Why did it Take so Long for Gay Marriage to be Acceptable?

Shunsui Kyōraku

Here we are in 2014 and on the 9th of May this year same-sex marriage had just now been approved, but in only sixteen countries around the world, and only certain parts of the USA allow it. Here in the UK, it was legalized on the 9th of May, but why did it take so long? Now, I understand that Christians believe that same-sex relationships and marriage are strictly prohibited since the Bible says that you should only marry another Man or Woman of the opposite gender to you, but what if the couple doesn't follow the Christian faith? Same-sex marriage was completely outlawed, potentially because of the Christian majority (at least in the UK), but what about the rest of the country? I'm curious to see the opinions of other users here. What are your thoughts on same-sex marriage? Do you think it should be outlawed, accepted or are you on the fence? Thank you for reading.

The bible. Everyone should be able to marry the person they love no matter what their gender is. The bible banning eating seafood and people do it anyways. Why can't do you marry the person you love?

I think we should just outlaw straight marriage and see how straight white conservative Christians react to being discriminated.

I think we should just outlaw straight marriage and see how straight white conservative Christians react to being discriminated.

Oh no, because that's most of the politicians we're talking about.

The bible. Everyone should be able to marry the person they love no matter what their gender is. The bible banning eating seafood and people do it anyways. Why can't do you marry the person you love?

I absolutely agree with this. The Bible is supposed to preach fair teachings and yet it discriminates against same-sex couples. Everyone should be able to do whatever they want in their own personal private lives!

The bible banning eating seafood and people do it anyways.

Perhaps you should research the context in which you are referring to. "Shellfish" were forbidden to eat because no one back then knew how to properly prepare it, meaning everyone who ever ate it basically got food poisoning.  They thought that it was some sort of "bad food" so it was banned from eating. Last time I checked we know how to cook food properly.

Who are they to judge someone based upon their sexuality? It's not their life in question. Why can't they just leave well enough alone and mind their own marital business?

2 reasons why people don't support gay marriage:

1. they're assholes

2. or they secretly crave the penis 

Picker and Choosers.

Bible thumpers like to pick and choose which "moralities" of the bible they like to follow. One example is every one of those "people" that eat shrimp are going against the teachings of that book. They justify this by saying "old testament blah blah blah, I'm better than you blah blah blah".

The Bible is old as tits. Surely a holy scripture can be updated.

The pope even said he's fine with gays. So bible dickheads need to wake up.

i don't get why homosexuals want to partake in a religious ceremony that has condemned their sexuality since the magic book was written by pissed off men with sand in the their buttholes.

my 2c

i don't get why homosexuals want to partake in a religious ceremony that has condemned their sexuality since the magic book was written by pissed off men with sand in the their buttholes.

my 2c

Marriage gives some economic advantages in certain countries for example.

Oh yeah and I forgot. I think Marriage started as a Christian thing if (jjjon told me), Christians are against gays? So i guess thats why

"Holy" matrimony is generally accepted as a Christian ideal but the concept of a monogamous relationships is from long before Christianity took the world by force.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Civilization was not ready for gay people

Most of gay people are nice people

Religion and most countries a century ago believed that homosexual people were mental defective

And they hated fap too

I'm not gay I swear.

I'm amazed how easily some people blame Bible. Most of people who are against gay marriage didn't read Bible ^_^ .

And about why it takes so long... There is many reasons:

• Cultural issues - marriage is related with culture. And in culture which I know there is no same-sex marriage. If it would be called other name then problem would be gone.
  • Radicalization of the LGBTQ community - In my country headmaster of one of gay's organization said something about burring houses of homophobs. I've seen many LGBTQ sites and I've hear many opinion of users of that organization. Day by day they are more hostile for everyone who aren't at their side. I've hear enemy opinion on people who just don't want adoption for same-sex marriage.
  • The political left want to accept that. And the political left going down in many country in Europe. Especially in France.
  • Simple people are disgusted by thinking about Gay Marriage.
  • There is not many homosexualist in the world. Their relationships are shaky (more shaky than relationships between man and woman. proof: http://papers.ccpr.ucla.edu/papers/PWP-CCPR-2010-013/PWP-CCPR-2010-013.pdf ). There is crisis right now. And for me doing something about economy is way more important than same-sex marriage.

I'm not against homosexualist or whoever. They are harmless(right now) so why I should even care about them? For me they can have partnerships, because marriage in my country is cultural issue.

my 2c

Religion doesn't own the word or act of marriage. Im married and religion played no part in it what so ever. FYI, the act of marriage is older then any of the current religions. 

Oh yeah and I forgot. I think Marriage started as a Christian thing if (jjjon told me), Christians are against gays? So i guess thats why

The act of marriage is older then Christianity. 

Archived