Making Profit?

Penn Island

Hello good sirs!

I've just joined in on this TF2 trading after seeing how much money I can make. The only problem is, where do I start?

Thanks.

Welcome to the community!

Firstly let me just say that "making a lot of money" takes you a while to get started off and you shouldn't expect to make decent cash for a while, mant traders where you probably got the impression of "making a lot" have been playing for a lonnnnnng time.

For now start small and work your way up, avoid dealing with any new items as they always from after hype ends and as soon as you can start investing your metal into keys. stay away from painted/vintages/genuines as even though you can profit they take a while to resell.

pray to shrek and the bread kings, and attempt to craft the 3rune blade, apoco fists, maul, and sharp dresser. With 8 weps you can get 2+ref. Gotta have luck tho, it can make you or break you.

This is basically gambling. With bad luck you're losing. With good luck you're winning. 

Up to you but I can't recommend

I was able to sell a couple weapons for a scrap and a strange market gardener someone generously gifted me, now I have enough to try out your hat thing. I setup an outpost trade but no one is actually viewing it, in a 30 minute period I got a meager total of five views and no friend requests/trade offers/comments or anything. It's going really slow, should I be giving it some more time or am I doing something wrong?

What I can suggest is putting a trade offer link on your outpost profile. That will help speed things along as well as net the occasional sale while you're away from your pc.

Another thing I can suggest is condensing your trades. Offer as many items on a trade as possible and keep your information as basic as possible. Not everyone who trades have english as their home language and the barrier can be felt at times.

My prefered ;layout is

Selling 

Armoured Authority(These are only examples) --------------------------------- 2.00 Refined

Ace of Hats----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.66 Refined

Bazaar Bargain ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 0,11 Refined

Add me or send me a trade offer

Short, to the point and easy to modify but you can design your own. Whatever is more comfortable for you.

What I can suggest is putting a trade offer link on your outpost profile. That will help speed things along as well as net the occasional sale while you're away from your pc.

Another thing I can suggest is condensing your trades. Offer as many items on a trade as possible and keep your information as basic as possible. Not everyone who trades have english as their home language and the barrier can be felt at times.

My prefered ;layout is

Selling 

Armoured Authority(These are only examples) --------------------------------- 2.00 Refined

Ace of Hats----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.66 Refined

Bazaar Bargain ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 0,11 Refined

Add me or send me a trade offer

Short, to the point and easy to modify but you can design your own. Whatever is more comfortable for you.

Thanks, hadn't thought about that.

I've been doing the hat thing and it's working well so far. I'm at 5.44 pure metal right nao and was wondering if there is another way I can make profit so I can do the hat thing and something else. Any ideas?

small strange flipping would be about the only other thing at that level other than possibly buying up steam trading cards at a scrap each and selling them to people that pay more (while I'm probably not the best price I ALWAYS pay 1 ref per 7 cards simply for the convenience of buying in bulk).

small strange flipping would be about the only other thing at that level other than possibly buying up steam trading cards at a scrap each and selling them to people that pay more (while I'm probably not the best price I ALWAYS pay 1 ref per 7 cards simply for the convenience of buying in bulk).

Ok, I'll try the strange flipping, but I found that flipping craft only weapons like the sharp dresser has worked.

I've been doing the hat thing and it's working well so far. I'm at 5.44 pure metal right nao and was wondering if there is another way I can make profit so I can do the hat thing and something else. Any ideas?

There are many items you can dabble in. I'd recommend the Festive Sapper. While they are listed at 1 refined they are easy enough to sell at 1.33

You could try paints, gifts or just focus on hats as well. There's always hats on sale

There are many items you can dabble in. I'd recommend the Festive Sapper. While they are listed at 1 refined they are easy enough to sell at 1.33

You could try paints, gifts or just focus on hats as well. There's always hats on sale

All right, thanks. One question though, is flipping tools like description or name tags any good?

Right now no. They're dropping fast due to summer adventures and sales influx. You could try buying a few but that would be an investment for later when they go up again.

So I was able to sell some hats and other things and now I'm at 21.66 pure metal. Now I'm deciding if I should buy keys and start trading with them or continue with my hats. Any suggestions?

You are a fast learner, mate. I suggest you to keep going like this a little bit more. Just a heads up that selling/buying items worth a key or more may be slightly harder than the ones worth some refined, but still worth to try. Good luck!

I'm considering buying hats that are worth a key like Brotherhood of Arms for lower and selling them for higher, is this a good idea? Also, for how much should I buy them? I've seen a lot of people do it for 6 ref but If I buy them higher, will I attract more people?

I'm considering buying hats that are worth a key like Brotherhood of Arms for lower and selling them for higher, is this a good idea? Also, for how much should I buy them? I've seen a lot of people do it for 6 ref but If I buy them higher, will I attract more people?

It's called flipping.

Yes, it's a good idea.

Buy hats for 1 ref (or more if you like) less than bp.tf price, when someone want to sell you their hat, simply give trade and then make a classifieds listing selling the item for full price. Yes it works, people are impatient and thats why they are willing to do it.

All right, thanks. One question though, is flipping tools like description or name tags any good?

Recently was flipping ts paint which I bought for around 1 key and sold for 1 key + 2 ref. I missed many trade offers as well Cruz I was semi inactive. Flipped around 15+ over the past fortnight or so while semi inactive if this helps.

Right now no. They're dropping fast due to summer adventures and sales influx. You could try buying a few but that would be an investment for later when they go up again.

Are they going to go up? I got some backpack expanders and name tags from the adventure card badges, should I keep them and wait for their price to go up or sell them now?

Are they going to go up? I got some backpack expanders and name tags from the adventure card badges, should I keep them and wait for their price to go up or sell them now?

Keep them. There are not going to be many more Summer Packs, and the price is probably going to raise around Christmas. I'm pretty sure that the price won't go much lower (maybe 0.33 lower until B.P. Exp. and Name tags are used)

I have one key and I'm wondering what I should do with it. Should I keep it or sell it for metal?

Always good to keep a key or two in your backpack. Since keys tend to rise it's a safe investment. 
Although at the start of a trading career it's best to keep your money flowing. Use it for trading I'd say

Always good to keep a key or two in your backpack. Since keys tend to rise it's a safe investment. 

Although at the start of a trading career it's best to keep your money flowing. Use it for trading I'd say

Oki, thanks. But what should I use the keys for, then?

Buy something worth slightly more than a key (e.g. Team Spirit Paint) and sell the item for more than a key.  Rinse. Repeat. Profit.  

Archived