How to make profit from a single key?

bsfired

Keys goin up by .33 doesnt mean you made profit. 

The key is worth the same as it has in the past months. ~1.80$ via PP

Just buy something worth 2 keys and sell it. 

Start by flipping tickets, paints, tags, or mid-tier stranges.

Keep in mind though, that with so little initial capital, it will take quite some time to gain momentum.

Buy things for low price with key, resell bought thing for higher price.

Repeat until swole with gains.

It takes time. Maybe get a trustworthy buddy to help you out.

It's foolish to wait for the prices to rise/fall, when people may need pure (metal/keys/buds) fast, so they offload to you (the buyer) willingly, to get what they want fast.

Same case with people maybe not really caring they're paying a few refined above market price, they just want the item.

Economics.

You're impatient? GL trading then.

Look at my backpack history and tell me being impatient changes a thing. By that, I mean I don't want to wait 1 week to get 0.33 profit. I don't think you make only 0.33 profit in a week.

Look at my backpack history and tell me being impatient changes a thing. By that, I mean I don't want to wait 1 week to get 0.33 profit. I don't think you make only 0.33 profit in a week.

Keys going up doesnt mean you profited, you've still got the 1 same key. Keys have always been going up and ref has always been going down, keys aren't suddenly $10 or something.

Keys going up doesnt mean you profited, you've still got the 1 same key. Keys have always been going up and ref has always been going down, keys aren't suddenly $10 or something.

Well, I've never spent a single cent and never will, so I've got to trade to get what I want. If keys rise up in price lets say from 10 ref to 11 ref, I can buy 5 hats, and earn 1 ref profit. Using that 1 ref maybe I can find a seller selling hats for 1 ref and I get a hat. So instead of 5 hats, I get 6.

Well, I've never spent a single cent and never will, so I've got to trade to get what I want. If keys rise up in price lets say from 10 ref to 11 ref, I can buy 5 hats, and earn 1 ref profit. Using that 1 ref maybe I can find a seller selling hats for 1 ref and I get a hat. So instead of 5 hats, I get 6.

Okay okay woaaaaah there and listen here. I've been trading for a year, and there are some basics you gotta know.

Firstly, we don't make profit by waiting for things to rise in price. That is slow, menial and counter intuitive to making gains, since prices can actually FALL. (Supply and demand. Too many people trying to sell at a high price, those willing to buy at high price dry up fast, prices fall to a point where demand is in an equilibrium with supply.)

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/23655236

You see that trader in the above link? He's BUYING a Strange Phlog. for BELOW the market price, at 1 refined to be exact (compared to bp.tf price of 1.33 ref.)

Chances are, that he WILL be successful, because people are actually not always stingy about prices, so long as they are not too absurd.

So, someone adds/sends a trade offer, they get a refined, he gets a Strange Phlog worth more than the pure he paid. ALRIGHT.

But now is the time to resell that Phlog. Sure, we could always try selling it at backpack.tf price, BUT what we can do is SELL it at ABOVE bp.tf price.

Make another listing, state that you're selling this absolutely spiffy Strange Phlog. for 1.66 (or item overpay), and give it a little time.

Sooner or later, you've got someone interested in BUYING that Phlog because they want one. (That's demand by the way.)

So they pay the pure, and now you've got 1.66 refined in pure, as opposed to 1 refined. And this process goes on and on, and varies depends on the items and potential demand/hype. You can turn one hat into two, two into four, four into eight, and it just grows and grows as you get more purchasing power.

Okay okay woaaaaah there and listen here. I've been trading for a year, and there are some basics you gotta know.

Firstly, we don't make profit by waiting for things to rise in price. That is slow, menial and counter intuitive to making gains, since prices can actually FALL. (Supply and demand. Too many people trying to sell at a high price, those willing to buy at high price dry up fast, prices fall to a point where demand is in an equilibrium with supply.)

You see that trader in the above link? He's BUYING a Strange Phlog. for BELOW the market price, at 1 refined to be exact (compared to bp.tf price of 1.33 ref.)

Chances are, that he WILL be successful, because people are actually not always stingy about prices, so long as they are not too absurd.

So, someone adds/sends a trade offer, they get a refined, he gets a Strange Phlog worth more than the pure he paid. ALRIGHT.

But now is the time to resell that Phlog. Sure, we could always try selling it at backpack.tf price, BUT what we can do is SELL it at ABOVE bp.tf price.

Make another listing, state that you're selling this absolutely spiffy Strange Phlog. for 1.66 (or item overpay), and give it a little time.

Sooner or later, you've got someone interested in BUYING that Phlog because they want one. (That's demand by the way.)

So they pay the pure, and now you've got 1.66 refined in pure, as opposed to 1 refined. And this process goes on and on, and varies depends on the items and potential demand/hype. You can turn one hat into two, two into four, four into eight, and it just grows and grows as you get more purchasing power.

But don't you have to do that with something common/popular? Because not many people are going to search for uncommon items and not many people are going to buy them above bp.tf price.

Usually I only make profit from keys, other items like craft hats are just too hard to sell. For example, keys are 10-10.33 ref. Buy at 9.88-10, sell for 10.11-10.33 to bots. But sometimes human traders tend to buy for a higher price than bots. Back in the days I used to buy keys at 7.22-7.33 and sell them to a bot who's buying them for 7.44, slow but sure profit. 

So in "Too long of a paragraph. My eyes grew lazy." form, quickbuy and highball.

• Administrators

So in "Too long of a paragraph. My eyes grew lazy." form, quickbuy and highball.

Highball? What do you mean by highball?

But don't you have to do that with something common/popular? Because not many people are going to search for uncommon items and not many people are going to buy them above bp.tf price.

Keep your mind open for this one.

Basically, no item escapes this rule of buying low, and selling high. (Unless the demand is so high that it drives the price way up, like with a Burning TC, or absolute garbage like a crate with nothing good inside, driving price low to the point you shouldn't even bother.)

If a person wants a certain cosmetic to go with their set, they are going to search through the Outpost for that specific cosmetic, and say that yours is the first one to pop up. You happen to be selling an Anger for 3.33, okay that isn't too bad a price to get instant gratification, they pay and you get the profit.

This is why Scrapbanking works. (If it didn't, making gains would be excruciatingly slow.)

You always need to be thinking, "what's the most I can get for this item within a reasonable amount of time?"

what I was doing with single keys a while ago was buying strange dark age defenders for a key each, than reselling on the steam market for more than what it would take me to buy a key on the steam market

(ex:  buy strange dark age defender for a key, sell on steam market, get 2.60 USD after steam tax, buy key on steam market for 2.40 USD)

find an item you can do this with maybe

1 add tf2 player satan, tell him you want to crab

2 win

3 go double or nothing

4 win

Repeat steps 3 & 4 ten more times and you will have 60 buds. Should only take an hour tops. 

Archived