Flipping unusuals worth it?

FlaSh

I've gotten pretty good offers, and yesterday I got an offer of about 50% of its bp.tf price if paid in pure. On paper it seems great...

But really, is it worth that profit? (in this case it was 3buds for a 6buds item, and i rejected it) It takes so goddamn long to actually sell an unusual for pure, I really never cared for unusual flipping.

What do you guys think?

Only worth it if you buy them super cheap. If it's not 1st gen don't bother with it.

Personally I think flipping pure, games, paints, and other "hot" items is much more effective. 

Flipping unusuals can take a very long time--you should expect it to take 2-4 weeks+ to get your pure back. You also need to be wary of pricing--bp.tf is often fairly inaccurate when it comes to unusual pricing, so you need to keep an eye on the market and be able to fish around histories in order to see what you can reasonably expect for a hat.

That said, flipping unusuals can be very profitable, in terms of how much pure you earn (if not always time spent). I've made some very good profit buying unusuals cheap for pure, then either selling them for more pure than I paid, or swapping them for pure + a slightly cheaper hat (and so on until I got back entirely to pure).

If you are okay with the risk and the time involved, it can be a worthwhile way to profit, but these drawbacks are also why many people don't bother with it.

And don't listen to these other people--any effect generation can be sold for profit in pure, provided you get it for the right price. One of the reasons the most recent effects are only traded for other effects is the massive number of stupid pricing happening with them.

Thanks for the posts, decided I should just stick to smaller items. I don't spend too much time on trading items or playing tf2, so I guess I can't afford to flip unusuals.

Stick to small items eg: low tier unusuals with weather effects (personally i find them easy sells) or flip pure (buy maxes,keys,buds and what not cheap).  Also if buying higher tier unusuals try to stick to first gens.  On the odd occasion i buy an aussie and somehow they're really easy to sell for pure (from my past experiences 

everything can be profitable if you actually study what it is you're dealing with. Unusual trading requires patience, skill, and an ability to identify "good deals" rapidly while not risking much.

Better to flip smaller items on a larger scale, unless ur doing high tiers. Many smaller profits gives you more than 1 big profit.

Better to flip smaller items on a larger scale, unless ur doing high tiers. Many smaller profits gives you more than 1 big profit.

Exactly. But, if You have a lot of pure in Your backpack, and You're not gonna use it, then I think it's okay to invest these.

However always do Your own pricing on unusuals. Bp.tf isn't always accurate. Look at market, at B/Os, at offers and then decide.

From what I've learned, unusual flipping is less reliable in its outputs, but can have higher profits as a result.  I try to flip promos now. [Max's Bill's, Big Kills.]

I once sold a N&B hot dogger for a bud (It's 11 keys)
He offered too, I just said I was selling it.

Can be. Risky too.

Yeah.  When you're buying quicksells, you need to watch out for people who are looking to use you as a unwitting fence for hijacked or scammed stuff (I am aware that by some accounts, the term "unwitting fence" is an oxymoron, since a fence is someone who typically knows that they are receiving stolen goods).

Archived