Sharking, good or bad?

ThatOtherChigga #Mack

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the chance to buy my phos KE for only $40, but ended up giving him a lot more.

Thats....weird.....why...not...

You can't really say it's bad for sharking, if you're weak to knowing your prices, don't trade.

Otherwise double check them, people shark on purpose.

I've accidentally sharked people and went along with it and other they've just accepted the trade right away.

7 keys in items for an Unusual Nuts and Bolts Backbiters billycock, he knew how much it was worth, but because I was offering so many hats/miscs, he accepted.

Learn your prices, simple as.

couldn't agree more

Sharking. When you lie to traders (usually newbies) about their items value to obtain it for way below market price.

Getting a good deal. No lies. You say what you will pay or other trader says what he will give for what. One trader gets an item under market price but there wasn't any lies to take advantage of a new player.

Sharking is bad, getting a good deal is good.

But fault goes to the guy who got sharked every time.

Sharking is bad.  I guess I should not be so shocked to see justification for it here.  I imagine that you are the same people who use justification statements like "she dressed that way, she was asking for it" or "its their problem for being so desperate" 

But fault goes to the guy who got sharked every time.

Considering that the sharked player doesn't even know how to find out what something is worth. 

What is the activity of the shark?  Waiting around in servers until he sees a good drop come to a player?  That doesn't sound like an opportunistic child molester at all.

Sharking is bad.  I guess I should not be so shocked to see justification for it here.  I imagine that you are the same people who use justification statements like "she dressed that way, she was asking for it" or "its their problem for being so desperate" 

I am not justifying it. But rather know the difference between sharking and not sharking. When it comes to in game items any trade goes. Theres no retail price of the items. All prices are subject to the individuals mind. So that means anything goes. S. Bottles could have been the most expensive strange but they are not. 

Sharking is when a trader wrongly (with a lie) puts a false value to items in order to take advantage of a trader.

like "she dressed that way, she was asking for it" Comparing trading to rape is a bad comparison since they are no way similar

Considering that the sharked player doesn't even know how to find out what something is worth. 

What is the activity of the shark?  Waiting around in servers until he sees a good drop come to a player?  That doesn't sound like an opportunistic child molester at all.

Players with any common sense and previous game experience would be able to tell if salvaged is rare and unusual the most common quality for rare items across many games is worth something. And they could have done a 1 sec google search

What is the activity of the shark?  Waiting around in servers until he sees a good drop come to a player?  That doesn't sound like an opportunistic child molester at all. Again that is a weak and bad comparison. 

A gray area...thoughts?

I mean, I guess it's alright if someone offers you a really good deal, but just don't intentionally do it. And I'll be damned if someone with a 10+ bud backpack has never sharked.

I never sharked.

No....you just trade and play in a server and look at poor people

Nah, Julia merely got the GE noble from gaben the gift giver

He even ticked my offer with acceptance on Outpost! :P

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11411835

I don't call it sharking because it was hyped up and valuable at the time, but as I warned him, VERY unstable so is dropping massively now. :P

Okay, at the very least, I have never intentionally sharked. :P I knew that it would probably drop quickly (all because of the small square of spinach that is Memory Leak) so wanted to sell it very quickly, but I even told my buyer about that before we traded. I even advised him to watch it closely and be ready to sell it quickly.

He even ticked my offer with acceptance on Outpost! :P

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11411835

I don't call it sharking because it was hyped up and valuable at the time, but as I warned him, VERY unstable so is dropping massively now. :P

Okay, at the very least, I have never intentionally sharked. :P I knew that it would probably drop quickly (all because of the small square of spinach that is Memory Leak) so wanted to sell it very quickly, but I even told my buyer about that before we traded. I even advised him to watch it closely and be ready to sell it quickly.

lies....lies...

• 3 weeks later...

Generally, my rule is that if you're aware there is an item economy in TF2, and you aren't retarded or 10 years old, it generally doesn't take too much common sense to google "tf2 item price checking" and find backpack.tf.  So generally, I do approve of sharking unless it's a really ridiculous amount.

I'm actually in a conundrum of sorts right now - I have someone on my friends list who is pretty new to the game, and he recently unboxed a really nice unusual.  He has no idea what it's worth, which is about 2.5 buds.  I could fairly easily shark him out of this hat for a couple keys, but I'm opposed to that kind of sharking seeing as I'd be scamming him out of a LOT of keys.  What I think I'll do if I end up sharking him, is I'll give him about 2 buds pure for the hat, so that it'll still be a good deal for me, but not a tremendous loss for him.

Generally, my rule is that if you're aware there is an item economy in TF2, and you aren't retarded or 10 years old, it generally doesn't take too much common sense to google "tf2 item price checking" and find backpack.tf.  So generally, I do approve of sharking unless it's a really ridiculous amount.

I'm actually in a conundrum of sorts right now - I have someone on my friends list who is pretty new to the game, and he recently unboxed a really nice unusual.  He has no idea what it's worth, which is about 2.5 buds.  I could fairly easily shark him out of this hat for a couple keys, but I'm opposed to that kind of sharking seeing as I'd be scamming him out of a LOT of keys.  What I think I'll do if I end up sharking him, is I'll give him about 2 buds pure for the hat, so that it'll still be a good deal for me, but not a tremendous loss for him.

Hat and effect?

Hat and effect?

Planets Slope Scopers.

To my dismay, I looked up his backpack yesterday and found he'd been scammed out of it right after he unboxed it.

Planets Slope Scopers.

To my dismay, I looked up his backpack yesterday and found he'd been scammed out of it right after he unboxed it.

WHICH IS WHY YOU SHARK HIM FIRST :D

I've never really tried to shark someone

they just shark themselves

If some guy is willing to make a huge overpay for your items, it's fine. If you are trying to shark someone yourself, then you're bad and should feel bad.

My philosophies.

Best deal I've gotten is like 5 unusuals for 25% off each.  Where do these people come from for you guise!

Best deal I've gotten is like 5 unusuals for 25% off each.  Where do these people come from for you guise!

trade.tf

• 4 months later...

If you can't be bothered to look into what an item is worth I can't be bothered to inform you of its value. That's how I see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Miami Nights Modest from a guy once for about 8 buds mixed. He was fully aware of the prices but a little new to trading. He asked to see my backpack so I linked him to this site and he took his pick from everything I had. He even added it all up the whole trade and was more than happy to take my stuff. Some people might call that sharking, but I gave him everything he wanted and again, he was fully aware of how prices worked. Some people just don't have 6 months to wait before they can get a high offer on a hat they don't particularly want.

Archived