New Trader

Rawbert

So I'm new to the TF2 trading scene and I was looking for a few general answers.

I,

A.) Don't understand the concept of a decimal point in between a number representing refined metal

B.) Am not entirely sure how to accurately price check something

C.) Am looking to sell my items for actual USD (Which I'm not entire sure is allowed). I get that you can sell items in the Steam Market, but I have no use for that as I'm not a big gamer. I was thinking more along the lines of a safe way to get money to my Paypal.

Any and all help is appreciated. I really look forward to trading with you guys :)

A)

0.11 refined = 1 scrap, because it takes 9 scrap to make 1 refined. And 9 x 0.11 = 1.

0.33 refined = 1 reclaimed

0.55 refined = 1 reclaimed, 2 scrap

0.99 refined = 1 refined

And so on...

B)

You can check it on Backpack.tf, but the price might be not accurate as it should be. Sometimes a bad suggestion gets accepted, or the price of an item could be outdated. You can check other trades (on tf2outpost, Bazaar, or other tradesites) to see what the item is getting sold for.

C)

I don't have experience with actual USD trading. It is allowed, but you gotta beware of any fees and such, and the most important thing of all: beware of scammers! You can use Steamrep Middleman, and check the steamrep of the buyer for yourself as well.

Trades for irl money mostly are for Bill's Hat, Mann Co Supply Crate Key, Earbuds, or even unusuals.

Also beware of phishing links. A link with something that looks like "steamcommunity" in it isn't safe. (e.g steamconmunity). Same goes for Steamrep.

Not all items are marketable for now.

I hope I helped you out for a bit... 

Good luck with the trading!

So I'm new to the TF2 trading scene and I was looking for a few general answers.

I,

A.) Don't understand the concept of a decimal point in between a number representing refined metal

B.) Am not entirely sure how to accurately price check something

C.) Am looking to sell my items for actual USD (Which I'm not entire sure is allowed). I get that you can sell items in the Steam Market, but I have no use for that as I'm not a big gamer. I was thinking more along the lines of a safe way to get money to my Paypal.

Any and all help is appreciated. I really look forward to trading with you guys :)

A)

9 Scrap=1 Ref

3 Rec=1 Ref

So, the metal system is broken up into 9ths/3rds. 

EX: .33 Ref=1 Reclaimed, .11 Ref=1 Scrap. 

So, 1.33 Ref would be 1 Ref+1 Rec, and 1.77 Ref would be 1 Ref+2 Rec+1 Scrap

B)

For Price checking, just look at the backpack.tf listed price, and take it with a grain of salt (i.e. it could be more or less, as its just a guide).

C)

As for paypal trading, read this: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/395-how-to-guide-to-paypal-trading/

Steam does NOT support paypal trading, and if someone does happen (i.e. you get scammed/you buy hijacked items) they will NOT help you, and will potentially trade ban/lock you if you buy hijacked (stolen) stuff. With that being said, Steam hasn't really taken a side, they don't really care if you do paypal trades or not (imho, they want it as it stimulates the economy, they just take a side against it in order to avoid dealing with Paypal-related scams).

All the advice above is perfect.

As for trading on paypal.  Two points.

1. Get a lot of experience in regular trading and get rep as an honest trader.  Research how its done from others who do it.  When you do eventually get into it, do research into each person you r going to trade with so that you can trust them.

2. You don't have anything in your pack worth selling.  You need to profit trade for another year to build a supply you can sustainably sell, depending on how good you are and how much time you put in.  There is another thread here on how to get started.  For you its best to start with low level stranges.

Thread one;

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/1585-what-is-the-best-item-business-to-get-into/

Thread two;

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/414-how-do-you-make-profit/

Archived