Regarding the Welfare of Backpack.tf: ☣Long218☢

Jymotion

No, I didn't fully ban him, and I wouldn't have fully banned anyone else for making a similar comment either. In the hands of anyone else and regarding any other item, it would have gotten litle more than a handful of dislikes, a warning, and otherwise ignored and forgotten. A ban from key suggestion was sufficient for the combination of the comment made and the history of issues. And if you want to call it a half assed warning even when he did get a proper ban for ignoring the warning, well, that's your perogative.

And for the record, he came back with approval from the same mod who started the ban in the first place eg. me.

Let's not get involved in an internet comparisons argument. If you can't see the difference between an idiotic snide comment about a trading item used by everyone who trades- yes, even Long- and an attack on a religion, there's already no point in arguing further on the matter.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about, and what I am freely admitting to having previously being too lenient due to misguided sympathy. You can see my post at the bottom of the suggestion.

As I said, a first timer offence with that comment then yes a warning and verbal threat of ban is sufficient. In fact lets just forget its Long for a moment, if I or another member say Baloo (sorry first name to come to mind) were to have made the comment after months of bad-mouthing the community, stirring (deliberately) rage and causing a lot of controversial opinions to stir within the TF2 trading scene with bp.tf's reputation coming into question. That, in combination of the comments made, IMO, is grounds for a ban - for being blatantly disrespectful. Rule #1 of the site. Plain as day "Be respectful of other users at all times. Insulting, harassing or general rudeness towards other users is not tolerated and may result in a warning or a ban"

I was under the impression it was chief that had given him permission to do the suggestion, apologies. Thanks for setting the record straight though. 

Alright, I apologize, perhaps the religion thing was a bit of a hyperbole but my point is still the same, and question unanswered. Is it not breaking the rules when someone says something with sheer malice in the post's contents regardless of it is directed at someone or just a general statement of a particular group of people. 

Please don't misunderstand and take my postings as a personal attack on you, or any mod for that matter. This topic is regarding Long and his attitude is affecting the site. I personally say that his actions have been bannable since the "poor people" comment and questioning WHY he was never perma-banned after countless rule violations set in place, or at the very least perma-banned from key suggestions. At some point you can only ban someone for a few days so many times before someone says enough; at least I would think so.

And now he changed his name to "☣I LOVE MY HATERZ♫ #key4lyfe". And *sigh* will he ever learn? No body finds this funny, I see it as a poor attempt to anger people. 

People get angry over little things. If I put a pentagram as my profile picture I guarantee I'd get hate because ignorant people link the pentagram to Satanism. xD

People get angry over little things. If I put a pentagram as my profile picture I guarantee I'd get hate because ignorant people link the pentagram to Satanism. xD

It's not really ignorance if the two are affiliated.

And now he changed his name to "☣I LOVE MY HATERZ♫ #key4lyfe". And *sigh* will he ever learn? No body finds this funny, I see it as a poor attempt to anger people. 

He hasn't yet grown out of the trolling phase, but immaturity isn't a reason to ban/suspend/etc. someone.  Only if it harbors negative attention to the site.  

Posted · Hidden by cleverpun, May 21, 2013 - doublepost
Hidden by cleverpun, May 21, 2013 - doublepost

remove this mods, please 

Posted · Hidden by cleverpun, May 21, 2013 - doublepost
Hidden by cleverpun, May 21, 2013 - doublepost

remove this mod please. 

But the thing is, a pentagram can have other meanings, what else can his name mean?

1. He loves all his haters and the hate he's getting (He sounds like one of those 12 year old Facebook girls. "Luv ma h83rs <3", lel)

2. He's provoking all the people who get butthurt about key suggestions with the "keyz4lif" shit, trying to add fuel to the already burning forest fire. 

Immaturity isn't a reason to ban/suspend/etc. someone.  Only if it harbors negative attention to the site.  

He is though. by all this pointless "trolling" (i call it being an ass btw) is making people hat BP.tf because they ignorantly think long is bribing the Mods to raise key prices (Stupid i know, but still) 

He is though. by all this pointless "trolling" (i call it being an ass btw) is making people hate BP.tf because they ignorantly think long is bribing the Mods to raise key prices (Stupid i know, but still) 

I didn't mean to argue that he isn't, otherwise I wouldn't have started the thread.  I just wanted to make sure we keep the topic on his effect on this site rather than our personal feelings towards him.

I may have provided an inappropriate example. However I really don't think long has been hurting the sites credibility. For those that aren't blinded by the keys there is closure.

☣Long218☢ has publicly criticized the actions of the moderating team of the site

How is that a bannable offense?

Personally, I think he's rude but means well.  The bigger issue is that people don't like they current key prices, and they're looking for a scapegoat.

I never said it was.  Being the all-time leader in contribution points isn't a bannable offense either.  I just listed everything I knew about Long.  I haven't even advocated banning him.  Just starting a discussion.

The reason I listed that was because

a. the way he did it was rude, if you check the links

b.  when you have the spotlight on you as the face of the site, these actions are magnified.  be that fair, or not.

Personally, I think he's rude but means well.  The bigger issue is that people don't like they current key prices, and they're looking for a scapegoat.

'they' is a rather interesting term to use here. Instead of referring to the community or a select group of people you used the word 'they' which to me sets up a sort of scenario of 'us' vs. 'them'. Whether this was intentional or not I think you need to realize that there is more than one view point in play and you cannot rule out the others by putting on a tone of exclusivity against 'them'. We are all part of the same community and the fact that Long is a Top Contributor means that it would not be a far-fetched idea for him to behave in an orderly manner however he antagonizes others along with dry attempts at humor such as saying that he plans to raise key prices until refined is worthless or that refined is the currency of poor people. While I am aware that backpack.tf is a site on the internet discussing prices from a game it does not mean that all civilities and formalities be lost. Long acts arrogant for the attention and these meaningless bans do nothing but to garner people's hatred towards him along with growing his own inner ego.

The reason I listed that was because

a. the way he did it was rude, if you check the links

b.  when you have the spotlight on you as the face of the site, these actions are magnified.  be that fair, or not.

Yeah, his suggestions are accurate but he is pretty rude about them sometimes.  A lot of people want him banned for that, which I find a bit harsh.

Lol, I guessed it. Long was banned again for " antagonizing other users (again)" 

By cleverpun (+1 to you sir/madam for cleaning up the site)

Lol, I guessed it. Long was banned again for " antagonizing other users (again)" 

By cleverpun (+1 to you sir/madam)

You should approve/disapprove of actions based on the actions themselves, not on whether they target someone you dislike.

You should approve/disapprove of actions based on the actions themselves, not on whether they target someone you dislike.

I meant thank you in a big way for GENERALLY cleaning up the site. not just towards Long. should have been more clear, sorry 'bout that. 

Archived