Effects of fasting and Praying in Islam

Karam

I was waiting for these episodes to get translated .. turn on captions and watch (gonna keep some time stamps for important topics .. watching the whole thing is recommended tho)

Fasting:

2:30 .. a story about a dude to got arthritis and how he got cured by fasting

6:50 .. what fasting can do to your body

7:57 .. a book from a doctor "Fasting, a royal cure to healing"

13:32 .. a best seller book in Europe "a fast diet"

14:25 .. Science proves that endurance during fasting is stronger

17:16 .. american great depression and how it proved fasting is very useful

Prayer:

2:42 .. how prayer can effect brain cells positively (5:40 = results)

9:24 .. how western dudes used meditation for advantage against bullying and all

14:06 .. what happens to the energy in human body during prayer (positive too)

15:58 .. comparison between a country that believes in religion (any) and a country that doesn't

So anything that religion tells us to do is for our benefit .. and that is just a minority of what positives it gives us ..

Thoughts ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad Someone Make this. i'm muslim and i watch This show Everyday i recommend you to watch it you will lern alot of things about islam,fasting,Praying and the benefits of Fasting 

i have always been interested in fasting but have never done it. do you fast and celebrate ramadan omani?

Yes he does (seeing his steam name) .. and ramdan is not really a "celebration" ..  it's a special month where the devils are locked .. all good deeds are multiplied (sins too) .. and it's just an awesome month for spirituality  

Not trying to be disrespectful, but why reject science and evolution (directed at OP) but then accept science when it suits you, as above?

Not trying to be disrespectful, but why reject science and evolution (directed at OP) but then accept science when it suits you, as above?

we do these things on daily basis .. people say "why do you do it anyway it's useless" .. so we give them proof that it is useful by their own believes that is science .. it didn't say science doesn't prove anything .. i just say their proof is no proof

we do these things on daily basis .. people say "why do you do it anyway it's useless" .. so we give them proof that it is useful by their own believes that is science .. it didn't say science doesn't prove anything .. i just say their proof is no proof

but you don't fast because it's healthful. you do it because you want allah to forgive your sins.

there is no point of making the ramadan for healthful reasons, because even if it's healthy, the muslims are fasting only because it's their holiday. nothing else.

but you don't fast because it's healthful. you do it because you want allah to forgive your sins.

there is no point of making the ramadan for healthful reasons, because even if it's healthy, the muslims are fasting only because it's their holiday. nothing else.

only schools are on holidays .. all the dads are working .. and yes .. forgive the sins and all .. but it just shows that God won't put a whole month of fasting so we become weaker and less energitic and go why should we fast and entire month .. everything is there for a reason 

only schools are on holidays .. all the dads are working .. and yes .. forgive the sins and all .. but it just shows that God won't put a whole month of fasting so we become weaker and less energitic and go why should we fast and entire month .. everything is there for a reason 

if you are eating and drinking enough at the nights then you will not be hungry or weaker.

before yom kippur i ate enough and i wasn't hungry during all the 25 hours of fasting.

if you are eating and drinking enough at the nights then you will not be hungry or weaker.

before yom kippur i ate enough and i wasn't hungry during all the 25 hours of fasting.

>1500 years ago.. people was told to fast in an order from the prophet.. now we have science so we know why the prophet told us to do that.. fasting and many other actions in islam was proven its physical, mental and spiritual benefits. 

Fasting is not about hunger.. its an international cure to many diseases.. that was presented to humanity >1500 years ago.

fasting and many other actions in islam was proven its physical, mental and spiritual benefits. 

judaism aswell.

Fasting is not about hunger.. its an international cure to many diseases.. that was presented to humanity >1500 years ago.

nope mate, it wasn't 1500 years ago, it was 3300 years ago by god as he written it in the torah that he gave to us and no one else.

we the jews are fasting 1800 years before the arabs.

and even if it's healthy, it dosen't mean that this is the reason you are fasting. you are fasting to make yourself suffering as punishment for your sins so allah don't need to burn you in hell afterlife becuase you already had punishment.

