What are reasonable expectations for background checks on SCM?

polar

Item vs SCM trades  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of background checks should be expected in ITEM trades?

• Check if person is marked on SteamRep
    • Check if person is an "obvious alt" - private, steam level, games, hours, type of items
    • Check if person has multiple SteamRep pending reports AND is banned on outpost / bp.tf / bazaar for being a scammer
  2. 2. What kind of background checks should be expected in SCM trades?

• Check if person is marked on SteamRep
    • Check if person is an "obvious alt" - private, steam level, games, hours, type of items
    • Check if person has multiple SteamRep pending reports AND is banned on outpost / bp.tf / bazaar for being a scammer
    • There should be no requirements for SCM trades

Now that buds, max heads, bills, etc are marketable as well, it really is about time that we as a community decide what we consider acceptable trading standards in item and SCM trades. Please note, I am asking not what you do personally but rather what you think is reasonable for ALL traders to do.

In my opinion, there really isn't any difference between SCM trades and trade offers other than that valve makes a lot of money off of the market trades, but there seems to be quite a bit of resistance to this. A lot of people feel that SCM should remain free game for all trades. Let me know what you think!

Ive seen a few players (some which i have gotten banned) regularly deal with marked users but tell the seller to put the item on scm to try get away with it

Checking for steamrep/banned off outpost should be a given but the main problem is checking if an unusual is scammed or not given steamrep's horrendous job and scm being a pain to check past owners.

I never do background checks because 90% of good deals are picked up within 2 minutes. With a item trade less people spot the trade and you can ask the seller to wait 1 minute in the middle of the trade so you can check. Still think people who repeatedly buy scammed unusuals from the SCM should be punished.

Also this: http://puu.sh/bMdNS/9bf938afa3.jpg

You set a buy order and a scammer ends up selling you one, you are screwed.

I never do background checks because 90% of good deals are picked up within 2 minutes. With a item trade less people spot the trade and you can ask the seller to wait 1 minute in the middle of the trade so you can check. Still think people who repeatedly buy scammed unusuals from the SCM should be punished.

Maybe if we started enforcing some rules, people will be more wary of picking up those good deals in 2 minutes.

Your second point is a good one. Realistically, we cannot enforce any sort of rules on items that have buyer trades available. Would pretty much exclusively be for unusuals. Maybe buds / max heads until they get buyer trades up too.

I haven't done a check on SCM, but I also haven't bought anything worthwhile there before.

I honestly don't know what I think. I think it's important to check for scammers, but there's going to be a lot of bad blood if people start missing deals because they had to do a Steamrep check.

So very, very true.

The SCM seems like an unruly market filled with quick judgement and scammers.

I love the SCM, but it's also a place that should be lightened up on. If Valve didn't ban users with SteamRep tags, who are we to tell people what you can and can't buy from Valve's market?

While I do believe that scammers and sharkers are horrible people, I also believe that SCM is better off without the pressure and helicopter users browsing it, trying to find anything and everything wrong with a deal that was a little too good to be true.

Maybe if we started enforcing some rules, people will be more wary of picking up those good deals in 2 minutes.

Your second point is a good one. Realistically, we cannot enforce any sort of rules on items that have buyer trades available. Would pretty much exclusively be for unusuals. Maybe buds / max heads until they get buyer trades up too.

Buds and max heads won't get buy orders, buy orders are only available on items where each item is identical (even the director's crate doesn't have buy orders because of the codes you can add to it). Max heads can be painted and even Valve know gifted buds have less value. Adding buy orders on buds would make the SCM demand for buds drop which would decrease Valve's profits.

Also the reason items are taken within 2 minutes is mostly because of bots. Most bots only go for non unusual items but making a bot that detects unusual effect would still be easy enough to do. On the market you either buy instantly or the deal is gone.

While I do believe that scammers and sharkers are horrible people, I also believe that SCM is better off without the pressure and helicopter users browsing it, trying to find anything and everything wrong with a deal that was a little too good to be true.

I used to think this (scm should be uncharted waters) but getting back into suggesting and trading recently with my net finally stable ive found an increasing amount of traders who have deal with very very obvious scammers/alts/marked users and reported a few and quite a few got away with it because it was "bought on scm".

