How to Use Backpack.tf PROPERLY

AwesomeMcCoolName

How to use Backpack.tf PROPERLY

You see it a lot in trading:
"You're offering less than Backpack.tf you must be a scammer"
"You're asking for more than Backpack.tf you must be a scammer"
"Backpack.tf says this....stop trying to scam me"
or some variation of that...

The point is, people don't understand how backpack.tf (or any price guide for that matter) works.

1) How it Works

• Users Suggest a price.
  • Users Vote on the price.
  • Mods accept/reject the suggestion depending on the proof/votes (mainly proof)

2) Accuracy

• With normal items Backpack.tf is incredibly accurate as the price system works off of averages, the more an item is traded, the more proof there is, the more accurate a suggestion will be. 
  • Alternatively, unusuals are far rarer. In general there are 5-10 of a specific hat with a specific effect on the market. So getting an exact price is nearly impossible. And since there are so few, they tend to sell for different amounts each time. With a normal item the outliers average out, and you end up with a nice number. Unfortunately with unusuals the outlying sales don't really average out, hence the need for a range. Another issue is that the range can't encompass all sales, as sometimes people sell cheap and quick, other times people sit on the items for months and get lucky (known as outliers).

3) Data Interpretation 

• There are no set prices in trading. People can ask/pay whatever they want. 
  • Backpack.tf provides the average value an item is traded for. Meaning the item can sell for more/less than the listed price. 
  • Always check the date the price was suggested (especially with unusuals) 
    • Unusuals are quite unstable to begin with, so they can easily fluctuate making an old price out-of-date. This is especially true with new hats/effects as there initial prices is usuall based on hype.
  • ​Unpriced items are another big issue that has come up more recently. Some people refuse to accept any unusual that is unpriced--this, however, is incredibly flawed logic. Just because a price isn't listed doesn't mean it doesn't have a price. More than likely it has sold multiple times (and therefore has a price), its just that no one got around to suggesting a price for it. 

4) How Should Backpack.tf be used

• See when the suggestion of an item was accepted. If the price was just accepted its probably pretty accurate.
  • If it was accepted a while ago, look on Outpost and see what people are asking, and what they are actually getting (Yes, there is a BIG difference between asking and acutally selling)
  • Backpack.tf prices are a GUIDE. Do not take them as a definite price. Do your own research. Backpack.tf's purpose is to help you get a general idea of an items worth without spending time trying to figure out its exact price.

5) Common Misconceptions about Backpack.tf

• The arrows associated with recently changed prices refer to the change that WAS made. It does NOT mean that the item is going up/down, it just means the current price is higher/lower than the previous price.
  • Votes are NOT a 100% thing.
    • A suggestion with more upvotes than downvotes can be rejected, while a suggestion with more downvotes than upvotes can be accepted. This is especially evident on key suggestions
    • Four types of voters.  
      • Ones that vote based on the proof provided.
      • Ones that vote based on his personal opinion.
      • Ones that vote for his own benefit.
      • Ones that blindly vote without thinking.
    • So because of this, if the proof clearly points against the voters, the suggestion will be accepted/denied no matter what the votes say. 
    • A prime example of why mods can override votes: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/52f074794cd7b85d518b4568
      • This suggestion was up for about a day in the wrong currency, and therefore completely wrong, yet somehow it has a 75% upvote percentage.
  • Mods are NOT here to support your suggestion. They will go through and verify proof, but don't expect them to do the heavy lifting and find it for you. 
  • Like 11

very different

Fixed.

Title needs a rewrite.

I thought this was another guide for good suggestions.

"How to use Backpack.tf Properly" doesn't sound like a suggestion related thing. (Not to me anyway :S)

• Like 1

Fixed.

"How to use Backpack.tf Properly" doesn't sound like a suggestion related thing. (Not to me anyway :S)

you haven't made a suggestion in two months :S

I mainly suggest, then I read prices. I guess it's just me then :(

Im going to be making a Youtube video about this, showing what all the buttons do and how to properly use them. Im going to steal a couple pointers from here probably. Kthx <3

• 1 month later...

How to really use backpack.tf:

First off, the lower priced and more common the item, the more accurate the price listed will be.

