Dota2.backpack.tf and d0

The Radiated Banana

Should d0 have been made a mod  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should he?

• I think he shouldve been a mod for both backpack.tf and dota2.backpack.tf
    • I think he should not become a mod for either of the websites
    • I think he should have become a mod for dota2.backpack.tf but not backpack.tf
    • I think he should have become a mod for backpack.tf but not dota2.backpack.tf

After noticing that d0's mod application got closed today, I was extremely alarmed.

I'm going to discuss 2 things. 1, my opinion on his mod app. 2, the state of dota2.backpack.tf.

Part 1: His mod app

I think he should have been accepted as a mod for dota 2, but not for tf2.

Let me start with my story.

A few months ago, when I first started suggesting and voting in backpack.tf and was a 

complete noob. I met d0 and decided to counter him as a white belt. I honestly thought he was a complete dick, and he was my least favourite regular suggestor. After that, when I saw his mod application, I was completely against it, I really didnt want him to be a mod.

Then he started to change, he started helping the community, not only by suggesting. He 

looked over 60 pages of suggestions, made a PSA, thought about the rules, made unusuals pricing events(which helped a whole lot) and helped each and everyone who was inexperienced.

d0 has really change his character over the past months, and I honestly think he should have been

accepted as a mod for the dota site. Sure, you can say he is a great suggester, but right now, it looks like thats for backpack.tf not dota2.backpack.tf. Right now the dota site has many suggesters, but only 1 mod, site would be a great deal better if the mod team grew, and who better for the job than d0. If he was accepted as a dota mod, he still can continue suggesting on the tf2 site, which is the website thats needs the suggesters.

Part 2:Dota2.backpack.tf

The site is not off to a great start, its not terrible, but not great. It is heavily understaffed with only 1

mod, there is so much work to be done on evaluating suggestions. If i recall correctly, I even remember seeing Brad himself step in to accept a few suggestions once, which I have never seen him to for tf2.

Also, if 99% of the suggestions being made are right now are based off the steam market price, why not run a program to find the prices for each item then divide it by the cost of a rare, to set to initial price.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t know guys. The site is new, but is in need of lots of help. Just saying, d0 will not apply again and I don’t see anyone that fits the job description better than him.

Please note, I’m not saying that Brad’s judgement is wrong, he might have other unstated reasons. I’m just saying that I really thought d0 was going to be accepted, considering how well he does right now with everything, and the situation of dota2.backpack.tf. Also, isn’t the amount of suggestions accepted and accuracy part of the deal to becoming a mod? What if he did those suggestions so his mod application will look better. I don’t know about you, but if that happened to me, I would be extremely discouraged and will stop doing many things for the site.

P.S. Pardon my bad grammar/spelling/arguements. I’m just 14, what the duck do i know

No, he is better as a suggester. 

For tf2, for dota 2, not really, enough suggestions are spammed and dota 2 is understaffed.

And he can still suggest for the tf2 site, but moderate the dota site.

For tf2, for dota 2, not really, enough suggestions are spammed and dota 2 is understaffed.

And he can still suggest for the tf2 site, but moderate the dota site.

So what if there is a backlog of suggestions for Dota, people can just check the scm anyway. 

Part 2:Dota2.backpack.tf

The site is not off to a great start, its not terrible, but not great. It is heavily understaffed with only 1

mod, there is so much work to be done on evaluating suggestions. If i recall correctly, I even remember seeing Brad himself step in to accept a few suggestions once, which I have never seen him to for tf2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note, I’m not saying that Brad’s judgement is wrong, he might have other unstated reasons. I’m just saying that I really thought d0 was going to be accepted, considering how well he does right now with everything, and the situation of dota2.backpack.tf. Also, isn’t the amount of suggestions accepted and accuracy part of the deal to becoming a mod? What if he did those suggestions so his mod application will look better. I don’t know about you, but if that happened to me, I would be extremely discouraged and will stop doing many things for the site.

I believe the main "issue" with d0 was that although he has a high accuracy and suggests a lot there was a lot of times both in the past and recently where he lacked professionalism and seemed immature which is also why a lot of promising suggesters in the past had been rejected.

In my honest opinion, I believe d0 submitted his mod application way too soon, he started off repwhoring every suggestion and then applied for mod when his contribute rank was high and was rejected as there wasnt much evidence of his ability to become a good mod. He then started doing more high tier unusual suggestions and shortly after applied again without much time for people to re-evaluate his ability. He was always a good suggester but never really had the professional front of a mod. I remember when I started suggesting more serious things and started noticing polar, he still dealt with things in a serious manner even when he wasnt a mod (tho he talks differently in chat ;DDDD)

Best example i can give is long, the guy which held the #1 spot for ages before anyone could even catch up to him (he was gone for months and still retained #1), he was a beast suggester but lacked the professionalism :S

On a side note when backpack.tf first started off there were only brad and then puddington for a while.

I believe the main "issue" with d0 was that although he has a high accuracy and suggests a lot there was a lot of times both in the past and recently where he lacked professionalism and seemed immature which is also why a lot of promising suggesters in the past had been rejected.

In my honest opinion, I believe d0 submitted his mod application way too soon, he started off repwhoring every suggestion and then applied for mod when his contribute rank was high and was rejected as there wasnt much evidence of his ability to become a good mod. He then started doing more high tier unusual suggestions and shortly after applied again without much time for people to re-evaluate his ability. He was always a good suggester but never really had the professional front of a mod. I remember when I started suggesting more serious things and started noticing polar, he still dealt with things in a serious manner even when he wasnt a mod (tho he talks differently in chat ;DDDD)

On a side note when backpack.tf first started off there were only brad and then puddington for a while

"In the past", from what ive seen, he has changed, a lot

Its been 6 months

But backpack.tf didnt start as big as dota2.backpack.tf did. Plus, 2 is better than 1.

