Phishers devalue Keys?

Crass Spektakel

Yesterday we had the second drop in key prices in two years. And I have a drunken guess why this happened:

Like the last price drop we are right in the middle of a massive phishing wave. Whenever the phishers are successful they quicksell all the shit and often the real owner reclaims his items through steam support. Which usually means there are great amounts of duped keys flooding the market.

This also means after the phishing wave is over the key prices will rush to compensate the artifical reduction like we saw last christmas.

And btw, I really would appreciate if Valve added an option for my profile "only allow people with steam level 10 to add me as friend". Or at least limit friend requests on the level of the requester, e.g. with level 1 he can do one friend request per day, with level 10 he can request 10 times friendship.

You just gave me a thought: Could the hijackers be the original key buyers from a couple of years ago (the ones who bought with fake credit cards and ultimately led to keys being worth about $1.25 each back then)?

Or at least limit friend requests on the level of the requester, e.g. with level 1 he can do one friend request per day, with level 10 he can request 10 times friendship.

Hey, this is good idea.

• Administrators

And btw, I really would appreciate if Valve added an option for my profile "only allow people with steam level 10 to add me as friend". Or at least limit friend requests on the level of the requester, e.g. with level 1 he can do one friend request per day, with level 10 he can request 10 times friendship.

Steam tried the friend limit thing already, it only ended up hurting players around the community rather than help them. I also disliked that feature as well, I am glad that steam got rid of it. I am pretty sure steam is trying to come up with other ways to battle phishers.

Hey, this is good idea.

actually it is, but

i know professional traders that dont give a fuck about steam levels and stuff [reasonable, its actually very stupid to spend money on a 'steam levels' , even spending money on tf2 is better] and you'd have an urge to buy more steam levels if you wanna trade more than 1 thing per day.

Not really a good idea imo

• Administrators

Hey, this is good idea.

Not really, more of a terrible idea than a great one. Think about it.

Yesterday we had the second drop in key prices in two years. And I have a drunken guess why this happened:

Keys slowed down for a while.

Possible reasons:

-At some point, people just dont want to pay 8.55 per key anymore

- http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Mann%20Co.%20Supply%20Crate%20Key Higher than in the Mann&co store

That phisher thingy seems wrong, because nobody who has enough keys to significantally getting the market flooded with duped ones gets phished.

I'm thinked, nothing changes. Nearly all phishing adds which I have comes from 0-1 leveled people with f2p games/games which was on a "free weekend", this thing will cut them nearly at all.

The number of keys needed to "flood" the market is absolutely insane. 12,900+ keys Sold on the Steam Market alone in the last 24 hours. To actually influence the price of keys in metal or cash then a person would need to be dumping an amount of keys nearly equal to those sold on Steam Market at least or else their low sales would just get drowned out by the massive number of other traders that are dealing in keys.

Almost every random phisher I get now owns Civ 5 or Football Manager so they'relevel 2-3.

I'm thinked, nothing changes. Nearly all phishing adds which I have comes from 0-1 leveled people with f2p games/games which was on a "free weekend", this thing will cut them nearly at all.

Sure it might be effective against phishers but it does more harm than good.

And you'd have an urge to buy more steam levels if you wanna trade more than 1 thing per day.

You are successfull trader -> you have profit -> you can spend some scrap on a cheap cards. And cards which you take for free. And free metal from weapon/hat drop, which you can spend for cheap cards.

Level 10's unrealisticly high as a standard expectation. It would give Valve the appearance of restricting trading to people willing to give it sufficient money/time.

That phisher thingy seems wrong, because nobody who has enough keys to significantally getting the market flooded with duped ones gets phished.

This

Keys slowed down for a while.

Possible reasons:

-At some point, people just dont want to pay 8.55 per key anymore

- http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Mann%20Co.%20Supply%20Crate%20Key Higher than in the Mann&co store

I thought that was so funny when I looked at steam community and just went "2.50 per key? fuck that."

why keys went down:

one reason, bread update. This update purged A LOT of metal from the game, many hats are actually rising (same demand less supply because a lot was crafted)

and you'd have an urge to buy more steam levels if you wanna trade more than 1 thing per day.

but if you can send however many trade offers you want no matter your level?

but if you can send however many trade offers you want no matter your level?

Adding and taliking >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tradeoffers

Reason for key price drop.

People wanted keys to sell on the scm to buy games.

This is why key trade price skyrocketed before the event and scm key price dropped during the event. Now the reverse will happen as the natural key trade price is lower than the high we saw.

I'd like it if there was an option to tell TF2 that a certain item is "protected" (it doesn't show up when you try to sell/trade, scrap weapons, rebuild hats, etc)... and if you unprotect it takes a few days to become usbale/transferable.

Adding and taliking >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tradeoffers

I prefer trade offers for everything but unusuals tho

actually it is, but

i know professional traders that dont give a fuck about steam levels and stuff [reasonable, its actually very stupid to spend money on a 'steam levels' , even spending money on tf2 is better] and you'd have an urge to buy more steam levels if you wanna trade more than 1 thing per day.

The other issue with this is that some accounts that get phished have steam levels higher than 10, so they appear to be normal accounts, but were compromised. I do like the idea somewhat though of rewarding community members that have more invested in their account. The rewards for steam levels are still pretty small in my eyes, which speaks to like you said why many top traders just don't care. 

The trouble is that the limits he proposed are too strict.  Level 1 accounts getting only 1 friend request per day?  No.  What about 20?  That's much better.  But there's another problem.  What's to stop phishers from generating more accounts to get around this restriction?  Basically nothing.

Archived