Unusual Effect/Hat Tier Thread?

MeatballHLM

I was wondering if someone could make a thread of Unusual Effect Tier or Unusual Hat Tier in here?

Tf2pricecheck has it but that site is becoming irrelevant since the priecheck there are based on opinion, not real sales.

If you look at the prices it gives you a general gist of low-mid-high tier effects.

I was wondering if someone could make a thread of Unusual Effect Tier or Unusual Hat Tier in here?

Tf2pricecheck has it but that site is becoming irrelevant since the priecheck there are based on opinion, not real sales.

That's kind of hard though because "effect tiers" are completely determined by TF2 players/traders.

Worst

NNB

Bubbling

G fetti

P fetti

Smoking

O fire

Searing plasma

Vivid plasma

Scorching

Best

In my recent absence, you seem to have been very busy on these forums. 811 posts?!?! :P

In my recent absence, you seem to have been very busy on these forums. 811 posts?!?! :P

Way too much in proportion to my suggestions.

In most cases burning/scorching are considered highest tier. not far after that is harvest or cloudy moon.

What I usually see is:

Burning

Scorching

Beams

Purple Energy

Green Energy

Circling Heart

Vivid Plasma 

Searing Plasma

Stormy Storm

Blizzardy Storm

Massed Flies

Orbiting Planets

Orbiting Fire

Circling TF Logo

Smoking

Massed Flies

Circling Peace Sign

Steaming

Bubbling

Nuts and Bolts

Confetti is a wild card at the moment but I put it around flies, unless the hat's high-tier.

Halloween effects:

It's a Secret to Everybody

Harvest Moon

Cloudy Moon

Misty Skull

Stormy 13th Hour

Knifestorm

Cauldron Bubbles

Haunted Ghosts

Flaming Lantern - sometimes this goes above Knifestorm, it's dependent on the amount of them/what hat it's on

Eerie Orbiting Fire

What I usually see is:

Burning

Scorching

Beams

Purple Energy

Green Energy

Circling Heart

Vivid Plasma 

Searing Plasma

Stormy Storm

Blizzardy Storm

Massed Flies

Orbiting Planets

Orbiting Fire

Circling TF Logo

Smoking

Massed Flies

Circling Peace Sign

Steaming

Bubbling

Nuts and Bolts

Confetti is a wild card at the moment but I put it around flies, unless the hat's high-tier.

Halloween effects:

Harvest Moon

Cloudy Moon

Misty Skull

Stormy 13th Hour

Knifestorm

Cauldron Bubbles

Haunted Ghosts

Flaming Lantern - sometimes this goes above Knifestorm, it's dependent on the amount of them/what hat it's on

Eerie Orbiting Fire

1. Ghosts is not a Halloween effect

2. You have flies listed twice

What I usually see is:

Burning

Scorching

Beams

Purple Energy

Green Energy

Circling Heart

Vivid Plasma 

Searing Plasma

Stormy Storm

Blizzardy Storm

Massed Flies

Orbiting Planets

Orbiting Fire

Circling TF Logo

Smoking

Massed Flies

Circling Peace Sign

Steaming

Bubbling

Nuts and Bolts

Halloween effects:

Harvest Moon

Cloudy Moon

Misty Skull

Stormy 13th Hour

Knifestorm

Cauldron Bubbles

Haunted Ghosts

Eerie Orbiting Fire

O. fire should be higher and I think the weather effects should be lower.

o fire is so underrated imo

I agree, I would take that over planets or weather effects on just about any hat.

Cloudy Moon > any other moon

nuff said

actual moon in the night sky > Cloudy pixels.

get wrked. 

