Definition of Quicksell

Herty

All quicksell prices (are supposed to) sell quickly, but not all quickly sold are priced to quicksell.  Let me illustrate.  

Quicksell Priced

Trader A: Creates a trade for an unusual, selling it for 0.2 buds less than the lowest price, because he needs the pure asap. 

Trader B: Notices the trade, had no intention of buying unusuals and doesn't even like the hat, but likes profit.  Buys it within a half hour.

Sold Quickly

Trader A: Creates a trade for an unusual, mid range of the market value, a totally fair price.

Trader B: Just so happens to be browsing outpost right around the same time, has been looking for that hat for weeks, and for someone not asking 2 buds/2.5 overpay for a 1.3 bud hat.  Finally finds Trader A.  Buys it within a half hour.  Maybe he paid pure, or maybe he used an unusual in the trade (better hat/worse effect or worse hat/better effect, basically sidegrading). 

Both sold quickly, but for different reasons.  If you don't have an accompanying market price, you'd assume both are quicksells.  

Except 1 trade is NOT enough proof for anything for that very reason. Thats why you need multiple trades/accepted offers/considered offers to know for sure what is a quicksell and whats not. In the second case, you would see all the other trades with buyouts at 2+ buds and no offers above 1, and it would be quite evident that 1.3 is NOT a quicksell, but rather the correct price. 

That's right, and that's why in my 2c post, I mentioned that you needed to reference a sale against other sales.  A trade that sold quickly isn't by itself a quicksell.  

All quicksell prices (are supposed to) sell quickly, but not all quickly sold are priced to quicksell.  Let me illustrate.  

Quicksell Priced

Trader A: Creates a trade for an unusual, selling it for 0.2 buds less than the lowest price, because he needs the pure asap. 

Trader B: Notices the trade, had no intention of buying unusuals and doesn't even like the hat, but likes profit.  Buys it within a half hour.

Sold Quickly

Trader A: Creates a trade for an unusual, mid range of the market value, a totally fair price.

Trader B: Just so happens to be browsing outpost right around the same time, has been looking for that hat for weeks, and for someone not asking 2 buds/2.5 overpay for a 1.3 bud hat.  Finally finds Trader A.  Buys it within a half hour.  Maybe he paid pure, or maybe he used an unusual in the trade (better hat/worse effect or worse hat/better effect, basically sidegrading). 

Both sold quickly, but for different reasons.  If you don't have an accompanying market price, you'd assume both are quicksells.  

Quicksells is not a term specific to unusual trading therefore you cannot simply dodge a point by using unusuals which have a far smaller quantity than an item such as Salvaged Crate #40, Bill's Hats or Essential Accessories.

Quicksells is not a term specific to unusual trading therefore you cannot simply dodge a point by using unusuals which have a far smaller quantity than an item such as Salvaged Crate #40, Bill's Hats or Essential Accessories.

Ok, so there is no one definition of a quicksell...

Like everything else in TF2, its a highly subjective matter dependent on multiple variables. Supply, demand, timing, etc... 

The time to sell isn't a particularly good indication for the above reasons, however, if you compare it to other sales/offers (time/price) then you can determine whether it is or is not a quicksell. 

Sorry, I didn't have the time to type out examples for every class of item.  I was just using unusuals because it's the most common place I see 'quicksells'.  

-snip-

The time to sell isn't a particularly good indication for the above reasons, however, if you compare it to other sales/offers (time/price) then you can determine whether it is or is not a quicksell.

These are just some obvious indicators of whether a trade is a quicksell. I would think that it'd be quite easy for these to be understood.

Did it sell with the first bump of it being posted: ✔

Did the sale happen below the current price on backpack.tf: ✔

Was it sold to someone who buys large quantities of an item below current price: ✔

Does the person who bought it then re-list the item at a higher value: ✔

If this trade fits one or more of these criteria, then it is more than likely it was a quicksell, and the likelihood increases with the number of criteria it matches.

That's why I didn't set time as my only variable when helping to determine whether something was a quicksell or not.

he time to sell isn't a particularly good indication for the above reasons, however, if you compare it to other sales/offers (time/price) then you can determine whether it is or is not a quicksell. 

Can't agree more. It annoys me when people dismiss everything that sells in the first 5 min as a quicksell. Depends on availability, type of item, etc. as you suggest. Again, if 100 people are selling something at a key and it sells instantly, you can't just call them all quicksells and leave that off the price.

A clear definition per each group of items (unusuals, genuines, currencies, regular items, uncraftables etc.) Would be very useful to making it easier to define these trades. Coincidence and luck plays a big part in the speed of a trade based on who is around and happens to be interested in a particluar item, as well as many factors mentioned above.

Did it sell with the first bump of it being posted: ✔

Did the sale happen below the current price on backpack.tf: âœ”

Was it sold to someone who buys large quantities of an item below current price: âœ”

Does the person who bought it then re-list the item at a higher value: âœ”

Is the item not a key ✔ (mandatory)

>Include quicksell in range

>Quicksellers lower buying price

>Item that would have previously easily gone for newly accepted lowend within a day suddenly starts taking 2 days, 3 days, a week.

>Suggestion to drop the price again

>Quicksellers lower buying price

>Rinse and repeat until an equilibrium is met which is less than likely to happen because of the fervor of suggestions that are made to items worth keys once the ball starts rolling when they experience a single price decrease. There are multiple examples of this: Genuine Merc's Pride Scarf, Strange Festive Grenade Launcher, Strange Gunslinger, Strange Kritzkrieg.

These items dropped because no one is willing to spend that amount of keys on those items due to key trade price increase. Put another way, the buying power of the key has increased. Those items could not drop if demand at high end exists.

How on Earth would a quicksell not be able to be determined by the speed at which an item sells. The whole reason someone would 'quicksell' an item is to get metal/keys/buds fast rather than wait a longer period of time to try and get more. The word quick literally refers to a relatively fast a amount of time in which something occurs. To rule out the speed at which something happens is just foolish when judging if something is a quicksell

Maximizing profit margin is not always the best way to build trade wealth. You are already investing time watching ur trades. I would rather sell many items at low margin than sell none because others beat my price.

Archived