Second, you should ascertain the pricing trends. Bp.tf makes it easy; just click price and view item information. For example, lets look at the strange escape plan.

http://backpack.tf/stats/775/11/0 As you can see the price is going up. Long as its not in new crates itll continue to go up. Place a buy order for 3ref s escape plans. Search out all 3 ref s escape plans and buy them all. If you do it enough youll force up the price. Maybe resell all at 4. Eventual profit.

Some items however are on a downward trend. Sticking with stranges, u get offered a festive holy mackreal for your 4 keys 2 ref. Bp.tf says iz gud deal. The trend says youll lose money if u decide not to flip instantly. http://backpack.tf/stats/999/11/0 In this case its a bad long term investment.

Most non new hats can be gotten at 1.33ref Good luck trying for to sell non new hats for like 1.55ref. Very little demand.

Midtier wise, usually its advantage buyer. Since there are literally 100's selling a bills or some sort of strange or vintage, finding lower than suggested is doable. Maybe get a free strange part on the weapon or free paint. Selling at higher end suggested price will require searching or effort usually.

In terms of ununusals, bp.tf accuracy varies. A desired item like an unusual tossle thats 1 of 1 on market means advantage seller. If they want item, the buyer meets your terms or doesnt get it. Unusually youll have to overpay bp.tf price Got some low tier unusual hat with 9 others sellin means youll have competiion and tf2op buyers will try to force you to lower your asking price. You may end up selling for less than what bp.tf said. With your average unusual youll need autobump and probably some searching to get desired price.

In terms of keys, well you should've caught on to the trend long ago. If ref stay at $.35 the natural limit seems to be 7ref, maybe 6ish if u factor steam market. Til 6ref+ gets accepted, the price aint stopping, convert ref when u can.

P.S NEVER EVER TRADE PEOPLE WITH A BUNCH OF COLORED TEXT IN TRADE NOTES. Yeah it looks nice but usually youll lose out trading them. And they're usually quite mean. Or if they got a bunch of hidden offers, like literally dozens, some with good offers. And lastly dont be lazy, do your own research. Sometimes youll find a gem or an upcoming trend.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The best way to use backpack.tf is to simply use it as a backpack viewer, and nothing else. Prices on here are not accurate, they are voted on. Voting doesn't mean anything, because the only people who's opinions are represented are those who voted. And the people who are voting are doing so on a range that ONE person suggested. And in the end, who's to say the staff member who authorizes the price change even bothered to look at the proof? This system is extremely limited, and does not represent the entire trading community. People are lazy and they don't want to do any research, so they come here and see what the suggested price is and just use that. You may say 'Well, that's how it works.' But should it REALLY work that way? Backpack.tf seems to be a way for more intelligent traders to take advantage of those who are too lazy to do their own research. I applaud the site for it's attention to detail, and it's large community, but I just don't see it as a positive way to influence the Team Fortress 2 economy.

This is not an accurate pricing system, at least not in my eyes. If you want to believe it is, that's fine by me, I won't try to convince anyone otherwise. I just wanted to state my thoughts.

Sites like this one have turned the Team Fortress 2 economy into an imperfect competition. Hell, even Valve is making their own economy worse. I just don't know if it will ever get better. I highly doubt it, but I'll be watching from the sides just in case my wish comes true.

The best way to use backpack.tf is to simply use it as a backpack viewer, and nothing else. Prices on here are not accurate, they are voted on. Voting doesn't mean anything, because the only people who's opinions are represented are those who voted. And the people who are voting are doing so on a range that ONE person suggested. And in the end, who's to say the staff member who authorizes the price change even bothered to look at the proof? 

This system is extremely limited, and does not represent the entire trading community. People are lazy and they don't want to do any research, so they come here and see what the suggested price is and just use that. You may say 'Well, that's how it works.' But should it REALLY work that way?

Backpack.tf seems to be a way for more intelligent traders to take advantage of those who are too lazy to do their own research. I applaud the site for it's attention to detail, and it's large community, but I just don't see it as a positive way to influence the Team Fortress 2 economy.