There was a sus trader where every single marked hat he acquired was from scm and i found out he would add marked users offer to pay their b/o via scm which is no different from knowingly trading with a scammer...etc

If Valve didn't ban users with SteamRep tags, who are we to tell people what you can and can't buy from Valve's market?

I can accept a lot of rationales for why we shouldn't require checks on SCM. Several have been outlined already. However, this is one i hear a lot that I cannot accept as a reasonable reason.

We aren't banning someone from trading on valve's market. They can keep trading on SCM if they want. We are just saying that if you trade with a scammer, we don't want you in our trading community. You can keep trading on SCM if you want.

I used to think this (scm should be uncharted waters) but getting back into suggesting and trading recently with my net finally stable ive found an increasing amount of traders who have deal with very very obvious scammers/alts/marked users and reported a few and quite a few got away with it because it was "bought on scm".

There was a sus trader where every single marked hat he acquired was from scm and i found out he would add marked users offer to pay their b/o via scm which is no different from knowingly trading with a scammer...etc

As much as I'd like to stick to my, "FREE SCM" guns, I have to agree with you here. I think at least a slight check should be put into place to prevent the extremely obvious scammer alts from ridding themselves on SCM.

But the user who spoke directly with the scammers to buy them via. SCM is a bit different. That's purposeful trading, I was just trying to make a point for regular users like myself. If I find a wonderful deal while I'm browsing around sometime, I'm likely not going to risk checking super in-depth on an item I'm very interested in buying, while someone else could have run off with the profit.

For SCM

bullet_star_rated.png Check if person is an "obvious alt" - private, steam level, games, hours, type of items (7 votes [29.17%])

I see many private profiles selling australium and pro killstreak kits, I'm sure most of them are legit players who just want their privacy. They only trade on scm and no ohter trading sites.

Cases like that are one reason why I think private shouldnt matter on scm. I mean yes check if the account is banned on op/bp.tf for being a scammer alt, but if only private with no other signs then it should be legit. 

I can accept a lot of rationales for why we shouldn't require checks on SCM. Several have been outlined already. However, this is one i hear a lot that I cannot accept as a reasonable reason.

We aren't banning someone from trading on valve's market. They can keep trading on SCM if they want. We are just saying that if you trade with a scammer, we don't want you in our trading community. You can keep trading on SCM if you want.

Putting it in that light makes me seem a bit silly, and deservedly so. I wasn't picturing it as a, "SCM is free-reign, but we'll ban you from our community" standpoint.

I was thinking of it in a, "Valve created the game, and then this trading post. It shouldn't matter who uses this post, because things are flying by too fast to catch all of the details."

You're right, I can see why that is very invalid.

For SCM

bullet_star_rated.png Check if person is an "obvious alt" - private, steam level, games, hours, type of items (7 votes [29.17%])

I see many private profiles selling australium and pro killstreak kits, I'm sure most of them are legit players who just want their privacy. They only trade on scm and no ohter trading sites.

Cases like that are one reason why I think private shouldnt matter on scm. I mean yes check if the account is banned on op/bp.tf for being a scammer alt, but if only private with no other signs then it should be legit. 

I agree with this, 90% of people on SCM have private profiles and just get lucky on a crate. Most kids who unbox don't know what effect means, they throw it on SCM $0.10 below the cheapest and think they just got some free cash, not caring about the value Burning Flames adds. Same with MvM people. If I just played MvM and didn't trade I would like some privacy to prevent sharks adding me for my drops.

When a user is adding or trading and accepting/sending a trade offer they must comply with the rules/regulations of trading communities. 

The rules are set in place to keep users safe, and remove harmful users from the community. (Don't trade with alts, private users, marked scammers, banned users with pending reports, etc)

If you trade with users that steal then you're just aiding in harmful behaviour, behaviour that we don't need in the community of traders.

However, when it comes to the SCM it is a different 'community' and different method of "trading."

