (especially when someone who hates you throws a tantrum and tries to ruin your credibility by calling you fun things on it because then the evidence of his personality is preserved).

This has me wondering: Will these forums get their own reputation thread section (for we who spend more time on backpack.tf than SourceOP (which is still a good place too) :P) or will that be left separate for SourceOP?

Pointless. Rep serves no purpose outside of trades that require trust such as cash, and the steam profile is not a reliable enough place for rep to be trusted for such transactions.

I get requests for rep fairly regularly, though I don't do cash or any other faith-based transactions. As such, I always indicate what the trade roughly was while doing so (eg. 'traded metal for a ticket, quick and friendly trader'). I feel it's rude to refuse to do so if the trade indeed went smoothly, but I don't want my +rep for a regular trade to be mistaken for 'this user can be trusted outside the trading system' by those less knowledgeable about rep.

It's pointless and I usually just ignore if people give me +rep on my profile. If someone asks for it then I just give half-assed +rep on their profile.

Agreed, it's a waste of time, I only +rep on something important like paypal trading. I don't mind when people +rep on my profile, I just don't like it having to waste my time to put +rep on there profile.

Eh, I acknowledge what all of you have said about +rep being useless, but I'd say it serves a small amount of functionality. If a person has very few comments or very silly comments on their profile, I tend to assume they're an immature trader or a new trader, and tailor my language accordingly. Similarly, if there is a decent amount of rep, such as on my profile (of which I only asked for the 1st page and a half, when I was brand new to trading and needed the legitimacy), and it is specific such as "+rep, was willing to put up with my inability to launch TF2 for X amount of time", or "+rep, traded paypal for X amount of money, went first", I tend to be a lot more cautious. Steam Profile rep serves no practical purpose, but can instead tell you what kind of trader the person is. That said, I have a habit of not deleting anything off of my profile, so I'm lucky I only have 1 -rep back from when I was new, and he was very specific about what I did wrong xD

I have like 30 pages of +Rep on my profile, and never has anyone gave 2 shits....

The problem is #1, most profile rep comes from simple-non-risk trades (aka 3.66 Ref for a key)....and most of the Rep is: "+Rep, Fast trade"....<--Means jack shit.....

Also, hte people who ask for profile rep usually have only a couple ref to their name, and will never be involved in a trade where rep would matter. 

I think +rep has no value on steam profiles. You could have a bunch of alts commenting on your profile etc. I don't think anyone should use that as any gauge of a person's reliability.

x2

and most of the Rep is: "+Rep, Fast trade"....<--Means jack shit.....

That is mostly the rep comments i remove

Right now i still have a profile comment which makes more sense than just a fast +rep

• 1 month later...

If someone posted something like "negative rep, terrible trader!" on a steam profile, couldn't the "terrible trader" just delete it? I never understood the whole rep thing on steam profiles.

I hav sen someone leave the negative rep up.  I assume to represent himself honestly.

I don't ask anymore but sometimes people will leave a comment if they feel I deserve it for some special reason.  Will giv if asked.  Idk, it may mean something to someone, never know.  When I started trading it seemed more important.

Well, I never ask for steam +reps because of the reasons people already listed. However, I don't delete it off my profile when people do it without asking. 

It may not be an indicator of trust, but if you've got 30+ pages (like McCool), it could be perceived as a showing of how many smooth trades the person in question has performed. It's like another thing you can check when you're doing background checks on people. People who have a long history of legitimate trading are unlikely to be scammers.

Of course, it can not stand up on its own. It is only another thing to be considered.

Archived