"Don't add me, use trade offers"

jneb900

It's quicker to add multiple people at every few seconds, I've always had at least 1 person respond immediately . Don't be stupid, it's quicker to add someone because they get a notification in game that someone has added them. The only way you can tell if someone has sent you a trade offer is by checking your inbox often. 

I personally have the Steam inventory helper extension which notifies you whenever you get a trade offer, plus bp.tf automatic.

9/10 times when people add me they don't say anything for a day, I finally say hi, they don't know why they added me or already sold their shit.

I personally have the Steam inventory helper extension which notifies you whenever you get a trade offer, plus bp.tf automatic.

9/10 times when people add me they don't say anything for a day, I finally say hi, they don't know why they added me or already sold their shit.

Yeah once in a while when I send trade offers for rare items some people respond immediately. I've never had trouble with adding people and waiting because, like I said, I add multiple people over a short period of time and at least one responds. In fact usually the first or second person I add responds quickly. I also always check if they're online

I get good deals sometimes when people add me, so I don't mind seeing what people have to say. If they are a scammer I just unfriend. I also don't mind negotiating with people since that's kinda the whole point of trading. The people who block normal public profiles because they added them are just childish. Sometimes people have to add me because the trade offer did not work(this happens to some new traders because they have never used steam on their browser before) Those people who don't accept adds because people might lowball them are still dumb because all you have to do is use the unfriend button if needed.

If there were smart people, willing to add me, trade fast for the real price in pure i would love if they would add me. Sadly when i used to do that i got atleast 15 people a day being idiots and ruined it for everyone else.

Don't get me wrong people are still idiots with trade offers, trade offers and trade requests are two different things yet they add you and say i am trading offering you.

I prefer to add people to trade because it's faster. I almost never traded with people that wants trade offers only (I also don't trade with premium users because they're probably offline). I want to get my items quickly.

However, when I had a collector's festive sapper chemistry set I used mainly trade offers, because it's kinda boring to add 200 people and ask everyone of them to get their sapper. Trade offers were easier.

So you don't have to deal with their bullshit.

examples:

pls pls pls pls

fuck u too scammer - when rejecting their offer

Lord, this sucks. I've experienced this with my Macabre Mask: however the person added me.

I'll write for people to use trade offers, but accept adds because I'm aware some people just prefer to add and discuss, and maybe ask if I have other items for sale.  

I'm also away sometimes and can't trade through mobile, thus making trade offers the faster alternative.  

And to people saying trade offers eliminates shitty offers, what the fuck are you smoking.  I get just as many item underpay offers through TO than I do through people adding.  More than not, people who add just want to discuss if I'm fine with their offer.

Everybody's been spoiled by trade offers because they don't want to put up with people and instead just profit off of stuff.  Sometimes you do get that random add and have a nice conversation.

Everybody's been spoiled by trade offers because they don't want to put up with people and instead just profit off of stuff.  Sometimes you do get that random add and have a nice conversation.

Yesterday, a guy added me for the S Pain Train I listed for 0.22 @ Classifieds, even though I have bp.tf automatic, even though it's a 2 scrap item.

Adds for such minor things piss me off a lot, I have better things to do with my time. If the person who added me has anything valuable to offer and is co-oporative, I have no problem with them.

Yesterday, a guy added me for the S Pain Train I listed for 0.22 @ Classifieds, even though I have bp.tf automatic, even though it's a 2 scrap item.

Adds for such minor things piss me off a lot, I have better things to do with my time. If the person who added me has anything valuable to offer and is co-oporative, I have no problem with them.

If you're getting pissed off at things like this, maybe it's time you take a step back from the computer.

If you're getting pissed off at things like this, maybe it's time you take a step back from the computer.

For something so small, I'd rather not spend any time besides listing it. I have better things to do. 

Personally, I prefer trade offers due to multiple reasons:

1) Many times people don't read my notes, and offer me items I don't want

2) I notice the green inbox icon more than I do the "this person has added you" notification, especially when I am in-game; a huge percentage of the time, if someone adds me while I'm in-game, I will never get to them in time

3) There are too many people who spam add people, and even if I get them the second they add me, they usually go "oh I sold/bought one already since I spam added people"

4) If people add me, I always do a bp/steam rep check before I accept their add, at which point they usually unadd me anyway since I "took too long"; I have no tolerance for impatient people

5) There have been too many times where the person who adds me is in another time zone then me, so by the time we actually are online at the same time, the person has either forgotten why they have added me, or they simply wasted my time with an offer I never wanted

6) If someone sends me a trade offer while I am offline, as soon as I get on I either accept or reject it instead of adding the person, and either they forget why they added me, or once again offer me something I never wanted

7) When I sell keys through classifieds, I get over 30 adds/trade offers from people even though I no longer have the key I am selling; at that point it is easier to reject trade offers than have to go through all the adds and ignore them all

Now mind you, if someone does add me and I see they have what I am asking for in their bp I will gladly add them back and usually the transaction goes pretty smoothly. Sames goes for if the person I want to buy something from only wants adds; I will gladly add them in that case. But in general, I just find trade offers more convenient.