"In the past", from what ive seen, he has changed, a lot

But backpack.tf didnt start as big as dota2.backpack.tf did. Plus, 2 is better than 1.

Just because the more the better doesnt mean the issues with d0 isnt there... and isnt there the other dota2 mod? (I believe bucket chief expressed a lot of interest in dota2 as well when he [re]applied for dota2)

I still stand by what I said, if anything the mod application for dota2 shouldnt leave room for any leniency, dota is more popular than tf2 by far making the actions of the mods that much more important without room for any mistakes.

Just because the more the better doesnt mean the issues with d0 isnt there... and isnt there the other dota2 mod? (I believe bucket expressed a lot of interest in dota2 as well when he [re]applied for dota2)

I still stand by what I said, if anything the mod application for dota2 shouldnt leave room for any leniency, dota is more popular than tf2 by far making the actions of the mods that much more important without room for any mistakes.

That other Dota 2 mod aint doing shizz.

That other Dota 2 mod aint doing shizz.

He's doing as much work as any other mod is. It just doesnt seem like much cuz there are so many suggestions

Why does Dota 2 even need a "backpack.d2" site? Isn't SCM enough lol? 

Edit: Why does tf2 even need a "backpack.tf2" site? Isn't trade.tf enough lol? 

Why does Dota 2 even need a "backpack.d2" site? Isn't SCM enough lol? 

Edit: Why does tf2 even need a "backpack.tf2" site? Isn't trade.tf enough lol? 

Both are better

• Administrators

d0 is one of those people who excels at an specific area/subjects, or at a few specific area/subjects but never can get his/her application through/get promoted.   :ph34r:

To address some points. Firstly, there cannot be a script to base everything off the scm because many people just look at the going price on the market, the way you are supposed to do it is to look at the sales graph on the market and look at what it has been selling at and price it based off that. Sometimes it needs a range, sometimes it doesn't and you need a human to calculate that.

Bucket wasn't the one who wanted to do Dota, it was Chief and he closed his app because he didnt feel he had enough time to commit.

The reason why we need a dota 2 side to backpack.tf is because while cheap stuff sells on the scm, there are many higher items such as dragonclaw hooks, arcanas and timebreakers that dont sell often on the market and its better to have an accurate price guide.

Also, to my knowledge, the other dota mod has yet to accept a single suggestion. It has just been Teeird and Brad accepting suggestions.

As for d0, I too believed he would make a great mod but Brad believes he is much more valuable as a suggestor. I was all for d0 becoming a dota 2 mod but the fact that he has now gone and said to not bother him with questions about suggestions, I have to ask if it was all for the sake of being a mod.

Appreciate the feedback, I have been toying the idea of mixing both SCM and user generated prices which should make things a lot smoother but in reality 1 mod is not enough. We had a plan to have more mods at launch but some vanished. We definitely need more mods but we are very picky when it comes to adding staff.

Would it be possible to have "moderators" with only the ability to accept prices and nothing else? It could be one way to get around this problem of unprofessional yet good suggesters. Or does the ability to accept prices need professionalism by itself?

Would it be possible to have "moderators" with only the ability to accept prices and nothing else? It could be one way to get around this problem of unprofessional yet good suggesters. Or does the ability to accept prices need professionalism by itself?

It needs professionalism itself. An unprofessional moderator could greatly impact the quality of the site by accepting and rejecting suggestions on  whim, hence why Brad and the team are very careful about who they pick.

How did this thread get unlocked?

Anyway, not in major need right now because Kaushu is a temporary <2rr accept mod for Dota2. But in the future, yes - a lot of work is needed here and I'm unsure how much will be done. It's been a while since launch and still no rules or guides-- and I was mainly focusing on that, believe rules/guides & other important stuff for the community is more important than accept a few suggestions with basic knowledge of SCM prices.

But I got my motivation reduced with the response from the mod/admin team, so taking a small step back. I've been helping a few users still tho (guess I can't stop being a helper to my friends :P). I don't feel I have the motivation to work on those atm, it'll be a lot easier if I were in the team and could actually have easier access to work with all of them instead of making some PSA's and make some "I guess" advice to users that contact me.

Believe I was a little to harsh with me pointing out all the mistakes on the dota2 side, rather than appreciate the time and awesome feature they added. It's so similar to the TF2 one and very easy for the community to learn, but I never said anything about that and was a little harsh and pressuared Brad instead of being cooperative and show appreciation of the launch. 

I was actually thinking of making a guide and some basic guidance for new suggestors, but when Brad recruited Kaushu as a mod. I decided I'm gonna take a break for a while, felt kinda disrespectful with Kaushu's 0 experiance with Dota2. Even tho he is doing pretty much perfect from what I've seen it's still kinda weird when I put so much time, energy and played/traded a loooot in Dota2 and get instantly declined :P I like Kaushu, and he enjoy talking to me, so I have nothing against him + it works better now so not the wrong decision, but still felt kinda weird when I was litterally putting 100% of my time helping the site and was available.

I'm still and would LOVE to help on the dota2(and TF2) site as a moderator, but I'm currently not gonna make guides/rules if I don't have the opportunity to join the team. So once again, I'd like to apologize if I missbehaved or said anything that Brad might have made him upset. I only wanna improve the community, all I wanna do. But I felt if I'm not fit for the mod team, perhaps I'm not as useful as making guides/rules either - maybe I'm just sad and being a little crybaby. But I'm making suggestions all the time still :-) Mod or not, Brad decide.

Archived