1.33 still the minimum for craft hats without scrap.tf?

Jymotion

Scrap.tf now only offers 1.22 ref for hats.  It can no longer be used as a reason for the otherwise seemingly arbitrary minimum of 1.33 for craft hats.

I have asked this question quite a few times, but without a response from Brad or any sort of official philosophy, it is difficult to answer.  Is the 1.33 ref minimum due to the number of buyers at that amount, or because it is a philosophy of the site for them to go no lower?  I believe this 1.33 minimum pre-dates scrap.tf's hatbanking feature (please correct me if this is incorrect), so I have never fully accepted that as an absolute reason for it.  If it is a philosophy of the site that craft hats are worth 1.33 and no less, then it is horribly inconsistent with every other item on the spreadsheet, most notably keys.

So, here is my second question: Without scrap.tf guaranteeing a 1.33 ref sell, must it now be proven that there are buyers at 1.33 ref?  Is there any chance of a 1.22 suggestion passing?

Please keep the discussion related to your opinions on these questions, rather than your opinions of scrap.tf's decision.  Thank you.

update: scrap.tf is selling for 1.22 right now as well

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before scrap.tf even added the hat feature, it was a minimum that hats were priced at 1.33. There are still hat bots and hat bankers that buy for 1.33; scrap.tf is not what created this rule. 

So yes, the minimum predates scrap.tf. Before scrap.tf, it was tf2scrap.com, and back then, there was no hatbanking feature, and only scrapbanking, and the minimum was still at 1.33.

For example: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/9428339 (Hat bot.)

Scrap.tf now only offers 1.22 ref for hats.  It can no longer be used as a reason for the otherwise seemingly arbitrary minimum of 1.33 for craft hats.

I have asked this question quite a few times, but without a response from Brad or any sort of official philosophy, it is difficult to answer.  Is the 1.33 ref minimum due to the number of buyers at that amount, or because it is a philosophy of the site for them to go no lower?  I believe this 1.33 minimum pre-dates scrap.tf's hatbanking feature (please correct me if this is incorrect), so I have never fully accepted that as an absolute reason for it.  If it is a philosophy of the site that craft hats are worth 1.33 and no less, then it is horribly inconsistent with every other item on the spreadsheet, most notably keys.

So, here is my second question: Without scrap.tf guaranteeing a 1.33 ref sell, must it now be proven that there are buyers at 1.33 ref?  Is there any chance of a 1.22 suggestion passing?

Please keep the discussion related to your opinions on these questions, rather than your opinions of scrap.tf's decision.  Thank you.

Me, Woifi, and some others were actually talking about this in the IRC. (you know the one peple don't go to)

Woifi said he wouldn't be surprised with the shattering of this rule and that scrap.tf was getting a bit unstable. Woifi also said he wouldn't be surprised if suggestions at 1.22 started popping up.

However this is up to the mods.

However this is up to the mods.

I personally see no reason for craft hats to be treated differently than any other item.

I'm seeing this as more of a temporary measure than anything. It's there to both stabilize the seller/buyer ratio for the bots and to get a bit more metal in the bots so they can buy more hats.

Personally though, I think they should've instead added an express lane of sorts where a person could cut the entire queue if they would sell at a lower price.

I'm seeing this as more of a temporary measure than anything. It's there to both stabilize the seller/buyer ratio for the bots and to get a bit more metal in the bots so they can buy more hats.

Personally though, I think they should've instead added an express lane of sorts where a person could cut the entire queue if they would sell at a lower price.

Priority+

I personally see no reason for craft hats to be treated differently than any other item.

Sorry for double posting.

I think it's due to the fact some hats are worse than others, rendering some hats so low that they could be worth nothing.

rendering some hats so low that they could be worth nothing.

Except that they can always be used to craft new hats. The problem right now is that there's no new hats that've been added to the craft table so there's no big rush for ingredients,

I'm not expecting it to go back, or at least for it to stay at 1.33 for very long.  The site grew too popular as a place to dump hats and the buyers weren't there.  This discussion is prompted under the pretense that it is a permanent move.

Except that they can always be used to craft new hats. The problem right now is that there's no new hats that've been added to the craft table so there's no big rush for ingredients,

I only craft em if I have some leftovers and aren't desperate for metal.

and thus began the great crash of tf2 economy.

Just a few more months and I can fill my backpack with 100s of unusuals for 1000% less than they are worth now.  ^_^

it's because of the new crappy robo hats, everyone's trying to dump them

look at scrap.tfs hats, its full with those new robo hats, im sure this will go away when the robo hats become craftable everyone will want hats to craft so they can get a low craft # item and make profit.

so Geel's gonna be the one to break the unwritten rule that craft hats be left priced at 1.33 refined. I expect to wake up to a lot of controversy tomorrow.

hats bot can buy: 67

hats it could buy yesterday when I had 5 hats to sell: 0

how many people are actually trying to sell them at 1.33 and get that profit

Heh, looking at what's left now, I'd say the Tin Topi and the Timeless Topper are prime candidates for the first 1.22 suggestions.

Given the speed at which they were sold out, I think it's going to be a case by case basis.

The amount of buyers for 1.33 is actually still very high; bots may get cleaned out fast, but when I couldn't sell to any bots I posted my craft hats on outpost and they sold plenty fast.

There is no true minimum--craft hats used to be a ref each, after all--but I think that this doesn't change anything.

Without any concrete proof there is no need to go change every craft hat to 1.22-1.33. 1.22 is such a quicksell it still falls under our current policies about excluding quicksells.

Suggestions for Craft Hats and Bill's get an instant downvote by the people, anyway, also something interesting is that trade.tf (not sure if it counts yet or not) shows that indeed some craft hats go for less than 1.33 (yes it counts item transactions too). But now by scrap.tf decreasing to 1.22 and alot of buyers having success buying at 1.22 actually can say something and change the price of the crafties.

Archived