trade.tf's pricesheet

Jymotion

Yes possibly, depending on whether the traffic gets too crowded, I may implement a donation system and some priority access to donators.

And in that case, I would transfer part of the donations to the websites where the good deals trades are from so that the whole community benefits.

But I prefer not to think too far ahead. That makes my day each time someone comes to me and says they made some profit thanks to my website (when I was beta testing with 10 people a month ago, I've got report of people making over a bud a week in profit and I was like: realllly ?).

Use your own site

Make profit

Upgrade site with profits

Make more profits

Charge other people for upgraded version

Become Mattie or whoever the richest guy is.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Chief D,

I see where you're coming from about perpetual price lowering, there are always people selling for less than the price, a better place to look could be the fair deals sections (which contains good and fair deals). Ideally, the price must be adjusted when the proportion of people selling for less is sufficiently high. However the big problem is to measure the proportion that actually sold. Obviously you're aware of my spreadsheet which tracks trades, that was my way to address that eternal question.

Concerning volume (and dates), I addressed the question in the FAQ on my website. I can add that information for every item but I'll have to do some code changes to transmit this information from math engine input to its outpout (and I'm going on vacation soon, not sure I can find time before).

However I am not sure that it's a good idea to use my spreadsheet as proof since that would influence backpack.tf prices and I think the whole benefit of having two independent sources of information is that they remain independent to validate each other.

I understand. Obviously if your website is used as proof, it would also need links to trading sites. It's like a tf2finance for the items. I'm not saying it's required for suggestions, but it's a good plus.

No transparency. I might as well be using the old TF2 spreadsheet if I'm gonna use that.

Half of my price suggestions were based on spreadsheet (no, I'm not exaggerating)

I don't think the site is popular enough to be used as proof. Maybe later, but I don't think now is the time.

it's popularity doesn't affect how it gets its data.  are you saying this in terms of people here accepting it as proof?

it's popularity doesn't affect how it gets its data.  are you saying this in terms of people here accepting it as proof?

Yea, should have clarified more. Not many people know about it yet.

Awesome! Another tool at my disposal.  You can find a reason to hate anything, but finding the ways you can utilize it to improve what you currently do, now that's something.

That is definitely odd, considering tf2finance is showing average 5.11 right now.

It has actually been there for awhile: April 29.  April 30 the Min - Median - Max were all the same 5 ref.  So they have no idea what it actually was for that day.

It has actually been there for awhile: April 29.  April 30 the Min - Median - Max were all the same 5 ref.  So they have no idea what it actually was for that day.

Since I started tracking trade.tf.  Price for trade.tf is an average if there is a range. 

i2nWp4s.png

It does strike me as odd that 4.94 (4.88 - 5.00) stayed the same for so long, and tf2finance was fluctuating. 

I just noticed that Trade.tf has a 5 ref barrier in its key price.  What is going on with that?

http://trade.tf/price/5021/6

Ok, I responded in the other thread where you made the  same statement.

There's no barrier on key price on trade.tf (my website), or any other item for that matter.

Please ask on trade.tf steam group your questions, I'm always happy to answer them there. In some way, it's lucky I checked those forums or I may not even have noticed your new comments.

Concerning discrepencies between tf2finance and trade.tf, base64 already answered that question very nicely:

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/1259-key-price-tf2finance-vs-tradetf/

Last, please remember that I measure medians not averages, and that I measure multi-item trades, not only pure metal trades. These points were made by base64 in his post but I wanted to be sure they were not overlooked.

Ok, I responded in the other thread where you made the  same statement.

There's no barrier on key price on trade.tf (my website), or any other item for that matter.

Please ask on trade.tf steam group your questions, I'm always happy to answer them there. In some way, it's lucky I checked those forums or I may not even have noticed your new comments.

Concerning discrepencies between tf2finance and trade.tf, base64 already answered that question very nicely:

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/1259-key-price-tf2finance-vs-tradetf/

Last, please remember that I measure medians not averages, and that I measure multi-item trades, not only pure metal trades. These points were made by base64 in his post but I wanted to be sure they were not overlooked.

Um...did u see the graph?  Please explain the flattop and the apparent berrier and the fact that at no time does it show a price above 5 ref.  For almost the entire 24 period of April 30 where all three line show 5 ref is a little freakish don't you think?

My analysis about the 5 ref flat top.

First let me explain what min/max represent: they represent the min and max medians for a period of 24 hours.

What's important here is that they're medians, not standard deviation nor mean-absolute deviations.

Now concerning the 5 ref, I've noticed the same flat behavior when I was testing my system and the keys were at 4 ref back then.

My system measures item values based on their trading with other items and/or metal. However the psychology of item-item trades differs from pure item-metal trades, and I'll explain why next. Note that in terms of volume, there are a lot more item-item trades than pure item-metal trades, in consequence they act a lot in the median.

