Overpay

Langweenee

Is it really that bad to ask for overpay? Some have gone as far as to swear at me in caps if i ask for them to overpay if they are paying in items.

For instance:

Pink Bill's Hat selling for 6 Keys, someone comes to pay in items, and I ask for 7 Keys overpay. Is 7 keys overkill, or are some just angry about paying extra?

Is it really that bad to ask for overpay? Some have gone as far as to swear at me in caps if i ask for them to overpay if they are paying in items.

For instance:

Pink Bill's Hat selling for 6 Keys, someone comes to pay in items, and I ask for 7 Keys overpay. Is 7 keys overkill, or are some just angry about paying extra?

They're just cheap bastards. I just rek those people, block them and move on.

Agreed, not only is it fine, it is to be expected. Im selling MY stuff.....if you give me items in return, then I have to sell mine AND yours. Overpay if not pure. Otherwise, move along.

It's not bad at all to ask for item overpay.  When someone is paying you in items instead of currency, they're basically giving you a homework assignment.  They're making you do the work that they'd normally have to do.  They get to walk away with something that they wanted while you're now stuck with items that you never specifically asked for.  To justify the extra time you now need to put in to turn those items into the currency that you were actually wanting in the first place, it has to be an overpay. 

The only circumstance where you'd not want to insist on an item overpay is when the items they are giving you are much easier to sell than whatever it is that you're currently trying to get rid of, and you can't foresee that you'll be able to get rid of it any time soon unless you take those items for it.

It's not bad at all to ask for item overpay.  When someone is paying you in items instead of currency, they're basically giving you a homework assignment.  They're making you do the work that they'd normally have to do.  They get to walk away with something that they wanted while you're now stuck with items that you never specifically asked for.  To justify the extra time you now need to put in to turn those items into the currency that you were actually wanting in the first place, it has to be an overpay. 

The only circumstance where you'd not want to insist on an item overpay is when the items they are giving you are much easier to sell than whatever it is that you're currently trying to get rid of, and you can't foresee that you'll be able to get rid of it any time soon unless you take those items for it.

Oh man, gotta copy and paste this every time someone asks me why the fuck item overpay is necessary.

Thank you for such a detailed explanation.

Oh man, gotta copy and paste this every time someone asks me why the fuck item overpay is necessary.

Thank you for such a detailed explanation.

Are you kidding, if a lot of people can't read ONE LINE of trade notes, do you think they'll read this?

Are you kidding, if a lot of people can't read ONE LINE of trade notes, do you think they'll read this?

Yeah they're not going to read it, most likely.  Better to waste as little time as possible on somebody who's willing to sit there and argue with you over something as trivial as item overpay.

I'd suggest simplifying it as much as possible.  Just say "Unless you overpay, there's no reason for me to take it.  I'd just have to sell your crap instead of selling what I already have."

If they can't understand that, they're either stupid or being deliberately obtuse.

The next time someone gets mad, I'll send them to this page

I just tried this, and they removed me after they read it. I really don't see why this can be hard for someone to wrap their heads around.

I'll throw it right in their face just to mess with them, then. Will be fun.

You shouldn't have to ask for overpay, it should be implied.  Here's an example to demonstrate why:

You have a hat, let's say it's a Peace Modest, currently going for 3.5 on BP.tf.  

Trader X decides they really want a Peace Modest, so they offer on your trade.  They offer a searing phantom, also valued at 3.5. 

Let's assume that both the phantom and the modest get the same amount of offers on average.  If you did this trade, you're no better off.  Trader X on the other hand got the hat he really wanted, and is therefore better off.  You on the other hand made no profit and didn't get a hat you really wanted. 

This is why Player X needs to make this trade worth your while.  Why should you give him an item he really wants and all you get is another item that you just have to sell again for the same price?  No reason at all for you to do this trade, unless he sweetens the deal a bit, i.e. applies overpay.   Let's say overpay is usually taken as +10% and 3.5 buds = 63 Keys (buds @ 18 keys).  Thus, he should add a painted bills to the trade to make it worthwhile for you. 

Archived