1. Ghosts is not a Halloween effect

2. You have flies listed twice

1. Right. I always think of it as one, but it's an all-year effect, I keep forgetting.

2. No clue how that happened, thanks for the note.

I did something for this awhile ago. Using "maths" and backpack.tf prices

Read my posts here: (hat tiers)

http://www.tf2pricecheck.net/Thread-GUIDE-Unusual-Hat-Tiers-v%E2%88%9E?pid=134241#pid134241

and here: (effect tiers)

http://www.tf2pricecheck.net/Thread-GUIDE-Unusual-Effect-Tiers-v%E2%88%9E?pid=134280#pid134280

I can't login with steam for some reason and I can't open the pdf's because of that.~

We should rank them in groups

High tier

scorching

sunbeams

burning

etc

Mid tier

plasmas

etc

Low tier

o fire

fetti

etc

nnb

I can't login with steam for some reason and I can't open the pdf's because of that.~

Try this:

Effect Tiers:

Quote from my post on TF2PC:

As some of you may know, i recently undertook a huge statistical analysis of pretty much all common hats and the classic effects. The main goal was to complete a mathematical ranking of the hats to verify the existing subjective ranking. As a side product I was able to complete a mathematical ranking of effects too. the details of how i performed this analysis and assumptions can be found in this post. The results of the hat ranking can be found in this post

Anyway, in the attached doc you can find the results.

As a side bonus, I listed the classes that get more dollars for a given effect than others and what effects don't do well with certain classes. This stat was created by normalizing the values of the hats and seeing which ones get a higher value compared to the others. For example, i did some "maths" and proved that flies is a great effect for sniper, which you already knew, but some of the others are more interesting. Enjoy!

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/0jLR25D8h/ (pdf, choose "slow download")

Hat Tiers:

Quote of my post on TF2PC:

Ok, so here's something I have wasted my time on.

I went through every scout and soldier hat and found an average price for each hat (by taking the average of the average price for each effect) using prices from backpack.tf (modified when they were way silly) and sorted the hats by average price and compared them to the list here.

So my assumptions:

1.the prices on BP are universally accurate (or inaccurate for that matter). Meaning that in the long run, the prices of a bonk boy are just as good or screwed up as for a Hermes. If this is true, then the relative difference between the hat values is accurate even if the actual suggested prices are wrong. Example, you say regular gas costs $3.5 and premium is $4, and I say it's $3.8 and $4.2. We both agree that regular gas costs less than premium. Therefore you would rank premium above regular as would I.

2. I only used the old and new effects. No halloween effects were used since there are some hats that don't have any cauldron bubbles for example and since I'm averaging the other 20+ effects I need a price for each effect for compare accurately. Also since the halloween effects are unstable, they could skew the results.

Without further adieu, here's the results!

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/Z2Y9pE6WLy/ (By class)

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/w0nszhLaDN/ (Overall)

Thx. Very nice files. :D

Seems like I need to bump up more scorching hat's to bring it above sunbeams. :P

Scorching is above errything. Derp

But it was always better than sunbeams right?

Here's roughly how I'd place them. Leaving out halloween effects, they're too inconsistent due to how strongly rarity can be a factor.

Burning Flames
Sunbeams/Scorching Flames
Purple Energy
Green Energy

Circling Heart/Haunted Ghosts
Vivid Plasma
Searing Plasma
Stormy Storm
Blizzardy Storm

Orbiting Fire

Circling Peace Sign
Circling TF Logo
Massed Flies
Confetti

Orbiting Planets
Smoking
Steaming
Bubbling
Nuts n' Bolts

Scorching and sunbeams tend to be very hat specfic, I wouldn't argue one is overall consistently better than the other. Similar story for circling hearts and haunted ghosts. They're also a bit less rigid than other tiers, it's not entirely uncommon for them to mingle with the energies.

Things become murky beneath the plasmas, but overall I find the classic effects are rising over the newer effects. Weather effects are managing to hold up reasonably well and are fairly firm sitting right beneath the plasmas. Nuts is solidly at the bottom, while bubbling/steaming/smoking are fairly consistently just above.

I'm most uncertain on orbiting planets, flies, and orbiting fire. Flies is very much a love or hate it hat, and I find people overestimate the flies collectors. All in all, it can fare very highly on strongly wanted hats, while it will flounder badly on the less wanted hats. Difficult to place. Orbiting fire has consistently been the most wanted new effect after the weathers, but I'm uncertain on how it's holding up as the lower new effects push up. Orbiting planets I've never been able to get a firm feel for.

Archived