Not trying to be disrespectful, but why reject science and evolution (directed at OP Teh Batmon) but then accept science when it suits you, as above?

nope mate, it wasn't 1500 years ago, it was 3300 years ago by god as he written it in the torah that he gave to us and no one else.

and even if it's healthy, it dosen't mean that this is the reason you are fasting. you are fasting to make yourself suffering as punishment for your sins so allah don't need to burn you in hell afterlife becuase you already had punishment.

1- Notice the ">

2- Doing something for a double benefit is wrong ? i don't think so

3- suffering ? punishment ? did you watch the video ? he clearly says that it gives you energy.

well yes .. there were different faces of fasting long before Quran came.  

The thingy about "gave to us and no one else" is an over statement, why would God guide only 1 group of people and leave the others hanging .. no sense for me. It's written in Quran that people of that age had to follow Torah as it was the right thing back in a day. Bible was right too .. all the holy books were right and Quran says that .. but when Quran came ,, it told us to leave all the books as this is the and perfect one which perfects the religion and is perfect for the whole mankind till the end of the world.

And punishment by fasting ? Please. Watch the video before running your mouth

Fasting is a good way to lose wait (from what I've been told)

It'll be useful to get rid of them extra man boobs

i think i agree with all the posts at the top re: the benefits of fasting but it most certainly does not cure arthritis, and it's dangerous for anybody to believe that, imo. same sort of logic where people get "cured" of cancer in lourdes. if you are really sick, go for a doctor before you chose the spiritual route. humans have much more proven experience treating illness than the supernatural

Islam does not actually reject science and evolution. They actually embrace each other. Only human evolution is not believed in, which is valid for Islam as human intelligence, which in Islam is actually one of the miracles, seems impossible to have come from apes. Evolution in other organisms is not actually stated to be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

How does Islam still have fasting. Christianity has done away with it and both religions are a revision of Judaism? Also, has islam ever had a period of reform as Christianity e xpierienced with the Reformation?

How Islam still have fasting. Christianity has done away with it and both religions are a revision of Judaism? Also, has islam ever had a period of reform as Christianity e xpierienced with the Reformation?

ofcourse it is still there .. why would it stopped in the first place .. Christianity is just a messed up religion really (no offense to anyone) .. and islam

1,completes the past holy religions .. we all believe in past religions that they were right in the time they were given.

2. has its own perfect rules

3. is promised to stay perfect till end of life.

ofcourse it is still there .. why would it stopped in the first place .. Christianity is just a messed up religion really (no offense to anyone) .. and islam

1,completes the past holy religions .. we all believe in past religions that they were right in the time they were given.

You can't have a serious discussion with someone who is so delusional that they think their religion is perfect, especially against the backdrop of current events in Iraq, where christians and other non-mulsims are being forcibly driven out by violent muslims who have threatened to kill them if they stay.

By the way, you can pray to a jug of milk and get the same results as praying to god.  That doesn't mean that the jug of milk has divine powers, it simply means that prayer to an inanimate object is no more or less effective than prayer to a supposed supernatural deity.  It then follows that the only reasonably possible benefit to prayer is likely to be nothing more than a positive placebo effect.  But it gets worse than that, because there have been some studies which have shown that prayer can also have a negative placebo effect.  Here is a wikipedia article discussing the subject of the effectiveness of prayer and some of the studies that have been done on it.

And there may be some health benefits to fasting but that does not mean that the supernatural claims of Islam (or any of the many other religions which also involve fasting) are actually true.

You can't have a serious discussion with someone who is so delusional that they think their religion is perfect

Did you ask for proof ? did you search ? did you create a thread like i did ? or D) none of the above

especially against the backdrop of current events in Iraq, where christians and other non-mulsims are being forcibly driven out by violent muslims who have threatened to kill them if they stay.