My analysis is that a lot of people like whole numbers when trading some hat or some weapon + metal for a key. It appears to make the arithmetic simpler for a lot of people I suppose. That's what I found when I looked into the previous big "flat" when I was testing my back then unreleased system and the keys were 4 ref. The same behavior is now happening at 5 ref, and I believe it's the whole number psychological effect showing in item-item trades again.

In any case, let's see where the numbers go next, if you're still reading at this point thanks for your patience :)

My analysis about the 5 ref flat top.

First let me explain what min/max represent: they represent the min and max medians for a period of 24 hours.

What's important here is that they're medians, not standard deviation nor mean-absolute deviations.

Now concerning the 5 ref, I've noticed the same flat behavior when I was testing my system and the keys were at 4 ref back then.

My system measures item values based on their trading with other items and/or metal. However the psychology of item-item trades differs from pure item-metal trades, and I'll explain why next. Note that in terms of volume, there are a lot more item-item trades than pure item-metal trades, in consequence they act a lot in the median.

My analysis is that a lot of people like whole numbers when trading some hat or some weapon + metal for a key. It appears to make the arithmetic simpler for a lot of people I suppose. That's what I found when I looked into the previous big "flat" when I was testing my back then unreleased system and the keys were 4 ref. The same behavior is now happening at 5 ref, and I believe it's the whole number psychological effect showing in item-item trades again.

In any case, let's see where the numbers go next, if you're still reading at this point thanks for your patience :)

It looks very inorganic.  Also, I have posted the same question in your discusion section.  We will se what comes out of this.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/trade_tf/discussions/0/810924133958252441/

It looks very inorganic.  Also, I have posted the same question in your discusion section.  We will se what comes out of this.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/trade_tf/discussions/0/810924133958252441/

Thanks Charlie, I gave more details in my answer in the group discussion.

To Iris, no there's no cap whether lower or higher for any item. Feel free to ask questions in my trade.tf steam forums if you need more help.

As a user of technology I am suspicious of any heavily automated processes, and I firmly believe in Occam's Razor. That's why I don't use warehouse or TF2Finance. The same goes for overly opaque services (and yes, I'm aware that's why some people ignore bp.tf).

As an objective observer I am impressed with the amount of effort that went into it (if genuine), am curious about it's potential uses and implications, but ultimately both of those are eclipsed by its noticeable flaws.

As a trader I don't find the "good deals" tool useful; I do not base my trading strategies around quicksells, and since the list doesn't update often and all its contents are quicksells it's fairly useless. The pricelist is not a go-to because of the first thing I listed. I'll pop in to check it now and then or to verify something I already know, but I doubt the bookmark will be used much.

As a backpack.tf admin I have no concrete opinions about it until it's done. The vocal minority of people who hate bp.tf will hate us no matter what (and rest assured they are a minority if our traffic numbers are any indicator). You're assuming that there will be competition when most people prefer one and only one source; People still use spreadsheet after all.

I'm not going to let some imaginary competition change any of my day-to-day activities--I already invest a lot of time into trying to help the site best I can.

There, happy? I have no personal stake in the success of the website, my opinions/analyses aren't any more interesting or valid than anyone else's. If you want an interesting perspective I suggest you ask Brad.

Are you not a moderator on this site?

How can you claim not being objective?

It doesnt matter if all your opinions are truthful or not, you are still bias since you are a moderator on this site. 

It doesnt matter if all your opinions are truthful or not, you are still bias since you are a moderator on this site. 

Read the last paragraph again ;D

The ability to step away from your biases is a very useful skill, even though it's never perfectly effective

• 2 weeks later...

It will be super-lol when sales or re-releases happens but other than that its quite amazing and I will definately use it as reference material.

Following up, there's sale on backpack expanders on steam, plus ton of new items, the system seems to adapt properly.

Backpack expanders:

http://www.trade.tf/price/5050/6

Some new items (some ranges can be wide due to item variability):

http://www.trade.tf/price/30036/6

http://www.trade.tf/price/30054/6

http://www.trade.tf/price/30034/6

etc...

The robocrate key:

http://www.trade.tf/price/5636/-1

wows. Sellers still success at 2keys?(bp)

geez, I have 11 robottype hats. Better sell them quick. Lookit dat terrilow price at bicorne.

wows. Sellers still success at 2keys?(bp)

geez, I have 11 robottype hats. Better sell them quick. Lookit dat terrilow price at bicorne.

The min, max, median are for 24 hours, so the median should follow the min by 12 hours.

Min/max really represent the interval of uncertainty, meaning the price is somewhere in that interval.

Please make a setting were you can choose to only search Outpost, backpack etc.

Archived