For something so small, I'd rather not spend any time besides listing it. I have better things to do. 

Your very important time spent trading in a virtual game, yep.

You still shouldn't be getting pissy over someone spending around a minute or two more of your spare time to trade for an item.

If I get  an add I am very polite and I usually unfriend them after their first offer.I never negotiate or reply to offers. If I dont like your offer you are done.

If I like it its done a thanks m8.and unfriend

trade offers are even better.theres no need to accept a friend request or say hi / thanks and the rest.

trade offers is mainly the only reason why I still trade tf2 items...

Trade offers + Steam Inventory helper extension for Chrome => ultra fast trades with zero hassle. Not only that but it also means I can trade while on the mobile phone (accept trade offers).

I agree trade offers are the way to go.

As a few other people have said, its very bothersome to have some childish moron add you to offer a craft hat with 3.66 ref paint for your 5.66 ref botkiller weapon looking to make "le epic profits". Thats why i prefer trade offers, because i can just filter the bullshit. But if i add them, i have to respectfully decline and delete them which can be very difficult and time consuming to do. I must admit, ive lost my patience with a few people who cant seem to read (or are too lazy to do so), and in turn of doing so ive been marked as a scammer because thats the only way the kids could get back at me.

I do have a couple of issues with the trade offers system though.

I hate it when my ref becomes "unavailable" when i have plenty more in my bp when im trying to buy something. This is so f**king annoying. AND THE NOTIFICATION ICON STAYS THERE WHEN THIS HAPPENS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I CHECK IT.

Second issue i got is that it could be so much quicker if you could automatically accept a trade if it exactly meets your specifications that you state. I heard a program mentioned earlier which supposedly does this, which i wish i had when i was trading hats. I would have even paid for it if i knew about it.

The time it takes waiting for someone to accept is quite long sometimes and this could be avoided. this could probably be exploited with uncraftable hats or something like that, but i imagine volvo could easily fix it.

I make people send trade offers for stuff that are non-negotiable like craft hats for 1.33, pans for 0.22 ref and such. This saves me a lot of time when I have a high volume of items to sell.

For other stuff like unusuals, I prefer if people add me instead of trying to negotiate through trade offers.

But sometimes people add me for bullshit purposes, trying to negotiate on a firm price and such. :/

I get sound notifications for trade offers. I hear it than accept/decline or counter if possible at the time I get notified. 

When it comes to adds, I push them off for hours. I sometimes don't even want to bother with adds. They are either a huge waste of time or it was something that I tell them to send a trade offer for anyways, and they usually do. 

I rarely get those users that are offended by asking them to send a trade offer. 

Trade offers are quicker and they don't need any interaction with the user. Whats not to love about that . 

I sometimes wake up wishing the person had sent a trade offer, and when they do reply they either said I got it already or they are like "I FORGOT" which all this could have been avoided if they had sent a trade offer. 

I honestly don't think you should have any issues with trade offers only, because unless you're trying to offer on an unusual, or on items where offers can be negotiated.  There is no need to add the user, you can even send a trade offer with the bad item offer you want to offer. Instead you waste less of the other users time that way.

I really don't understand why people want to add users for ordinary items. I mean its a lot slower, then if you had just sent a trade offer.

I can only guess they want to TRY a bad offer. e.g to see if their black craft hat or unique ks item can get them a 2 key item. 

I personally feel that trade offers makes things much easier, especially if the trade is quite straightforward, like x price for this item. But for more important trades such as unusuals or in my case, craft #30, I find it easier to do a normal trade rather than a trade offer as there is often a discussion involved.

In essence, trade offers for straight forward trades (lower tier) and normal trades for trades that involve discussion

I usually put add/offer in my trades, unless I am selling an un-priced or 1 of 1 item.  In those cases, I have people post offers in the trade publicly.  I figure that is the only way to fully verify that you have received offers etc.  I do get why lot of folks don't even want to put up with the sheer amazingness that is offered sometimes.  I bet it gets old after time, and I am still pretty green to STEAM trading in general so for me it still is pretty entertaining.

I get exact amounts on trade offers for my paints rather than when people add me. Sometimes it's nice when people add you, I get an excited feeling when they do. Half the time they're just idiots that can't remember why they added me after 5 seconds of doing it.

For items where I don't allow negotiation I don't mind adds or trade offers but I always respond to trade offers FIRST.

For Items like unusuals where I allow offers I tend to insist on trade offers or to post on the outpost trade. People that add me tend to want to try to convince me that their unusual is worth significantly more than it really is. I will respond to adds but I tend to be Less negotiable in chat than I may be through trade offers.

I just say it because I'm tired of getting added by phishers; if I'm added within, like, 5 seconds of bumping a trade, I can be certain that it's a phisher, and thus ignore/block them.

I get sound notifications for trade offers. I hear it than accept/decline or counter if possible at the time I get notified. 

How did you set up sound notifications for trade offers? Did you run a script or something to set that? I've looked for a setting for it but haven't seen one unless it was in a recent Steam update. Would be appreciative if you gave some insight to this as I would use it a lot. 

Archived