It is literally a store, much like the in game store or game store, where any user can buy and sell from regardless of profile status. You can't be in trouble for buying items from users with private profiles on the SCM, steam allows the right of privacy and you can't be in trouble in a trading community for buying from private users, you can't check item histories nor can you say those who want privacy shouldn't have their items bought in the steam store, the official owned store of the company that owns the rights to the game and all the items. 

Private profile users aren't allowed on trading sites because it hinders the sites functions. It doesn't hinder any steam functions and it is clear steam won't dare violate right to privacy. 

And users with private profiles/backpacks don't really have a reason for that when tryin to be part of a trading community, it is just plain shady. 

Steam does ban users from using the SCM and trading when they have been reported for scamming or hijacking so it isn't like any kind of user is allowed to sell their items. They also remove harmful users.

All I can say is that you shouldn't talk to a scammer and have them place the item on the SCM for you to buy. Your plan was to knowingly trade with a scammer, all I can say is that buying from marked scammers even on the SCM is grounds for removal from trading communities.

However, you can't say obvious alts are obvious because of the private profiles are vastly common in non active traders on steam. You can't ban users for buying ("trading") from users who are just average non trading steam users. It isn't right since they are following Steam's TOS and most users who only use SCM like to keep their privacy, even users with 9 year old accounts. 

The only rule that I believe is acceptable, and basically complies with Steam, is that you can't buy off a marked users, users with pending reports, or are banned in a trading community. 

So steamrep shouldn't affect the steam market

Again, let me re-iterate what I said to charity. No one is stopping people from trading on SCM. Just because someone is banned in our community for trading with scammers does not mean that we are banning people on SCM. We are just saying that we don't want people who trade with scammers in our community.

However, you can't say obvious alts are obvious because of the private profiles are vastly common in non active traders on steam. You can't ban users for buying ("trading") from users who are just average non trading steam users. It isn't right since they are following steam's TOS and most users who only use SCM like to keep their privacy, even users with 9 year old accounts. 

The only rule that I believe is acceptable, and basically complies with Steam, is that you can't buy off a marked users, users with pending reports, or are banned in a trading community. 

Yeah the alt thingy for scm should be less strict, still only 1 game and 0 hours in tf2 is still a no go even on the SCM. Really really obvious alts should be punished, others not.

Yeah the alt thingy for scm should be less strict, still only 1 game and 0 hours in tf2 is still a no go even on the SCM. Really really obvious alts should be punished, others not.

Yea of course, but I mean when it comes to private profiles I still call them obvious alts and they are more common on the SCM so I was mainly referring to those user accounts

But there is no way a user with 1 game and 0 hours will have all these unusuals. That is 100% suspicious and you best be avoiding that deal. 

I understand removing users from your trading community for their shady SCM practices and would agree that removing users for buying from an obvious alt and any marked/banned users is acceptable and probably should be enforced. 

But, when it comes down to buying from private profiles, there is nothing the trading communities should do about it, it isn't fair to the traders nor is it fair to non trading steam users, as they expect normal users to buy from them and now they have to fall in line with non steam affiliated communities just to get more possible buyers.

If steam allows the user to use the SCM because they have the right to keeping their privacy by all means should that be allowed. 

What I'm asking isn't strictly about background checks but something related.

The Burning Pullover I'm currently buying was bought for like $200 on SCM, right? Obviously the owner didn't know the true value of it or they wouldn't have done this.

Is it considered sharking to buy something for a price like this on SCM? Can people be punished for it?

I'd like some clarification.

I'd like some clarification.

There wouldn't be punishment for buying for cheap on market unless you added the person and lied about the value and convinced them to sell it to you cheaply on market.

Trading with scammers is not to be tolerated. Anytime a scammer launders their goods in the SCM, YOU are putting money into their pockets, period. 

Since you can clearly and easily check a person's trustability, it should be a requirement.

And for those that say 'yea, but the good deals are gone in a matter of moments"  yes....thats because 99% of them are from SCAMMERS !!!

If you should not trade with people with private profiles in a 1:1 trade, trading with one from SCM should not be any different.

WHOM YOU TRADE WITH IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!!  

The people against this statement obviously do not care about their trading practices and should be banned.  The SCM is NOT a loophole for trading. Stop treating it as such.

Archived