In your opinion, what is the most representative way of calculating paint value?

Brad Pitt

In your opinion, what is the most representative way of calculating paint value?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. % of paint price applied to painted items

• 100%
    • 85% (Current)
    • 75%
    • 50%
  2. 2. Maximum item value after paint bonus applied

• 2x value (1.33 = 2.66 maximum) (Current)
    • 3x value (1.33 = 4 ref maximum)
    • No limit

What do you think should be the best way to calculated paint bonus on painted items? (Obviously this does not apply to items that are not supposed to be painted like the Cow Mangler)

Fear, its kinda a common idea (ask around and in general you'll get the same answer)...

50% of the paints value...

And it doesn't really make sense to put a limit on it... 

i.e., Hallmark/Tyrloean (Both god-tier hats, both easy to get 50% of paint value for, but with the limit you're restricting the value to 3.33 ref, which just isn't even close to being realistic) [unless you happen to find someone who just wants to get rid of it and doesnt want to deal with painted items].

Yeah, idk maybe 50% would be better. The limit would really just come into play for some items - eg no-one will pay 2 keys for a white UC Batter's.

@fear, thw number of hats that need a cap is FAR less than the ones that dont. The only ones that really need a cap are hats that NOONE wants. (so the crappiest of crap craft hats).

Yeah, instead of making the price be at the most 2x the hat's value, just make it so that the value can get to a max of 50% of the paint value if the hat is worth less than it.

What do you think should be the best way to calculated paint bonus on painted items? (Obviously this does not apply to items that are not supposed to be painted like the Cow Mangler)

NO! Cow Mangler painted is 1 scrap max based on x2 rule!

A lot of colors add very little if any value to a hat. I'm looking at you, Dark Salmon Injustice. Maybe have the percentage scale with the value of the paint i.e. 33% for a paint worth 1 reclaimed up to 67% for a paint worth 3 keys.

So a color like Dark Salmon Injustice would add 1-2 scraps to the value, while a color like An Extraordinary Abundance of Tinge would add 1.5-2 keys.

I'm not sure about the hat value multiplier. I think the current multiplier is fine.

50%, no limit and no exceptions. Some paints are pretty much worthless and some (black/white/ts..) may be traded for a little more than 50%. But the bonus prices do not reflect actual trade value anyway, so 50% is a good compromise.

If it was me, I'd get rid of all bonus prices, especially for collector levels. But oh no, my BP value, lol.

50%, no limit and no exceptions. Some paints are pretty much worthless and some (black/white/ts..) may be traded for a little more than 50%. But the bonus prices do not reflect actual trade value anyway, so 50% is a good compromise.

If it was me, I'd get rid of all bonus prices, especially for collector levels. But oh no, my BP value, lol.

TS tends to be treated for 100%.

For the most part 50% is pretty accurate, and there is no way to have EVERY hat have the perfect price... unless you want to sit and go through each and every hat and see what they each sell for with certain paints, then you just need to find the number which is most accurate. (which from my experience is roughly 50%, 30% for crap paints, and maybe 60% for black/white) 

A better way to do it, might be to add 50% of the top value of the paint rather than the average.... and 30% for crappy (<1 Ref) paints. 

I got 90%* of my black painted hat collection going off the +50% mark. I did less on unwanted hats (~%25 would be more accurate),  more when finishing off the last handful of viable pre-painted hats.

Unwanted hats would be difficult to define in an automated sense. There's a good deal of hats listed at 1.33 that are still wanted enough that good paint will see sufficient demand to maintain the 50% extra price. Unwanted hats tend to be the likes of Madame Dixie, Ol' Geezer, Bombing Run... Ones that are craft hats solely due to quality rather than numbers, basically. Though certain ones I ended up paying more just because finding someone crazy enough to paint it black was an opportunity I couldn't let slip past. I don't know how many insane paint collectors there are out there though.

All in all? 50%'s the sweet spot for expensive paints, typicaly gold and up. Maybe including a few more now, certain paints that used to be 1-2 reclaimed that are now 1-2 refined- I don't have any recent experience with them. Paints 1 refined or less always seemed to be traded hands at no extra cost, though I'll freely admit to never actually trying to sell them for extra based on the paint, I base that more on the sheer number I get duirng regular hat purchases for 'free'.

I don't think there'd be a reliable way to alter the % paint extra based off hat quality or to otherwise say which ones could use the cap on max limit. So I'd say +50%, no maximum limit. A special case made for the Bill's, which has turned pre-paint into a currency in and of itself- TS and equivalent adding 1 key value, white/black adding 2 key value. I would agree with <1 ref paints getting less of a percentage though- they're slathered on everything without thought and very largely unwanted in hat purchases. I'd say even 30% bonus is being generous on them.

*Warning: A made up number

• 1 month later...

So any news about this? Any decision made until yet?

Edit:

bump

lol again^^

Yeah, instead of making the price be at the most 2x the hat's value, just make it so that the value can get to a max of 50% of the paint value if the hat is worth less than it.

This

This

Not worth the time to code, plus a flat 50% would cover things the best. Getting much more than 1 key for black/white paint is quite hard, and even 1 key can be a bit challenging. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unless if a hat has black/white paint, is wanted, and the hat&paint combo is rare..it's hard to even get 50% on the combo..so 50% is quite fair.

Archived