Who said that islam is being applied well ? in syria, bashar is killing muslims in their own islamic country.. and pretending he's a muslim

By the way, you can pray to a jug of milk and get the same results as praying to god.  That doesn't mean that the jug of milk has divine powers, it simply means that prayer to an inanimate object is no more or less effective than prayer to a supposed supernatural deity.  It then follows that the only reasonably possible benefit to prayer is likely to be nothing more than a positive placebo effect.  But it gets worse than that, because there have been some studies which have shown that prayer can also have a negative placebo effect.  Here is a wikipedia article discussing the subject of the effectiveness of prayer and some of the studies that have been done on it.

Nothing supernatural.. its called contemplation.. regardless of who/which you do it for.. it will give you the same physical/mental benefit.

same thing with fasting.. muslims are told to fast.. fasting has proven its benefits.. simply islam tells people to do whats helpful for their life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer

"a meta-analysis of several studies related to distant intercessory healing published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in 2000 looked at 2774 patients in 23 studies, and found that 13 showed statistically significant positive results, 9 showed no effect, and 1 showed a negative result"

Did you ask for proof ? did you search ? did you create a thread like i did ? or D) none of the above

What exactly is it that you are trying to say?  I am not understanding you.  But since you mention proof, I would like some.  Please prove that Islam is perfect (hint: you can't).

Who said that islam is being applied well ? in syria, bashar is killing muslims in their own islamic country.. and pretending he's a muslim

Common reply.  "He's not a real muslim!" (christians use this defense this too, so I've heard it many times before). 

What is a real muslim?  Someone who follows YOUR interpretation of the qur'an?   How do you know your interpretation is right?  Maybe his is right and yours is wrong. 

There are many different sects of islam, and there are even further divisions within those.  Which one is correct?  Perhaps they are all wrong.  The mere fact that it can be interpreted so many different ways is problematic, and if we look at islam as being an application of the teachings of qur'an, it cannot be perfect because no human is perfect and cannot perfectly apply it, especially when so many possible ways to interpret it exist.

You also say he is pretending to be a muslim.  How do you know his mind?  Can you read his thoughts?

Nothing supernatural.. its called contemplation.. regardless of who/which you do it for.. it will give you the same physical/mental benefit.

I completely agree.

same thing with fasting.. muslims are told to fast.. fasting has proven its benefits.. simply islam tells people to do whats helpful for their life.

Here is a wiki article discussing some possible negative effects of islamic fasting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer

"a meta-analysis of several studies related to distant intercessory healing published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in 2000 looked at 2774 patients in 23 studies, and found that 13 showed statistically significant positive results, 9 showed no effect, and 1 showed a negative result"

You have merely quoted the wikipedia article which I linked to you, and I do not see the point which you are trying to make.  Please elucidate it.  Thankyou.

snipola

Please comment on one of the many other anti religion threads. Thnx

I would assert that Christianity (post reformation) is the most modern/contemporary main religion. I am currently agnostic but was from a Christian church.

Several issues I have I would like you to explain.

1. How can Islam say that Christ was merely a prophet when he declares himself to be the "son of God" (essentially being God and having the authority of God)? Make note, Christ was able to show himself to be the savior mentioned in the old testement. Also, does this mean that Islam is still awaiting the arrival of this savior?

2. How does the Koran truely differ from Christ's teaching (as well as the subsequent work of his disciples)? Note, Revelations does convey the messege that there was to be no more to be added to Gods messege (the Bible) as well so if the Koran establishes only minor differences than it is a redundancy. If there are significant differences than it really establishes a new faith that is seperate from that which is constructed in the Old/New testement. If the Koran diverges greatly from the previous texts than Islam can not claim to be from that God. This is not unique btw, at one point a pharro in ancient Egypt attempted to convert the traditional religion into a Monothiestic system but was unable to succeed in this.

3. Why can't Islam find a balance between its sects (Sunni, Shia) so that peace can be found inside the religion itself? These sects have been in conflict for far too long. Neither are going to win the arguement and seemingly lacks the prudence to agree to end the conflict.

Archived