Question about "1.33 minimum" rule for craft hats

ivor

Recently, I posted a price suggestion (http://backpack.tf/vote/id/519bdbcaba2536365900001d) for the Bolgan Family Crest, a craftable misc item.  Seeing as the item wasn't selling much at all, and there were a few sales at 1.22, I posted the price range as 1.22-1.33.  It was immediately met with much criticism, on the basis that craft hats should not drop below 1.33.  Most of the comments I read were something along the lines of "downvotes, craft hats can't go below 1.33".

Anyways, all craft hats are 1.33 Refined, regardless of how crappy it is. This one is no different

No. It's a craft misc/hat. Downvote

What I'm curious about is that unofficial 'rule' itself.  In no place on the site does it state that craft hats must have a minimum price of 1.33 (and if I'm mistaken about this, please don't hesitate to point it out).  I asked some people in the comments why they thought craft hats shouldn't go below that price, and I got some varied answers, mainly stating that since scrap.TF bought all craft hats at 1.33, that the price shouldn't go under that.

I'm sorry but of go to scrap.tf, every craft hat is bough for 1.33. This is invalid.

There are bots that buy hats for 1.33 24/7. There's no need for any craft hat to fall below 1.33.

I countered with the following statements:

• Since 1.33, the price at which scrap.TF buys craft hats for, is included in my price range, so scrap.TF shouldn't be used as counterproof, as I'm effectively including their buy price in my range.
  • Aside from scrap.TF, the majority of trades occur at 1.22 ref.  (2 trades at 1.22 and one possible trade at 1.33).

What happened afterwards, I found strange; no one seemed to be able to give me a straight answer as to why it shouldn't drop below 1.33.  Some people said that "1.22 is considered quicksell for a craft hat" but since the majority of trades occur at 1.22 for this hat, shouldn't it be included in the price?

Anyway, I'm wondering if a mod could tell me if there really is a rule stating that craft hats can't go under 1.33, and if so, under what basis.  Thanks in advance.

Because 1.22 is a buyers price. And there's tons of of buyers at a higher price of 1.33

1.22 shouldn't be included

There are mounds and mounds of people's trades buying craft hats for 1.22 refined simply because they know that it is relatively easy profit to sell a craft hat for 1.33 minimum and most often a scrap to a reclaimed more. Realize backpack.tf records average value as well: http://trade.tf/price/704/6

Because 1.22 is a buyers price. And there's tons of of buyers at a higher price of 1.33

1.22 shouldn't be included

There are mounds and mounds of people's trades buying craft hats for 1.22 refined simply because they know that it is relatively easy profit to sell a craft hat for 1.33 minimum and most often a scrap to a reclaimed more. Realize backpack.tf records average value as well:http://trade.tf/price/704/6

Thank you, but these are both pretty much reiterations of what people were commenting on my suggestion.  Of course, there'll always be a huge amount of people buying crafthats for 1.22 so that they can sell them for 1.33, but with this craft hat, there's a discrepancy: there's a larger amount of people SELLING for 1.22!  There are more people selling the Bolgan Family Crest for 1.22 then there are people selling it for 1.33!  The reason for this is simply because it's an old, forgotten misc that no one is buying.

It is so trivial to get 1.33 for any craftable item that anyone who sells lower must be desperate, uninformed, or both.

It is so trivial to get 1.33 for any craftable item that anyone who sells lower must be desperate, uninformed, or both.

Especially when you factor in sites like scrap.tf which will buy any craftable hat for 1.33

1.33 has jest been the un-written price for craft hats ever since the beginning of the mann-conomy.

Actually when I started trading they were a ref each. People trying to sell them for 1.33 got laughed at. Highballers sold them for 1.11

Actually when I started trading they were a ref each. People trying to sell them for 1.33 got laughed at. Highballers sold them for 1.11

Yeah, after the fact I remembered those days. Back then ref was $1 too

Which lends to the question I've tried to get the answer to.  Do we document what traders trade at or what traders should trade at.

Which lends to the question I've tried to get the answer to.  Do we document what traders trade at or what traders should trade at.

Funny how many hats attempt to sell at 1.33, no one buys, ends up in scrap.tf

I think in this particular case it's obvious that the latter trumps the former, considering how the overwhelming majority of traders count craft hats as 1.33

I think in this particular case it's obvious that the latter trumps the former, considering how the overwhelming majority of traders count craft hats as 1.33

In this instance, perhaps.  I'm curious for the whole.  I brought it up during the weird Fez situation and I think it's important to understand the site philosophy.

In this instance, perhaps.  I'm curious for the whole.  I brought it up during the weird Fez situation and I think it's important to understand the site philosophy.

Unofficial site policy is to procrastinate on official site policy until forced otherwise.

, considering how the overwhelming majority of traders count craft hats as 1.33

Yeah, but what are we basing this on?  Scrap.tf buys at 1.33, but I'm fairly sure scrap.tf can't be used alone as proof, and 2 out of 3 real (non-bot) sellers are selling at 1.22.  Like I said earlier, this one seems to be an exception.

If I can provide enough proof of a specific hat being sold at 1.22, shouldn't that be enough to warrant a change?

My point exactly.  I EVEN included 1.33, for those people resorting to scrap.tf.  Still apparently not good enough.

Many people pay 1.33 ref for any craft hat and there is even a bot who pays 1.33 ref each.

Its like saying 1 ref is worth 2 rec. Its just stupid to make it lower then 1.33 ref

And your proof wasnt that great in that suggestion.

IMO "pays 1.33 for any craft hat" isn't enough proof for one specific hat, if I can gather enough people who also "pay 1.22 for any craft hat" and that isn't enough proof. 

Many people pay 1.33 ref for any craft hat and there is even a bot who pays 1.33 ref each.

Its like saying 1 ref is worth 2 rec. Its just stupid to make it lower then 1.33 ref

Again, reiteration of every comment posted on my suggestion.  "Many people pay 1.33 ref for any craft hat" isn't suitable counterproof unless you have proof of this happening, whereas I have proof of trades happening at 1.22.

And your proof wasnt that great in that suggestion.

If you look on the market, I think you'll find that there are a grand total of 3 sales out there.  2 of which were at 1.22.  It's not exactly a popular item.

Yeah, but what are we basing this on?  Scrap.tf buys at 1.33, but I'm fairly sure scrap.tf can't be used alone as proof, and 2 out of 3 real (non-bot) sellers are selling at 1.22.  Like I said earlier, this one seems to be an exception.

Ur missing the point.  It doesn't matter what human traders are doing.  A machine will buy craft hats at 1.33 regardless of how much or little they are desired.  It will take ur Team Captain or Last Breath or Luchadore all at 1.33.  If the market pays more than it does.

Here's a different point of view.  The craft hat and 1.33 ref are interchangeable.  I have accepted them as currency because they are. If it does sell and I  want metal I don't lower the price (quicksell) I just go to scrap.tf.

Further, there are so many craft hat exchanges at 1.33 ref that it offsets any exchange at another price.  Lets say there are 1000 craft hat exchanges in an hr. Like 980 will be at 1.33.  By volume, the rest don't matter.

Archived