This is not an accurate pricing system, at least not in my eyes. If you want to believe it is, that's fine by me, I won't try to convince anyone otherwise. I just wanted to state my thoughts.

Sites such as this have turned the Team Fortress 2 economy into an imperfect competition. Hell, even Valve is making their own economy worse. I just don't know if it will ever get better. I highly doubt it, but I'll be watching from the sides just in case my wish comes true.

And thats why a mode can override the voters; because many voters don't even look at the proof, and many more vote based on what they want to happen. Well, we all know the mods look at the proof; just look through some accepted/rejected suggestions and you can see that mods clearly look through the proof (and usually look for more proof) in case you missed anything. Of the 240~ unusual suggestions only 3 have been rejected; one when i was new to making suggestions, and the other two were because i missed something and the mod who was reviewing it, caught it. So if a mod is checking the suggestions of someone who has an almost perfect record, and someone who has tons of experience do you honestly believe that they aren't checking the proof on all the other suggestions (i'm not saying a mistake can't be made from time to time, and they miss something as well--we're all human). 

People are idiots. Theres no argument here. Bp.tf clearly says on every page that has prices listed: "This is a guide, take it with a grain of salt." (paraphrased). Bp.tf is meant to be used as a quick resource, you check the price to get a quick idea of an unusuals worth (make sure to check the age of the listed price), and if its at least close to what you want look into it yourself. But if you have a 10 bud unusual and someone offers you a PE fedora, you might want to take a quick peak and see if its a 4 bud hat, or a 15 bud hat. Is 100% accurate 100% of the time? No. Its very accurate at the time the suggestion was made, but slowly becomes less and less accurate as time goes by. 

O, god....you can't be serious. Yes, by listing prices and preventing people from getting sharked/making stupid-ass trades is definitely helping the richer traders, because informing people of what they're hat is worth is the best way to tell them its worth less. 

Please, go find me a price that has been recently suggested (the past week or two) thats wrong, and show me why its wrong. I'll wait.

And what are you talking about? The TF2 economy is flourishing...Do explain how its getting "worse". There are new hats, effects, qualities, stranges, crates, etc... all of which are constantly stimulating economic growth. Keys (the main currency of TF2) has been quite stable (a good sign of a stable economy)--its when keys (main currency) start to crash that the economy is in a downward spiral, not the other way around. Look at any economy in real life. You know an economy is doing bad when the currency is being devalued every day, and the cost of regular day items are increasing (food, electronics, etc...). Last time i checked thats not the case in TF2. 

• 2 months later...

Them:"Your not paying for bp.tf price bro. you're scamming me"

Me: "sir. if you read. it states 'suggested price'. Suggested. not permanent price"

almost any trader that has less then 400 hours on tf2 and has less then a 2.5 buds bp

Im going to be making a Youtube video about this, showing what all the buttons do and how to properly use them. Im going to steal a couple pointers from here probably. Kthx <3

What happened to this s video?

• 6 months later...

Eh, Not too fussed about BP.TF. I use it to buy and sell stuff and that's about it. I don't take the prices and use them in trading servers.

• 1 year later...

I can see how using backpack.tf is confusing to new members. Heck I'm also confused at times but I luckily there's guides and forum posts like these to help.

That being said, to sharpen up my skills I'd love to see that video mentioned earlier. Does anyone have a link to it?

Otherwise what do you guys think of this guide, it's pretty basic but might help new members: backpacktfguide.tumblr.com

• Like 1

I can see how using backpack.tf is confusing to new members. Heck I'm also confused at times but I luckily there's guides and forum posts like these to help.

That being said, to sharpen up my skills I'd love to see that video mentioned earlier. Does anyone have a link to it?

Otherwise what do you guys think of this guide, it's pretty basic but might help new members: backpacktfguide.tumblr.com

A few issues to fix:

1. Backpack.tf isn't built-in support. For one, no one's willing to help you here, except provide some answers. Not sure what is meant by that sentence but, I believe you meant  "The website, backpack.tf, was built in support for a first person shooter ...." - It's already been built.

2. It's created by a 3rd party (Brad Pitt, Fiskie, Dr. McKay), for clarification.

• Like 1