Buy-side (bid) classifieds

Guardian

Note: This is copied from a suggestion thread I started on the Steam group back in December with some slight edits.  I'd like to continue the discussion on it, since I believe this feature has the potential to revolutionize the TF2 Trading world.

I really like the classifieds on backpack.tf because they can easily sort prices. This site has something no other trading site has: a dynamic way to convert items into an order. If someone wants 38 ref for a bills and another person wants 10 keys, the site will sort it out and order it accordingly.

I just wish it did it for both sides of the transaction. Right now, sellers have to wait for a buyer to stumble upon their price. There could also be another way: buyers would line up bids on an item so that sellers would know what the insta-sell price is.

As an example, keys would probably be either 3.77 ref or 3.88 ref on the buy-side (bid) and 3.88 or 4.00 ref on the sell-side (ask). Right now, we can do one but not the other. If a person wants to offer up an item for a ref, say a strange medigun, that can be put into the ranks according to the pricing system, but it would be up to the seller to actually add the person and accept it.

Lowballers would get pushed to the bottom of the sort pile, and I think we'd have a much more robust picture of what the market for an item actually looks like.  It's also worth noting that this is how real-life markets work, such as the stock market.

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, but this would need a closer look from the bidder's since the ad wouldn't automatically leave like a seller one does after he sells the item.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, I want this too. For now use the forums if you want to make offers. Thins is, classifieds was made to trade for set prices, so if you want to buy all you have to do is look for who is selling.

Yeah, I want this too. For now use the forums if you want to make offers. Thins is, classifieds was made to trade for set prices, so if you want to buy all you have to do is look for who is selling.

Yes, but just like real markets, there is a spread between the bid and ask prices. For example, I want to put a bid to buy a crate 50 for 8 keys. There are many asking for 9 keys, but if one of those sellers could check the bids and see mine, they perhaps would be willing to compromise and make the trade.

Right now, there's no way to show interest in an item, at a different price than what is posted.

In fact, if you take this one step further, it could be used as the 'proof' required to price items on the guide. You take the bid-ask spread and use it as the min-max range for prices on an item, because, it's literally the price of the item at that moment,

Archived